AUX DÉLICES DES BOIS and STEVEN RAICHLEN GRILLING BUTTERS

My wife and I spend our summers on Martha’s Vineyard, and have discovered one of our favorite meals–grilled line-caught swordfish–is even better when topped with the herbed Meyer lemon butter.

I love truffles but I’m afraid $8.25 for a 3.5oz tube is a bit too expensive for me. That’s about $40 a pound for butter…

Certainly yummy but I’m not deserving.

Who is the fisherman in the family?

You really need to compare it with the real thing:
Truffles(FYI:Last year the Black truffles were over 1k and white truffle over $3k)

I have been friends with the Farges for nearly 30 years. I met Amy when we were both studying at La Varenne–before she met and married her French husband, Thierry. Have you had their truffle butters before? Sensational.

Ha, ha! The swordfish are safe from us personally, though we do enjoy digging clams in Katama Bay.

It’s easy to spend more than $40 on a single bottle of wine. The butters are intensely flavored, and will enhance several meals.

There is nothing really perishable in these butters. The high fat contents prevent spoilage. Butter goes rancid over time, but not really because of heat. In fact, many inns leave their butter on the table at room temperature. Refrigeration will of course help for longterm storage, but the few days of transit makes refrigeration irrelevant – for taste.

The biggest concern is that the butter might melt and leave a blob instead of the nice sausage shape it normally has. It’s not easy slicing a blob, but you can always use a spoon.

I have watched your show before, and I think it is informative. But I have one complaint.
You say that you are in Tucson on the show, you are in Tubac aren’t you?
Why the misleading information?
Tubac is not Tucson.
If this is wrong, I am sorry.

Man, Stephen is here? Really?

OK, Steve, it was 116 in Phoenix today. Is an icepack REALLY going to help me out? Will I need to POUR the butter in my freezer when I get home from work?

The next question, how do you keep the grills so SPOTLESS on the show? My brother and I are smokers, and our grills look like caca, after 2 or 3 uses. (I know it is cooler down in Tucson, than here in Mesa and Chandler, but that wouldn’t affect the grills, would it?)

steve (Yes, I’m a Steve, too!)

I keep missing the 8 oz black truffle and white truffle butters. I had some in the freezer but had to throw them out due to a cross country move. I ended up buying a 3 oz Black Truffle butter from Whole Foods Market for $10.99. Please bring back the 8 oz sizes to woot!

Ha, I was just watching PBS on Sunday and wondered how the grill was so clean! I figured the sponsors give them a nice clean grill to use each show.

When I purchased the 8oz truffle butters the first time, they came in a small styrofoam box with a teeny ice pack. It was no longer cold when I finally got it.

No, but you can hit it with a rock, unless you’re a girl. (Then, it will take 2 rocks.)

steve

In that kind of heat, you must be able grill right on the sidewalk. The butter may arrive soft, but not spoiled. The tubes are sealed. We have had plenty of butter meltdowns, but once you slap it on your salmon, the herbs or truffle or bbq flavor will melt anyway! PS I’m wearing a sweatshirt.

So I looked it up, he is filming in Rio Rico, which is still not Tucson, but in his show, and in promos, we are told that he is in Tucson, but he is not. As a person who lives in Tucson this is very annoying it would be like someone in San Fransisco saying they are in Napa when they are not.

This 4-pack includes the same truffle butters you missed last time…as well as Steven’s amazing Barbecue Butter and his Herb Meyer Lemon Butter.

I absolutely love truffle butter and don’t have access to those speciality items in bodunk southern Illinois. I received the truffle butters at christmas time last year and made some awesome meals with them.

Thanks! Why stop there? Steven has just the right touch with grilling and with butters. We are devouring the barbecue butter with everything - slathered on shrimp, corn on the cob, tucked in burgers, tossed into pulled pork.

Except I want the truffle butters only in 8oz size. I do not like Meyer Lemon.

I almost never pull this line, but it has merit in this instance: Why on earth would I pay 30 dollars for what amounts to less than a pound of butter when I can make the same quantity of superior quality with nothing more than a Kitchenaid stand mixer, about 10 dollars worth of products, and a little know-how? Hell, if I’m not mistaken, the recipes are in his book “Sauces, Rubs and Marinades”, though I’m too lazy to go downstairs and check the book. Maybe Planet Barbecue. Can’t recall.

Again, I try to refrain from using this bit because I usually find it annoying, but that’s a ridiculously high price for some compound butter that just happens to have the name of a well-known barbecue chef on them.

Edit: I went downstairs and looked. Page 446 of BBQ USA has a citrus butter that can be modified to imitate the lemon butter, and in the books I have (BBQ USA, Planet BBQ, Sauces Rubs & Marinades, & BBQ Bible) there is no facsimile of the truffle butters, though there is something that could be easily adapted to create the butter w/ liquid smoke infusion and a Google search pulled up a million truffle butters.

Not hatin’, just sayin’. At $14.99, probably woulda got me. 30 is too ambitious.