Baetje Cheese, 4 Pack

Baetje Cheese, 4 Pack

I like good cheese but $34.75 a lbs is pretty high even for a good cheese.

2 Likes

Wine.woot became Gourmet.woot and started selling gold dust?!?! :roll_eyes:

At this price I can but won’t, say cheeeeeeeese!

Thanks, but no thanks! :disappointed:

1 Like

Yes, good cheese is surprisingly expensive. I’m not talking the crap cheese in the dairy section most grocery stores. Even ones with a specialty cheese department generally have more mass produced “artisanal” cheeses, and they aren’t cheap.
This looks like a good deal. One of the cheeses is out of stock. If my math is correct, the total cost of cheese is about $9 off the listed pricing. Factoring in the shipping @ $25 additional, I think this offering is a real savings.
I’m definitely in for one.

I’m very interesting in this cheese, but I live in Arizona. Unless I can be assured that this is sent overnight with a ton of freezer packs (which I know is quite expensive), then I can’t risk buying it.

However, I do plead to Woot and Baetje to please offer this (or a similar pack) again in a time frame from like December to February when shipping to Arizona isn’t prohibited by temperature. Thanks!

Even at local great food and cheese stores with gourmet cheese offerings $35/lb is far over anything I’ve seen. Woot’s gourmet offerings often seem to try to see what people will overpay $50 bucks for.

1 Like

Shipping Info

Good morning.

Product ships 2-day with ice packs

2 Likes

The prices are listed in the cheese makers website. Woot isn’t doing anything, other than giving a small producer some exposure to a wider audience.
In return, the seller is knocking about 10 bucks off their price, and covering shipping costs (expedited 2 days, cold packed) that’s worth another 25 bucks.
Personally, I like seeing this type of offering.
We’re not going out much, so throwing together a nice charcuterie plate once in a while is a pleasant change of pace.

1 Like

I came up with $35.05/lb, not including shipping.

1 Like

Shipping is free for others from Gourmet.

I wouldn’t say that, quite. I’ve been to great cheese stores, and I absolutely see cheeses there for $35/lb or more! I’ve tried some samples, and it is, unsurprisingly, fantastic. Of course, I also see plenty of cheese there for far less than that that’s also still quite good, not to mention great cheeses at Grocery Outlet and at Trader Joes for waaaaay less, much of which, again, is still quite good. But I certainly have seen cheese that expensive at fancy cheese shops, and I don’t have anything against them for selling it for that much if people buy it.

(Actually, last time I was at a fancy cheese shop, I absolutely fell in love with one specific cheese I got to try, that was around that much, and I did indeed end up buying a few ounces of it, it was just too good. Pretty huge difference between buying a few oz of a cheese you just tried and loved for that price per pound, and buying over a pound of random cheese without getting to try it first or have a say in what type of cheese it is, though. Doesn’t change the fact that really good cheese is legitimately, reasonably, pretty expensive.)

1 Like

This was not a good deal. Current prices at the Baetje Farms website:
1 - Bloomsdale ($15, but currently out of stock)
1 - Miette ($15)
1 - Coeur de la Crème Plain ($10)
1 - Coeur de la Crème-Bavarian Lemon Curd ($12)
Sum = $52.00

Also, the Miette is currently available as an optional special for 2 for $25 and the Coeur de la Crème hearts are available as an optional special for 3 for $25.

Note: Baetje Farms website routinely offers free 2-day shipping on orders of $50 or more. However, whenever Woot has an offer for their cheese, the free 2-day shipping requires an order of $75 or more.
(The recent Woot deal on Point Reyes cheese was a very good deal for some superb cheese. $42.99 for 6 six ounce wedges of cheese that would cost about $72 + shipping on the Point Reyes website.)

You are correct. I rounded up a couple tenths of a pound. The point is you can get decent cheeses for $9 a lbs. If you want to step it up a notch and get more unusual cheeses, good imported cheeses, you are usually talking about $16 a lbs. As an example you can find a good Valencay cheese imported from France for about $25 a lbs. These are from small suppliers and much of the cost is transport from France, import duties, etc… Sure if you shop at a boutique shop or something very unusual (aged for long periods, made from donkey milk, etc…) they are more expensive. However if you are paying much more than $16 a lbs for more normal good cheeses, you are buying into that fallacy that more expensive is better. It is the same ridiculousness of putting gold foil on a hamburger and charging $100 for it. Yes these are probably very nice cheeses and being from a small supplier I would be willing to pay a bit more but $35 a lbs for a discounted price is about double what you should be paying for a bulk discounted order of a cheese that is not shipped over seas and includes import duties, etc…