Augen 12” Cherry Wood Digital Picture Frame

is it just me, or does the dude in the picture look like he’s flippin us the bird?

He’s flipping the bird because woot won’t tell us the resolution.

He’s holding a very small sign with the resolution of the screen printed on it in 4-point type.

Hey, That fat dude is flippin me off. Ha! Gota luv WOOT!

Unbelievable that nobody who bought this on Woot can’t tell us how it looks at least!

After you said that, I looked at the picture closely and he is flipping the bird. Wow I can’t believe that woot didn’t catch that, or maybe woot is trying to tell us something???

If Augens own website does not give the resolution then it must not be good, (or their Chinese manufacturer didn’t tell them the resolution). This is very disappointing as knowing the resolution is very important when choosing a decent digital photo frame. It makes a much bigger difference in picture quality than you may think. Higher resolution “usually” equates to better looking pictures. I have seen a 10" Pan Digital frame with 1024 x 768 resolution, and it looked much, much better than the 12" Smart Parts frame (800 x 600) which was sitting right next to it. By the way, stay away from Smart Parts frames. I have not yet seen one from their company that had good picture quality or decent user controls.

After looking at Augen’s other frames I doubt resolution is that good because their 7" frames only have a 480 x 234 resolution which is not all that great.

Old woot.com blog entry from another time they sold these on regular woot: http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=5201

“Alas, the JPGs and BMPs themselves leave something to be desired. The resolution is so poor, the manufacturers don’t even tell you what it is. We haven’t seen this many ugly pixels since the last time we moderated the Shirt.Woot Derby.”

It does LOOK pretty though, better than most of the other ones with the giant plastic surrounds. If it is infact 800x600, I’d think it should look alright as long as you don’t get too close

Augen’s 7" frames are all running at 234x480 which means they are 76 DPI If this unit ran at 600x800 it would be running at 83 DPI. I wouldn’t expect them to be running at 1024x768 (107 DPI).

that guy looks so much like my brother’s best friend that it is scary. I mean, I honestly thought it was him at first.

It’s a nice digital frame, but I need it to come down in price, personally.

Utah is once again all lit up tonight. This is perfect for all those “Family” photos. And, its big enough to show the whole family and still make out each of their faces. Now, to my question. Can this be hung on the wall? I assume it can, as most of these can be wall hung however, it does not say for sure. Anyone know?

click on the picture to get a popup pic of the rear of the unit plus all of the accessories.

If someone can mount a deer’s head on a wall, I’m sure we can get this little frame up there. FYI: most of the time those mettallic stands in the middle either completely flatten out or come off completely for easier wall mounting

It’s a real shame about the resolution, this frame is exactly what I’ve been searching for otherwise.

The resolution on this picture frame is 800X600. The LCD panel used is a Samsung LT121S1-153. Specs here: http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/112-9455-167/Samsung-LT121S1-153-12-TFT-LCD.html Woot should have been able to easily open one of these up and tell us that much at least.

Got mine from last woot off. Stay away from this crap! you may be ok if it is your first frame, but I could not stand it for 5 sec after being used to my 5’’ philips frame. Resolution is way low, color is dull ,way out of balance and not adjustable. The only pros is its size.

Until they start making frames that have a 2560x1920 resolution, are less than .5 inches thick, and cost about this price, I’m uninterested.

so is someone trying to be belushi and is that supposed to represent alpine valley?

who is in concert this weekend at alpine valley? jimmy buffet.

based upon what I see in the back side picture, no, this one is not meant for hanging on the wall. it sure looks like a fat pig from the side.

I need this just for my dorm room. The size is nice, but resolution doesn’t seem that great from what others have said. Would you recommend if I just need it for pictures of friends?

First, let me say that 4:3 frames seem hard to come by, so if you are looking for a frame I would give this a closer look … it seems like most frames are 16:9 or 16:10 these days, which I think is stupid since (most) cameras don’t take pictures in those aspect ratios so your images are either stretched, cropped, or letter-boxed.

Having said that, digital frames are very tough to buy on specs alone … I agree that 800x600 does not sound like many dots on a 12" LCD, but image quality is very subjective and depends on several other factors just as much as the resolution … brightness and contrast, normal viewing distance, etc.

If sfay93 is correct about the model of screen in this frame, then we’re looking at a laptop screen, which means that it’s probably a decent screen, and has been used on laptops by Dell and others.

Try this experiment … set your computer LCD (which is presumably a lot bigger than 12") to 800x600 and put a photo on it full screen but don’t spend much time looking at it just yet … now stand back a long ways, say, 12’ or more and look at the image … as you move closer the image will look worse and worse, and it will probably look really crappy when you sit the normal distance from your monitor. This frame will do the same thing, but not that badly because it is smaller. If you want to take it even farther, you could try to size your screen so that you could fit an 800x600 12" diagonal image in the middle of the screen, but I’m not sure it will give you any better information.

PC LCD’s are not bright … maybe 300-400 nit for a typical screen … so use the above test to see if you think the image would be bright enough in your typical application.

Personally, I wouldn’t use a 12" frame like this on my desk where it would be within a couple feet of my eyes, but I think it would work well on a bookshelf or table where folks would typically be 3-4’ or more from it when they’re looking at it … for a desk, I would get a 7" or 8" with 800x600.

Sorry for the ramble, but hope it helps someone … cheers