BenQ 3000 Lumen XGA DLP Projector

Check out this “excellent” review over at pcmag.com and check out the product page

Good Reviews over at B&H Photo

I’ve owned the 1610 for a little over a year now and haven’t had any issues with it. I bought it open box at Best Buy for $200 and like it because of it’s minimalist design, so I don’t have many cables running in and out of it.

I don’t drive it hard at all because my room doesn’t need it, but it’s been good to me so far. I don’t have a roku and I have a logitech hub controlling it for remote purposes, so I can’t really comment on that functionality. I also don’t use the Bluetooth, so one less feature I can comment on.

How would you do 3D with this? I’m guessing you would need passive glasses.

B & H photo sells the active glasses required:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039812-REG/benq_5j_j7l25_002_3d_glasses_d4.html

$58

Yes, you have to buy the glasses. B & H sells them for the BenQ. We just bought an open box one on Sunday from them (similar model - BenQ MS524 SVGA DLP Projector) for just $229.95. Free expedited shipping, too. It arrives later today. They sell it new for under $300.

Thanks

I am not familiar with projectors. I was looking for a TV to buy but I think a projector might be pretty cool too. Does anyone have a website on the pros and cons of a projector vs TV?

I have a couple questions like would this have to be mounted on the ceiling? Do I need a screen or would pointing it on the wall be okay? I mainly use chromecast to watch shows but what about regular cable?

Note that this is a 1024 x 768 (XGA) resolution, not a full 1920 x 1080 (1080p) projector. So you won’t see full HD on it, which may or may not be a big deal. The “wow” factor of turning your wall into a TV may make up for that.

Also do know that projectors use a bulb to make the light. Those bulbs eventually wear out by going dimmer and dimmer and eventually need to be replaced. They’re kind of expensive.

You’ll need to run wires to it and set up a sound system. There’s more work to set this up vs a TV on an entertainment stand, but the results are more breathtaking. Whether a projector is right for you is what kind of experience you want and the effort you’re willing to put into it.

Projectors are Awesome. Yes, there’s a bit of a learning curve. BUT It can be as simple as putting the PJ on a table and pointing it at the wall. took mine to a Cabin once and pinned a sheet to the wall. Used a laptop as DvD player (HDMI out to PJ)and used a Boombox for sound (Laptop headphone out to boombox). Worked great and was a lot of fun for a few days.
Normally you’d have an installation or stationary setup. You can mount it to the ceiling. I have a shelf mounted up by the ceiling just behind my couch that the PJ sits upside down on. Works great.

BULBS - Had my current PJ for 8 years and have not had to replace the bulb. I have a TV for regular viewing and just use the PJ for Movies and special events… Sports, SNL, Concerts ect…

I’d say if you don’t have or don’t want to get a surround sound setup and in general your not a A/V person… a PJ is probably not for you. Just get a 50"-60" TV and call it a day.

But I’ll say, I love my Projector and so does everyone who comes over. It’s not even a true HD pj. It’s 16x9 but it takes a 1080 or 720 signal and converts it to 480p. NO ONE has ever said or asked if it’s a HD pj. when you have a 8’ screen that’s clear and sharp, no one cares what the # is. Yes my next PJ will be HD but technology has changed since I bought mine.

One more thing if you’re just starting out. Get some Blackout cloth from the fabric store. (you could use it for a DIY screen as well) Then pin it up where you think you want your screen. Get a ladder or something that you can put the PJ on. (I think I stacked Boxes) Then you can play around with the placement of screen & PJ before you Mount everything.

Here’s a great place to learn about projectors and this online calculator will help with your setup. The in72 is the PJ I have.
Good Luck & Have Fun!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus-IN72-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Lastly… I’m not saying buy this PJ today from Woot. Just in general Projectors are a lot of Fun.

Can you play a DVD inside this projector? Or do you have to have it connected to a DVD player or computer?

DVD+Projector combo would be awesome! alas, you need an external player and cord

We got our BenQ today. Have already played blueray, laptop, and iPad (with the correct dongle) through it via HDMI cable.

The iPad apps with HD looked phenomenal. The blueray movie was great. The sound is low, but we’ve got a pair of Logitech speakers on the way to address that.

Right now, it’s set up on a TV tray table in the living room, with a sheet over a large picture frame and it looks great. I can foresee many great family game and movie nights with this. Best of all is that it weighs very little and could easily be moved from room to room, depending upon the need/use. It will probably go cabin camping with us, as well. We’re repurposing our old 8 mm video camera bag for use as a projector and cable/dongle bag.

I talked to a rep from BenQ…and he said it was like comparing a Ferrari to a Cadillac. They both do things extremely well…but are in different price tiers. They make some lovely computer monitors however so hey…if price is the thing for you…pick one up!