Bell Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (3)

Previous offer

If Anthony happens to chime in, I’d like to know the life expectancy of this wine. Thanks in advance:)

I fear not long at my house…

I’ve been hoping for discussion on this from people who bought last time. I bought a three pack, but I’d like to hear some impressions.

Dang. You really expect us to be drinking a CS from Anthony this soon after vintage/bottling?!

It’s your wine. You can drink it whenever you want. If you did, I’d love to hear about it.

I’ve said this before, the shame of wine is that you can only drink it once. I love a mature cab as much as the next guy, but that same wine is bright and punch you in the face powerful when young. I love them both.

Also, unless you try some young ones to contrast with when it ages, how will you learn to predict which wines will age well?

I agree with this statement 200%

Annnnd, and you are absolutely correct…even then we (I) misjudge and go back that to youngster that I thought would age well…but alas. So as they say, smoke 'em if you got 'em. But save some to smoke later :slight_smile:

That is the tough part. Well rewarded, but tough none the less.

I’m a huge fan of Bell and I had 6 from the last offering of this cab - all unopened. That is, until last night. I decided to open one to decide if I should buy some more.

This isn’t what I’d call a big, heavy cab but it is quite good. It’s not very dark but a nice medium red. Great aromas on the front end and a nice finish. It’s a little tight right now so I think it could stand to age a bit.

What I had a hard time deciding is if it’s worth $40 per bottle - roughly the offering price with tax (at least for me). In the end I think that it is. I can’t think of another cab in that price range that could stack up to it. But I think that you might have to be at least a little patient with it. On the flip side, I don’t think this will be a cab that you’ll hang onto for 10 years. I’m not sure it has the backbone to last that long.

I’d love to hear someone else who has had this chime in.

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. A basic style.

I really do need another wine fridge designated for ones to hold…

I tried that. It doesn’t work. The “hold” fridge fills up before most of the wines in there are ready to be moved to the “on deck” fridge or consumed. Then you don’t have adequate space for more “hold” wines in the “hold fridge,” so you start putting them in the “on deck” fridge instead. Now you’re back in the same unmanageable situation you were in before, but have two fridges to try to sort out instead of one. :^(

I later discovered, much to my wife’s dissatisfaction, that a third fridge (The “big one”) doesn’t help either.

My father in law has an excavator. I need to dig a root cellar. I have a large garden and 8 fruit trees too. It will get plenty of use.

A user with a similar name (rpm) would probably contradict that with the statement that he wouldn’t even begin to think about opening a bottle of this until it’s at least ten years old but YMMV.

Not that I don’t have domestic cabs over 10 years old because I do, but I do start worrying about them at the ten year mark. Most of my CA cabs are drunk before age 10. Bordeaux however is the opposite, I check in here and there but generally don’t even think about drinking them until the 10 year mark and hold most much longer than that. No right or wrong, just personal preference.

And that’s a great reason to have 6 on hand so that you can try one every 2-4 years, if you can afford the storage.