CONDITION: Fresh-Churned
PRODUCTS:
1 Black Truffle Butter - 8 oz.
1 White Truffle Butter - 8 oz

Product website
Product website

Previous offer:
12/16/10

I still have most of mine left (frozen) from last time. It enhances flavors but doesn’t overwhelm with it’s own flavor.

What exactly makes this butter worth $29.99/lb? Cuz I’m not buying it.

I would be in for one, but still have both in the freezer–been chipping away at both of them at every opportunity, but when it’s just me… If you are wavering, BUY IT. Just tonight I had a lovely salad, toasted baguette bread and crab legs with the white truffle butter, along with a glass of the Racchus white (mislabled?). YUM!!

Truffles, which cost thousands of dollars per pound.

If you haven’t tried truffles, this is a good intro - I was in for two last time, one set for a gift. Both the recipient and I were happy.

And it keeps well, I still have a frozen stash. Check out the prior Woot comments, the producers were online.

Isn’t this the same thing or am i wrong?

http://www.earthy.com/Black_Truffle_Butter_by_Aux_Delices_des_Bois__8_oz_log_P1452.cfm

If this is the same then this woot is a bad deal.

The fact that one of them contains chunks of black truffle and the other white. Very expensive fungi those are. The butter itself is also top quality, but that’s beside the point.

If I go to the nearest place where something comparable is offered, I would pay $22+tax for an 8 oz. tube of the stuff. This stuff isn’t cheap but it’s a pretty good value for what it is.

Truffles are expensive.

Yes, Ty has told us the Racchus white was supposed to be labeled “Rollus.”

I’m betting that if I buy $30 worth of truffles and $5 worth of butter at Whole Foods and blend them in my food processor I get a whole lot more than 1 lb.

That is exactly my thought on this. I understand the expense of truffles. I understand the yummy of good butter… I just don’t get paying that much for a combo of them.? Ah well, to each their own. If you love it, go for it. As for me, I will pass on this one.

At 8% the cost of fresh truffles, and fresh-churned Wisconsin butter… (I copied that from the transatlantic foods website) it’s a great way to add the truffle flavor without breaking the bank.

Well, you’d probably end up with truffle mush instead of chunks, but that’s an interesting idea.

Well that’s kind of true with anything, innit it? Not going to be the exact same thing tho, 'cause I’m pretty sure these guys aren’t using grocery store value butter.

That’s why I mentioned the “mislabled,” so I wouldn’t get pinged on calling Racchus “white.” I’ve already put in my “whine” to the Amazing WD hoping to see the white Racchus or the actual Rollus! Come on Ty… let’s see you in one way or another!

Where are you going to buy $30 worth of truffles? Is that $15 of white and $30 of black? Where can you buy less than a whole one?

Good luck finding “truffles” locally, at least where I live in the boondocks, truffles are only an on line purchase.
I bought this at christmas time, it was fantastic!!!

This is absolutely lovely to cook with - I’ve used it in pasta, on steak … I have plenty in the freezer but as soon as I get low, I will be praying for it to show up again.

Here’s a quick source for black truffles (the cheap ones):

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Black-Winter-Truffles-45/dp/B0002Q1X6C

$30 will get you almost 1.5 ounces, I’m guessing 2 pounds of butter for $5? Let us know how it turns out.

Edit: Here’s a recipe:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/TruffleButter.htm

2 - 4 ounces of truffles per pound of butter.