Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphones

I have a pair of sennheiser in-ear buds…best I’ve EVER owned. Paid $20 for them on clearance (newer model was out). I’ve been amazed at the clarity, richness, etc of the sound that comes out of those things for such a cheap price.

I also have to praise the Klipsch One headphones my wife and I both got on previous woot-offs for less than 1/4 the prices of a set of beats. Amazing sound quality. Sure, it’s got the bling klipsch name, but they are well made and sound excellent for the cheap price we paid for them.

Fun history lesson on Beats from Gizmodo:

As someone who has listened to every pair of headphones ever made (not really, but a heck of a lot), Beats are a lot like Bose in that they’ve got so much customer hype and brand equity in them, they can charge an exorbitant amount for a fair quality product. Again, a fair quality product. Beats aren’t junk. But they’re NO WHERE NEAR worth the price paid.

Sennheiser is a fantastic example of a company who makes high quality headphones at reasonable prices. I own the HD 203’s. 50 bucks and they, at least, rivail these Beats.

I heard someone mention Skull Candy as well. Honestly, I think a lot of their products are great buys for the money. Even the super cheap ink’d series sounds pretty damn nice for the $15 price. lol Don’t think you’d find another ear bud under $40 to beat them…and I own a pair of Etymotic ER-4P’s.

Another worthy of mention would be Grado. The SR60 might look “old school” to many, but they’re built to last and sound amazing. Like 80 bucks.

They’re actually pretty bad for the price. If you’re going to buy something with in this price range i highly suggest sennheiser. Want to know what the actual backdoor cost for these Beats costs? 100-150 dollars (You’ll see these on the store shelves for $300). Which makes sense because these headphones are more of a fashion accessory then a solid product. Plus monster cable makes these and they’re notorious for overpriced crap. These guys charge 50-100 dollars for HDMI cables…

As far as sound quality goes, they match up pretty well to $50-$60 closed headphones, but they are, and always have been priced crazy high because they are more about fashion than audio. I can’t even remember the last time I saw someone actually listening to their pair, they usually just walk around with them around then neck. I would think that for $200-$300 could could probably get a better necklace.

Spot on, I have yet to find a closed headphone under $200 that matches my Beyerdynamic DT-770s. I knew a few Beats Pro Studio owners that were actually quite angry when they listened to mine to compare. No one likes realizing they have been duped.

I have a pair, and have been stalking Woot for any offer for Monster earphones. I have the bluetooth version, and you hear parts of the music you never knew existed. And my home gear is Onkyo, I use FiiO soundcards, and you’re just unaware…

[MOD EDIT: Hey…cheer up there sport.]

over 200 bucks? Its the volt of headphones

I only use these with my Monster gold-plated wires. Playing from my iPhone. Playing VBR mp3s that are produced to fight in the loudness wars. With no amplifier for when I crank the volume above what the iPod can sustain. And I want to be deaf.

This looks like a good deal for Beats, but I’m not convinced Beats are a good deal for headphones.

These can’t beat my Grado cans. And my Grados are made in Brooklyn, NY, USA.

Why would you want to pay an extra $150 for headphones that deliberately distort the bass level? Almost any decent pair of headphones will deliver superior fidelity.

The headband is plastic and has a tendency to eventually crack clean across the center.

When I worked at an Apple Store, a lot of employees got these (we got a discount on them) and complained about them breaking.

I am not too keen on the supposed deal on this product. The concept of saving 80 bucks is nice, but when it comes from a product which is already three hundred bucks, and is only a set of headphones?

I personally feel you could do much better than this, by putting forth a little effort, and researching deals yourself.