Best Beastie Boys album?

Best Beastie Boys album?

1 Like

Ummmmmm, probably the one where all music producers and recording companies told the Beastie Boys that they have ZERO musical talent and they would be better suited to pump gas for a living!

I’ve heard more pleasing sounds from the recovery area of a colonoscopy clinic!

All of their CD’s are best used as shiny clay pigeons for shotgun practice.

2 Likes

So you’re a big fan?

9 Likes

Fascination with colonoscopies aside…
The fact that Check Your Head is not on the list boggles my mind. But I guess Woot can only put four options.
In my opinion, the first three albums are their best, by far. It was so great when they were kinda goofy and self depreciating with a fun-loving sense of humor which made it really cool. But they peaked with Check Your Head.
It was when they started to take themselves seriously when they went into a death spiral.
Angry, pretentious activists are definitely not the life of the party.

7 Likes

“I Want To Say a Little Something That’s Long Overdue
The Disrespect To Women Has Got To Be Through
To All The Mothers And Sisters And the Wives And Friends
I Want To Offer My Love And Respect To The End”

1 Like

Check Your Head

The only reason I can think to not have Check Your Head as a votable option was to drive comments in the forum. It’s far and away their best work.

5 Likes

My initial off-the-cuff reaction to this was " OK, Boomer," but I suspect you’re probably closer to me in age. There’s probably not a lot of boomer/Wooter crossover. So you clearly don’t like their music. That’s fine. No need to hurl insults at it. We all have some music that we hold dear that someone else would find grating.

It’s OK to say you don’t like something without necessarily sying it’s the fault of the thing oyu don’t like. It makes the people who DO like feel like they’re being insulted and, it puts people on the defensive.

I mean, if that’s your thing, provoking people, well then…I guess carry on?

7 Likes

License to Ill isn’t the best, it’s just the one the casuals know about. Paul’s Boutique isn’t just the best Beastie Boys album, it’s one of the best albums of all time, by anyone.

10 Likes

Someone gets it.

3 Likes

Not quite as bad as “the end of the Civil rights movement” comment from yesterday imo, but to each their own

2 Likes

If you don’t get the music, just say “I don’t get it, it’s not for me.” But when you trash a group that has been inducted into both the Rock and Roll and Hip Hop Halls of Fame you just make yourself look bad.

8 Likes

I just started listening to that right now and I saw this. That was weird!

Such an unfair poll. But I had to pick Licensed to Ill because it just started it all for me as a young MC on the bus ride to elementary school. One of my favorite pass times is rapping their greatest hits to different beats. A solo remix if you will.

1 Like

Good fun that was fratboy 80’s sing-along for the rhythmically challenged were the Beasties. Some soul-searching later and the B Boys became aware of the terrible misogyny in (their) rap and sorta dropped that blight from their work. All their stuff was okay, and a good listen in succession sees a maturation of sorts that goes beyond party anthems and comedy to a more crafty sound. See what I did there?

1 Like

I came here to say exactly this.

1 Like

You know there is always that one person that has to be an ahole about things like this.

4 Likes

Yeah, Check Your Head or even Hello Nasty should have been the choice over For the Five Boroughs. The correct answer is still Paul’s Boutique though :blush:

6 Likes

Says the toolbag who probably has Nickelback’s entire catalog.

7 Likes

Gen-Xers unite. I can still remember listening to their bootleg tapes in Berkeley. They matured, just like the rest of us. Peace out.

1 Like

Paul’s Boutique. Also let those announce their ignorance and arrogance, I watched and listened to thes kids from a show with the butthole surfers to their last studio effort and many live experiences. I may not like every song, but I more than appreciate an artist that appreciates and craves sounds, and doing things with those sounds. Beastie Boys were the tops in searching for the sound. RIP John Berry and to you MCA Adam Yauch.

3 Likes