Belkin n52te Tournament Edition SpeedPad

I just saw a thread about that on Tom’s Hardware, doesn’t seem all that promising: Belkin n52te and Windows 7 | Tom's Hardware Forum

Better price than NewEgg. Reviews there seemed to be relatively positive, although smaller hands might have issues. A few complaints about the directional pad. I’ve been having some issues with a game controller on my desktop, and this might be a solution. Hard to beat the price, too. I’ll go in for one and see how it ends up.

Would this help me as at TF2 engineer? I’m a mini dropper and will often deploy as many as 6 to take out one attacker

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CGdbWRAh_KI/S-2YdlJ6fnI/AAAAAAAABb4/vNOEWMgOJ1k/s400/powerglove.jpg

Plenty of newegg reviews say it works on Win 7 (x64 specifically) you’ll be hard pressed to find something that works on vista but not 7

Although there was one newegg reviewer who had problems with Win 7.

YMMV

I have the old fashioned Belkin n52, which I bought probably five years ago. I used it almost exclusively for World of Warcraft and Guild Wars. It worked great for both games, but especially World of Warcraft. The software that came with it (I’m guessing it this model is pretty similar to the old one I have) allows you to program macros and keys pretty specifically. I forget how much I paid for it way back when, but this seems like a pretty good deal, and if I still played WoW I would probably pick one up.

They are also very durable. Mine still works just as well as the day I got it, even with the (probably) hundreds of hours of use.

I would definitely recommend these gamepads.

I don’t even know how to use it, but Gosh! does it look totally cool or what?

How is this for playing World of Warcraft? I can’t my Blood Elf running in circles.

Okay, perhaps Im a n00b but what/how would one actually use this monstrosity? Is it a Keyboard?? I mean it has keys, but it also has a small looking joystick so is it a Mouse?

this almost would have been a certain buy, at $30 compared to the usual $70ish price value, for me. BUT, the incompatibility with windows 7 is what kills it for me :frowning:

sad day.

Ditto. This is one of the better “left hand” controllers… WASD basically. The right hand is for the mouse. The only controller that’s better would be… Microsoft Strategic Controller. :smiley:

I’ve always sort of wanted an n52, but could never really justify the cost without a specific need for it. I have the MS Strategic Commander that ArbysNight mentioned, the original G15 with the 18 macro keys, and a SteelSeries Merc keyboard with dedicated FPS keys on the left side.

However, at half the price and in Gamer Blue to match my G15 and Razer Diamondback (September '07 Sellout), I couldn’t resist.

Does anyone know if you can disable the under key LEDs? I have a primarily red lit system (including my keyboard and Razer mouse), so the blue would really throw it all off.

If not, has anyone seen a mod tutorial? :smiley:

If you’d read the whole thread you would have discovered the reason it didn’t work for him was a faulty usb extension cable.

I’m tempted, but thanks to Steve Jobs’ weird ideas about connectivity, my Mac laptop is kinda short on free USB ports. Has anyone successfully used it with a hub?

I wonder how this would be for non-gaming things, like image editing. Might be handy for shortcut keys in PhotoShop or Inkscape or something. Any thoughts?

I have the original Nostromo N52, that I got about 7 years ago. Great pad, awesome for FPSs.

From what I’ve read, the N52te uses different drivers than the Nostromo N52, but the Vista drivers for either work fine under Windows 7.

Yep, most of the lights can be turned off. The only light that will always be on is the mode light (blue, green, red) at the bottom right hand side. It is pretty bright but I just taped over it. I have had one for a few months now and I love it! Though it sucks that I paid a bit more for a used one on ebay…

Electrical tape?

otherwise you could void your warranty and open up the pad, there should be some pins similar to the front panel connectors on a motherboard.

Yes, you can disable the LED lighting via a switch on the bottom of the device.

This is a fantastic peripheral not only for gaming, I use it in conjunction with my Wacom tablet and it’s so much faster working in Photoshop. If you use a program that has a lot of keyboard shortcuts but don’t need to type much, this is well worth the money and then some. Honestly, I’d probably feel like my hands had been chopped off if I ever had to game without this. I pair this with the Razer Naga and I use my keyboard exclusively for chatting now, it has no other use when in games.

For those wondering about the joystick, you can pop that off and use it like a d-pad which is what I’ve done. I found the joystick extremely awkward and just set 4 keys to WASD for movement.