Balloon Dog - Small - Black Metal

Balloon Dog - Small - Black Metal

Hmmmmmm…this design is clearly a nod to Jeff Koons. Does anyone know who made this dog, and/or the company selling this tchotchke?
contemporary art GIF by The Broad Museum

3 Likes

I have this in gold - it is pretty heavy and solid

I am getting this one too

2 Likes

According to the Amazon listing, it’s “GTP Green Tree Products Plush Image.” I don’t know if they are related or if Koons can copyright or trademark that look since balloon animals are balloon animals, or even if the sculpture was created before or after the item being sold. That’s beyond my knowledge level. I can say there are differences between his sculpture and the item being sold here.

(Please note: I don’t work for Woot, I just volunteer to help out here on the forums.)

3 Likes

Thank you both for the information:) I sincerely appreciate your time in answering.

There may NEED to be a purchase in my future!
:balloon::dog::balloon:

3 Likes

I have a weenie dog version of this (body section is longer, legs shorter), but it’s white - wish it was this pretty metallic silver!! Might have to paint it…

4 Likes

Love the feisty Dachshund!!! Totally recommend painting your weiner pup sculpture a flashy metallic hue - that’s how Jeff would want it:)
:balloon::dog::balloon::dog::balloon::dog::balloon::dog::balloon::dog::balloon::dog::balloon::dog::balloon::dog::balloon::dog::balloon::dog::balloon:
I did it…I pulled the trigger and bought the sculpture…darn you, Woot! Now I have to keep working…and maybe find a side hustle if they keep adding art :art::framed_picture::paintbrush: pieces.

Here’s something else by J. Koons - “Puppy’s Flower” - the one I saw was in Bilbao.
Memorable.
Birds had nested inside - a living, living artwork.
Had to share, thanks for responding :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I am not even a gold color kind of gal and I adore mine

2 Likes

The description says the material is resin, and the color is black metal. So we have a piece of plastic trying to look like metal, trying to look like balloons that are trying to look like a dog, trying to look like it’s worth $20. And failing at every step (in my opinion).

2 Likes

Ha!!! Well observed!
You must be familiar with Koons’ work and his intentional message of consumerism and mass production. Pop artists love this kind of bourgeois message and play on ‘what is art’.

Check out this most respected (loose term - taste is in the beholder) sculpture (Pink Panther, 1988) of his - it’s in the MoMA:

Imagine this bad boy in your dojo:)

2 Likes

Here is his playdoh

His 10 feet tall sculpture, Balloon Dog sold for $58 million in 2013.

$20 million for playdoh 14’ tall

Pink Panther USD 15,845,000

2 Likes

Bound to Fail

1 Like

I love this Arty thread!!!
Thank you for the Wooture!

Tom Hanks Fancy GIF

4 Likes

Great idea - start a Wooture thread. I am not huge into art, but I love to learn and I am a huge fan of Banksy, flash mobs, and Broadway

2 Likes

“Local Man Devoured By Elephant”
The remains of local artist Roy G. Biv, who was reported missing earlier this week, were found this morning inside the elephant compound at the Central Zoo.

7 Likes

That’s so sad! Roy was such a colorful character. May he rest in pieces… er, peace.

5 Likes

That was excellent @Dsorgnzd and @peaceetc

2 Likes

Thanks, I hate it.