Best Thanksgiving side dish?

Best Thanksgiving side dish?

2 Likes

Yum yum salad.

Yes, it’s a real thing that has gelatin, whipped cream, pineapple, and cheese as some of its ingredients.

2 Likes

Pumpkin Spice Spam

2 Likes

Wild West Lol GIF by Justin Gammon

ham GIF

2 Likes

How can you forget the baked mac n cheese? It’s 89% of why I show up!

mac n cheese GIF by tillamook

14 Likes

7 Likes

I’ll eat mashed potatoes just as a meal, idgaf

7 Likes

Thanksgiving Cranberries GIF by Katie Lukes

16 Likes

I can’t believe you forgot beer! Oh wait… that may be the main dish

5 Likes

Any one of 3 fruit salads that might appear. I’ll share the recipes in case anyone needs one while there is still time to buy ingredients.

Mandarin Orange Salad
This is the one we are having this year!

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling
YIELD: 6-8 servings

Ingredients
1 can (20 ounces) pineapple, tidbits or crushed (if chunks, cut smaller)
1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges segments
1 can (29 ounces) sliced peaches (cut smaller)
1 package (3 ounces) tapioca pudding mix
1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 jar (6 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained, halved (I use the 10 oz jar!)
*****See note below
Directions

1. Drain pineapple, peaches and oranges, reserving juices; set fruit aside. Add water to juices (if needed) to equal 3 cups; pour into a large saucepan. Add pudding mixes; cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly, 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool.
  2. Place the pineapple, peaches, oranges and cherries in a 2-qt. bowl; pour pudding/tapioca mixture over and stir to coat. Chill for several hours or overnight.

*****Originally this recipe had chopped up banana added in, in #2 but I hate banana so 30 years or so ago, I started leaving those out. That was one reason I increased the cherries. (And something else)

The tapioca is just to thicken this, so don’t avoid just because you saw tapioca! It should be the Jello tapioca, but none of the grocery stores sell it where I live so I have to wing it with the regular kind.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
Banana Apple Jello Salad
(weird combo of ingredients, but really yummy! Came off a can of evaporated milk in the 60’s that my mom saved)

1 (3-oz) package Raspberry jello
1 cup boiling water
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup minced apple
1 cup minced banana
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 - 1 cup finely chopped or ground walnuts or pecans (I use pecans)

Instructions
Toss the lemon juice with the fruit to keep it from turning brown.

Empty the jello package into a large bowl. Carefully pour the boiling water over the top, then stir until the jello is dissolved.

Add the evaporated milk and mayonnaise and whisk until smooth. Add fruit.

Prepare a jello mold or a 5-6 cup container with nonstick spray. (Or just use a pretty bowl, no need to spray). Can use individual Bundt pans.

Pour the jello into the prepared pan, cover tightly, and refrigerate for several hours or overnight, until completely chilled.

To invert the jello, place a plate over the mold and flip. If the jello doesn't come out, fill a large bowl with hot water and hold the bottom of the mold in the water for no more than 1-3 seconds, then invert again. (This will help melt the outer edge, releasing the jello.)

**I don’t like bananas so I do two cups of apples and leave out the bananas.

At some point I plan to try this with peach jello, canned peaches and pineapple tidbits.
÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
This is super simple, cans of fruit you might always have in your pantry, and the kids ate it even as leftovers as an after school snack or whatever. It never went to waste.

We always had vanilla yogurt around. . .

Fruit Salad

2 large cans pineapple chunks

1 large can peaches, chopped

1 can mandarin orange slices chopped

1 cup shredded sweetened coconut

1 cup chopped pecans

1-2 cups vanilla yogurt

Drain all the fruit and reserve juice to make Jello. Mix all the rest of the ingredients together. (Start with 1 cup of yogurt - it will depend on the fruit, how much more you need or want.) Refrigerate until time to serve. Keeps up to a week, covered, in the refrigerator.

**If you have other canned fruits you like, you can add them - like pears. I would NOT add fresh strawberries or bananas as it will make it go bad quickly.

If anyone needs anything let me know, as I’ve got recipes for everything - even the new one that I’m giving a try this year, a Green Bean Casserole that has NO cream of mushroom, but IS cheesey and still has the french fried onions!

7 Likes

Obviously, it’s dressing, but I think green bean casserole comes in a close second.
Particularly, if you make it using fresh ingredients like I do!

10 Likes

It’s green beans AND BACON. The most bestest ever.

4 Likes

The best side dish is THE side dish.

1 Like

That’s an entree for some of us :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Gravy.

4 Likes

Rum

2 Likes

Stuffing is our traditional recipe handed down for 4 generations. After 40 years, tomorrow I pass it on to the next generation.:woozy_face:

6 Likes

Corn casserole (the kind with the box of Jiffy in it!)

3 Likes

Here’s a stuffing recipe I always wanted to try:

It harks back to the 17th and 18th centuries.

3 Likes

NOODLES!

4 Likes