Bargetto Winery Mixed Red - 4 Pack

I’m not an old hand (not such an old one, anyhow), but I’ve read that most reds go through full MLF.

[How good is this deal?](http://bit.ly/fWHNwx" title="How good is this deal?)

Click the link above for full discount details, links, etc.

Indeed, that has already been established. What I was asking however, was whether all styles and all varietals of reds undergo MLF, or was it just for certain countries / styles, ancient or modern, whether it’s a necessary, or an old practice, or viniculturally inevitable…

I was thinking it would be great to hear from rpm about this winery considering their shared Italian heritage and time in the industry.

THANKS, rpm!

Not such a long time, actually:

March 8 Woot

I believe there are some particular styles/regions that don’t do MLF (I seem to recall something about colder climates) - I’ll see if I can find a link.

edit: I didn’t find anything very interesting. It does seem that MLF is left out of sweeter wines (such as Zin) sometimes, since it can throw them out of balance.

Also, from The Oxford Companion to Wine (Jancis Robinson):

“In hotter climates or warmer years in cooler areas, some winemakers deliberately suppress malolactic fermentation in some or all batches of a wine in order to maintain the wine’s acidity.”

Ah. At least it appears I missed it in a Woot off. Mandolina (through woot) popped my Nebbiolo cherry a few years ago. Of course, the love affair has been strengthened with the handful of Barolos I have been able to try. I had Mandolina in mind when I said I hadn’t seen one in quite some time, are there any other regular woot wineries that offer Nebbiolos?

Interesting to look at the WootMap, and see where the buyers are. Today, Colorado and nebraska. Go figure.

I don’t recall one - perhaps there was before I came here.

Recommended Wineries for Nebbiolo

Nebbiolo Wine Prices & Stores

YMMV, but I wouldn’t reject Nebbiolo blends out of hand - recently quite enjoyed this Bricco, an 80/20 Neb/Barbera blend, and found it an excellent value @ $25… along with Vietti’s similarly-priced Perbacco, a rare bargain from Piedmont.

But yeah, Nebbiolo is a role player in the blend on offer, not a majority partner. I’m still a bit intrigued in theory but have no room and no need for the others: already got a glut of those grapes. Like some of the regulars here, I really need to step up the drinking and slow down the buying.

Not sure about a getto bar wine. X

thanks for the tip on perbacco… that looks right up my street! now, where to find some…

thanks!
“add to cart”

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to look around town for the Bricco, but will likely have to end up ordering some online.

I am a member of Bargetto’s wine club, and in the interest of full disclosure, they borrow plants from my nursery when hosting weddings.

These reds are mainly fully-freakin-fruity-forward, but they are fairly well mannered otherwise.

At roughly $14 a bottle, this isn’t a terrible deal, and it’s a great way to get more familiar with the wine growing regions around the Monterey Bay.

Though let’s be honest, the best way to do that is by coming out and visiting yourself.

Two days, two offerings, no winery participation. I am disappoint.

Maybe WD is on a well-deserved vacation…

WD is doing a great job providing us offers. Wineries are doing a terrible job at helping us understand their wines.

Thank you for that info, and welcome! :slight_smile: