Belkin Pre-N Wireless Desktop Card

Does it only work with Belkin routers?

I have been using this card in my laptop (f5d8xxx) for the past year and a half. First with the Belkin Pre N router it came with, and now with the N1 Vision. I have XP and it has been a champ with this system. I would actually say it worked a bit better with the Pre N than the newer N1, but it’s still much faster than G. It’s a pretty sweet price, though it’s more than I paid for it on a Black Friday deal in 2006.

I’m tempted to get another one.

this is a steal. how many computers do you use at once, anyway?

Hm seems ED is filtered.

"This ‘meme’ along with its partner ???, comes from South Park’s episode about how 1337 capitalism is Gnomes. Thieving trolls are sneaking into South Park homes in the middle of the night to steal the boys’ drawers. After getting busted by the gang, the gnomes use a highly advanced mathematical formula to explain how they turn stolen underwear into Gold. The formula was as follows:

1. Collect underpants.
  2. ?
  3. PROFIT! "

That explains the joke.

is this what i get if i want to connect my “dell dimension 5150” to my netgear n router

make sure it’s cardbus, the latest standard (like on this vaio)
sweet

In the enlarged photo, I see “V10” printed on the PCI card.

The newest drivers are from 2004 so it doesn’t look like there’s any chance that Belkin will update their drivers once N is finalized. (personally I wouldn’t buy any N hardware unless it came with a gaurantee that it would be compatible with the final spec.) The only good thing about this is the PC-Card controller.

I have used the Belkin N Wireless Notebook Card with Ubuntu, and it has been working fine. I had to use the NDISwrapper though. It basically uses the windows driver to support it. I’m not entirely sure if the same will apply for this particular model. You can find out more info about NDISwrapper here…http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/

OK, so I’m assuming it will work on an HP desktop that currently connects via cable to another HP desktop that connects to the internet via a wireless Linksys router? Right?

This will not work with VISTA .

This is also not compatible with a MAC before someone asks.

PS:man is that Macbook air an eyecatcher!

I was wondering the same thing ! lol
THAT would be a deal breaker for me.

I have firewire PCMCIA that i rarely use. maybe I can use that on a desktop instead with this multi-use adaptor. not that I have the use for it on desktop. Just like the idea

Drivers would be the least of problems. One of the reasons that there are multiple generations of Pre-N devices out on the market is that hardware requirements change as the 802.11n spec gets closer to being finalized. So far, Asus is the only company I know of that’s doing any kind of 802.11n final compatibility guarantee: http://event.asus.com/2006/wireless/pren/

Getting one of these for my sister. She’s been bugging me to look for a cheap but decent wireless card for her cheap old laptop, I’ll keep the PCI adapter just in case.

CNET review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/adapters-nics/belkin-wireless-pre-n/4505-3380_7-31207992.html?tag=prod.txt.4

The drivers on the Belkin support pager are from 3/20/07 1.2.0.68 Windows 2000, Windows XP. So, supposidely (if thats how you spell it) it fixes a few things.

About 18 months ago, my company built a gigantic new warehouse (over 140k sq ft). We got a handful of these cards for the machines at the furthest edges of the warehouse. They’ve been in use every single day since then, and they get pretty amazing reception over distances I’ve never seen in a consumer-grade product before. We paid about $120-149 when we first got them, so this is a steal.

One of the reviewers said they didn’t get very good speed out of these things. I can’t really comment on that because I care more about distance. I can get a 10Mbps connection from about 400ft (through metal racking) using this card and a Belkin Pre-N router. I know that 10Mbps isn’t much in this day and age, but our worstations are just thin Remote Desktop clients, so you don’t need hardly any network bandwidth, and if the wireless ever gets sketchy (which almost never happens with us) reconnecting to their session is no big deal. So for our needs, this card has been a total champion.

There are also a lot of people making noise about the 802.11n specification and final compatibility and all that. I would encourage people to put that aside. These cards are dirt cheap for amazing range. And I’m sure you can find a Pre-N router somewhere for equally cheap. Get both for maximum compatibility and your set. It’s not like the next laptop you get won’t be able to talk to your router.

This is a huge discount compared to what you’ll find at other only retailers. Plus, if you trust Amazon reviewers, 33 peeps reviewed it and gave it reasonably good marks (3.5 stars).

I own 2 actually.

Does NOT work with Vista, drivers are not available from Belkin when I got Vista, so I had to get a different card.  

Works great as a stand-alone PCMCIA card for a laptop.  With Belkin's Pre-N router this thing is freakin awesome.   Crazy range.  

Awesome price, as I got mine for over 100 bucks a while back. Especially not a refurb.

from amazon reviewer:

Russell C. Woodruff says:
Pre-N can work with Vista. I searched a ton of places and somehow found this through a Belkin UK site. I followed the direction exactly as written and my pre-n card works perfectly on my Vista based system. They note it’s not official but I’ve had no problemms for the past couple of months.

http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/f5d8010-vista.pdf

This is not such a cool product when you really think about it.

It has not external antenna input and it reallies on the stub to get reception. On a desktop, it will have alot of interference. And how is it handy to have it work in both? Do you realize what I have to do to get at the back of my desktop where the pci slots are. It is hard enough getting to the top back where the usbs are.

smartpost.
uhh.