Best city for pizza:

I never ate pizza in any of those places, so I won’t vote. But, my favorite pizza is from a local place which also is my favorite place for subs. It is located next door to a Subway; in 15+ years I have been in that Subway exactly once, and then only because I had forgotten that “my” pizza place is closed on Mondays.

1 Like

Went with NYC from the options, but yeah I’m going to have to throw mine towards New Haven style too. Sooooo good.

2 Likes

New Haven CT

5 Likes

Boston Regina pizza :pizza:
Hands down the best in America

1 Like

I heard they make some great Lasagna in Chicago, Never heard about their pizza…

4 Likes

Detroit

3 Likes

I mean, Chicago deep dish or stuffed are really good, but better still is the Chicago thin crust, cut tavern-style. NY is good too, especially the slices from the street vendors.

1 Like
5 Likes

Probably the first pizza I ever had (back in the late 60s)

4 Likes

HA… I am a fan of those frozen dough balls for pizza. They sell these at Meijer and Kroger. Under $2 bucks I think.

2 Likes

What Chicago has cannot be considered pizza. It’s closer to what Panera has with their bread bowls and soup in it than what the rest of the civilized world considers pizza. NYC area (NY, NJ, CT) is where the best pizza is. Dollar pizza in NYC will be better than half of the stuff labeled “pizza”. Change my mind.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check that out next trip to Meijer.

My go to (based on Oogie’s “family recipe”) is Hot Roll Mix.

2 Likes

Well, you could read the historical record of pizza. I don’t know if it will change your mind, but it is interesting that the earliest “pizzas” when more about the bread than the toppings.
It sound like it started more as Focaccia bread or a bread and tomato dish with cheese…

5 Likes

My mom used to make a “crazy crust” pizza. That’s about all I had as a kid.
The dough was more like pancake batter and you baked the ground beef, oregano and garlic into the crust.
There are quite few recipes online that are all very similar.

3 Likes

The best city for pizza is the city wherever I am. If you’re asking what the best style of pizza is, my favorite is Detroit style.

3 Likes

Detroit

4 Likes

Back in July Bloomberg named Portland, OR as having the best pizza :open_mouth:

Here is a link to the article:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-07/best-pizza-city-in-america-is-portland-oregon-say-modernist-experts

1 Like

Definitions change over time as the civilization utilizes words to mean specific things. Most of society on earth would not imagine what’s in Chicago when they hear “pizza”. He’ll, even the emojis show :pizza: (does that look like deep dish?). A “precursor” to pizza being focaccia is like saying a precursor to the automobile was a horse and carriage. Do we call that a car? Should we call what Panera serves up in a bread bowl “pizza”? Basic “Flatbread” is the foundation to pizza (according to this article) and as such, i interpret this to mean that what Chicago serves, isn’t even flatbread - it’s just bread, therefore, isn’t even pizza. But thanks for the history lesson, it is rather interesting to see the Greeks being heavily involved in pizza origins as well. Not a fan of Greek pizza, but it’s more “pizza” than what’s in Chicago!

2 Likes

It’s all interesting…
I love deep dish pizza. But I will also go for those super thin crust as well… Like those cheap Jack’s pizza in the frozen section.
I guess it depends on how hungry I am. If I want a meal, I will go deep. If I want a snack, I will go thin.

There was a local restaurant in WI that had ridiculous Detroit style pizza. One piece was several lbs. It had sauce and meatballs on top of the deep dish monstrosity. I think it might have been Rocky Rocco… but I don’t see anything as silly as I remember on the menu…

1 Like

This is the correct answer.

2 Likes