Best old-school communication device?

Oh! And when I was a kid, my Grandmother still had a party line. Most today don’t even know what that means. No, they were NOT having a party - it meant a whole bunch of people shared the same line. If you wanted to make a call, you had to pick up the receiver (handset) and see if anyone was already talking on it. The really bad thing was that anyone on your party line could eavesdrop on your call without you knowing it and there was no way to prevent it. So you could never say anything you didn’t want repeated to the entire town.

Some might remember an early version on Little House on the Prairie where Mrs. Olson would listen in for all the gossip. Well, what I’m talking about was rural Louisiana in the mid 1960’s.

**We have a “landline” but it’s thru cable and we don’t even have a phone plugged into it. If to he power went out, it would only work a short time, then it would also be down and useless. If you are going to have a landline it needs to be a POTS line. Plain Old Telephone Service = POTS. OLD AT&T, Bell, etc.

1 Like

2 cans and a string pulled really tight, of course.

2 Likes

Party lines were awesome and you knew never to say your real name or where you lived!

1 Like

A fax is not necessarily considered an original. In banking and insurance, we could accept a fax temporarily, until the ORIGINAL, arrived by mail (or by hand). The companies and carriers we dealt with were the same. When we faxed to them we printed out the transmission receipt (to show it was a successful send) and attached it to a copy we were keeping, then the original was mailed. Then they’re effective either date of fax or postmark, depending on what we were doing.

Now, faxes (& mailing of originals) are being skipped over, for electronic signature. I have been working from home since 2013, and all HR docs, contracts when I changed employers, etc. have all been done electronically.

Omg I used to love those! Guess I’m showing my age. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Haven’t you realized by the limited responses we are given, that whoever makes these up is really young!!! Probably never heard of a ham radio - probably thinks it’s comedy channel for radio. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Your granny’s party line coms were synchronous, full duplex in real time.
We have Woot threads for asynchronous chat with reply minutes to hours apart.
Seems a bit like a step backwards.

She had her imagination. But we have 3D GIFs!

1 Like

If your talking about papers for disability I hate the surgeons and them not filling out the paper work. All I need them to do is sign something for my loans to be reimbursed but they refuse and push it off to my primary care and my primary care won’t sign it bc he doesn’t have anything from a dr stating that I’m disabled even though I won my disability case. He won’t except my court papers. It’s so frustrating. Disability pays nothing to be able to pay back student loans. At this point I don’t even answer the calls.

1 Like

Yes, I was talking about those papers. It really should be considered part of the Surgeon’s documenting of their work. What most people do not realize is it is not “simply signing.” Not by a long shot. It takes me 20 to 30 min to do online code look-up to match CPT codes for procedures surgeons did (procedures I do not do) as well as the ICD-10 diagnoses that justified the procedure. It involves requesting and pouring through sometimes 90+ pages of hospital stay records. None of that time is allocated by practice managers. It’s all on our own time and unpaid. After patients and other staff have gone home.

Surgeons refuse to do the work because they know they often can dump it on the primary care providers - most of whom still remember their bleeding heart roots. Yours are burnt out and refusing to be abused. One of my staff often worked past midnight. She was paid 8 hours a day. Never any overtime.

In managed care, even if you make an appointment to see the Surgeon or PCP, they will not be paid a penny for their time and efforts. You may not sympathize, but 67% feel stressed out never dreamed they would need to do so much clerical work. They despise the paperwork and charting that insurers require without paying for their time.

In summary, it’s not simply a signature. It’s a lot of research and time to fill the forms whether paper or online.

2 Likes

Sci-Fi Comedy GIF by Turner Classic Movies

1 Like

Laughing Hysterically Season 3 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Power to the WOMEN!!

Cartoon Network Dc GIF by Warner Archive

1 Like

I do sympathize. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous in the pts part that the surgeon that actually did the procedure have the audacity to ask the pt to ask someone else. I know what goes into filing for disability bc I did it. Chasing down drs is horrible and then when those drs tell you to go somewhere else for something they did it’s a big FU I’m your face. I’m sorry you have to go through all that without getting paid. I always try to fill out as much paperwork as I can before I ask the drs to get involved.

1 Like

Thanks for understanding. The good thing perhaps is those in Primary Care do tend to have emotional roots in trying to help people. So they wind up doing the forms even though it was not about procedure or operation they did and the codes needed are foreign to their daily experience - all has to be looked up. The way things are done, the time taken is time away from family and nearly never compensated time. At least they do not get credit or compensation for the half hour of time taken for each disability or authorization form. There is no means to collect that medical-clerical data. I have residents applying for work who even ask how we handle such form filling time specifically during the interview. It stresses them even during training and eats their evenings.

1 Like

Cave Painting (also earliest graffiti)

2 Likes

Was this a visitation? By what??? What did they try to communicate?

1 Like

They were trying to tell the meaning of life. (42)

2 Likes

Did they thank us for the fish? Or did they not give a carp?

2 Likes

Best old-school communications device? Um, one’s mouth? Hand gestures? Shunning?

1 Like