Best type of concert venue?

Best type of concert venue?

TV!

Spongebob Squarepants Popcorn GIF

5 Likes

What about just a theater?
Some of the best concerts I’ve been to were in a theater.
I saw Journey before they got mega-big in a theater and it was perfect. Great sound. Comfortable seating.
But I prefer clubs for bands that don’t need to be loud.
I guess I would rate venues in this order:

• Club
  • Theater
  • Amphitheater
  • Arena
  • Stadium (least favorite venue)
    I’ve been to my fair share of concerts and seen lots of great bands, big and small - and I have the tinnitus to prove it.
6 Likes

But then there is this

Why do people sound better when they sing in the shower?
“In the shower you are surrounded by hard, smooth surfaces that bounce the sound back to you. That gives your voice more power, turning up the volume. Because the sounds are bouncing around, some of them take longer to reach your ears. That stretches out the sound, making it richer and fuller, so you sound great, too!”

4 Likes

I think weather plays into the answer. Hollywood Bowl is great, but works well because it’s in So Cal. Put it in the Midwest and it loses some charm between pop up storms and mosquitos. Venue is a combination of sound quality and attendee experience. I always want to be comfortable.

Also depends on type of music. Not all concerts are “bands”. Theaters are usually ideal for orchestras.

2 Likes

General admission no matter where it is.

2 Likes

Theater then amphitheater. Clubs are too small and packed, arenas are too large and impersonal. Pretty much all my favorite memories are of theaters

4 Likes

This poll is a little too early. Maybe this should wait until after the funerals.

3 Likes

Paul Bearer Dance GIF by Jason Clarke

6 Likes

I thought the timing for this particular poll was a bit off as well. My knee jerk reaction answer was " a safe venue where people don’t get crushed to death".

8 Likes

Small Bar/[Irish] Pub.

1 Like

None of the above. Festivals with thousands upon thousands of people. Days long. Camp on site. Sure if I want to see a performer whose music I really love and just want to close my eyes and listen, a theater is best or a small bar/club. But if I just want to see live music and enjoy the “vibe” a festival is best. Going to a live show is about more than just the performer, it’s also about being in a place with like minded people. People watching is also best at festivals. I’ve never been to a bonaroo or sxsw or Coachella but a 20-30k people festival is pretty damn cool.

2 Likes

If an arena is too large an impersonal for you, how is an amphitheater, that holds 40 percent more people any better?

1 Like

Where I grew up we had small amphitheaters (Edgefield) up to large ones (The gorge) so I guess I’m referring to the small to mid size

2 Likes

back in the day I went to a Phoenix Festival which was amazing! Awesome location, great music, friendly people, skinny dipping, great camping, naked oil wrestling, fantastic chill out tent, reasonably priced hot food (i brought my own)…all kinds of fun!

2 Likes

Music festival in the woods.

1 Like

House concerts can be pretty cool. We have a ‘fest’ every year with approximately 140 guests and musician friends.

4 Likes

We used to own a coffee shop and we had live music nearly every night. A lot of good times (and some not so good…like when no one was there to listen).

5 Likes

I attended a lot of concerts in San Diego from 1969 until about 1975.

The most fun concert is one I remember very little of, but I brought a little camera & snapped a few pics. It really was a ton of people all having a great time.

In Ontario Calif, 1974 and cost about $10 to get in.

Nowadays, I’d prefer a much smaller venue.

5 Likes

My next scheduled concert is Kraftwerk 3D in a large theater…

I couldn’t imagine it in a small venue

4 Likes