Bernardus Black Tie Pinot Noir (2)

Bernardus Black Tie 2009 Pinot Noir Rosella’s Vineyard 2-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $145.60) 45% off List Price
2009 Bernardus Pinot Noir, Rosella’s Vineyard, Santa Lucia Highlands
CT link above

Winery website

Bring back the well dressed monkey. I miss him. You guys were able to add those lame in time for Xmas banners so let’s get some damn monkeys in tuxedos.

I know Pinot from SLH are generally well regarded. Has anybody tried this?

Is this a Black Tie buy? Or the name is coincidental?

I see Jennings liked it, and based on CT value of $60 this is a great price.
Pretty consistent ratings over a few years as well, should speak they know how to do PN right.
Very tempted.

Very, very tempted!

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create a WW Gathering!

My wife and I are members and obviously fans of Bernardus.

If they’re open today I will call and see if this is a better price than I can get at discount. If it is, I’m in for several, because my wife especially likes their SLH and I thought this was a $65-$75 bottle.

Side note: Their Signature Marinus (~$65 / bottle) and buttery 2010 Chardonnay (Monterey County, ~$22 / bottle) are both excellent. I was very surprised to find their 2009 & 2010 Chards at a nearby Safeway on the 30% off sale for $16.99, cheaper than my member price.

If the winery joins, I’d be interested to know which clones of PN are in this wine, and why the blend of clones was chosen.

Merry Christmas Eve and Happy Holidays to all!!!

Looks interesting, but I’m feeling pretty broke on Christmas Eve.

A very Merry Christmas (belated Happy Hannukah, Happy Festivus, and Kool Kwanza, if more appropriate) to all!

and to you and yours, rpm. Thanks for all the presents you give us here throughout the year.

Which vintage(s) of the Marinus Reserve have you tried? Is worth the try? I had a bottle of the 2005 Marinus and I thought it was amazing. That’s when I started following Bernardus. I also had the 2008 Ingrid’s Vineyard Pinot Noir, but I found it to be harsh and astringent even after laying it down for 2 months after delivery. I’m skeptical of the vineyard designate Pinots.

Looks like someone was a very generous Santa.

We had the '06 Signature Marinus, which is $65 retail and $52 members. I’d pay retail for it so I certainly recommend that one. The plain Marinus I’m not so much of a fan of, so when we go back we’ll get more reserve/signature.

According to the employees 2005 was a stellar year for them. I don’t believe we liked the '08 Ingrid’s Pinot enough to buy it, but we did buy a SLH we enjoyed so I’m interested in this one. I talked to them and they said this Pinot that today’s woot is for sells at $65 retail / $52 members – so this is cheaper than I can get it at this end-price of $42.50 per bottle.

If you buy a set, I’ll take one and trade you $20 plus the two Blitzens and we’ll be square. If not, we’ll figure something else out.

…trying to see if the winery can jump in, but with the holiday I know much of the staff (winemaker included) were traveling…

I haven’t met a Pinot made from Gary Franscioni’s esteemed Rosella’s vineyard that I haven’t liked (I’ve tried others from his own Roar, Siduri and Augest West, and another that I’m forgetting).

The tasting note mentions “We at Bernardus are fortunate to have access to three small blocks planted with clone 777, Pommard clone and the celebrated Pisoni clone”. That said, I don’t know anything more specific. A little more info here.

Quality, quality, quality Pinot here. I haven’t had the aforementioned Ingrid’s (which is Bernardus estate vines, planted right below their lodge), but I’ve enjoyed the previously Wooted Fairview vineyards Pinot and more-so the Tondre Vineyard Pinot. (I was quite surprised when I asked about Rosella’s and they said yes… I put it together quickly before they changed thier minds!)

I’m also trying to track down a bottle that I can open today, and if I find one I’ll post my notes here later.

Happy holidays everyone!

Thanks Neil! I hope you find that bottle! We appreciate you “working” so hard during the holidays! :happy:

It’s a commitment; but I do it for the Wooters… http://images.zaazu.com/img/male23-male-tired-weary-smiley-emoticon-000065-medium.gif

GO FOR IT!
I have purchased this in the past and will be buying it again today. Very delicious PN. Shared with friends – everyone was quite pleased.

tempting, but this goes a bit above my price limit. plus i am out of room in the cooler for pricier bottles. I’ll find something else to split with you.

I thought you were on the SIWBM to end all SIWBM’s.