Blue Microphones Eyeball 2.0 Webcam

so now you can get a new one for $20
if you like it that much why not go for it ?

Does it come with a giant clock?

<–The only Wooter cool enough yo to catch your witty and well transcribed description. I deserve a Quality post for that. Yo.

Can it be use as a mic? with my build in camera on my labtop? I have a macbook pro and a hp labtop

Sad. I watched that youtube review from several pages ago. I was considering getting it, but the quiet mic is a bit of a let down. I’ve been wanting to replace my old old old headset that I’ve had for around 12 years now. It was cheap but it’s served me surprisingly well. Only bad thing is the whole thing is falling apart now (but still working like a champ!). Also that USB cable is ridiculously short, which will really suck in combination with the quiet, quiet mic. :frowning:

I don’t need a cam that much though… just the occasional skype with a friend who moved back to Germany.

I have a different brand USB webcam with mic, and when I plug it into my netbook, the mic does indeed function, and I can choose which webcam to use in the settings.

I don’t have a Mac, but this website says “UVC is a new compatibility standard in USB2 video-chat cameras. The iSight webcam built into recent iMac and MacBook models is compliant. Apple’s UVC Kernel Extensions in OSX Tiger & Leopard means any UVC based USB cam should just work when plugged into a USB2 speed port.”

Note that the Woot offering is UVC compliant.

You may need to disable the built-in iSight camera if you want to use this one as a cam.

You may have to play around with the settings, but it should do what you asked (mic only) on the Macbook Pro.

It’s funny - the reviewer does mention that he had to tweak the volume setting, but the volume in his review is not bad for a webcam. It’s about half as loud as the initial volume (he switches to the webcam mic during the review), which is typical because he was probably using a mic that was placed inches from his mouth until then. Almost all of the complaints on amazon are about the video; they say this has great sound. Regarding those complaints, I’d wager that most of them came from users with older computers - it seems that horsepower helps with this cam (the YouTube reviewer mentioned stuttering on his iMac, but no problems on his Macbook Pro).

How’s this video? Blue microphones eyeball webcam on Linux review

I use two large-screen monitors with my desktop, and I found out that large-screen = thick-screen; my webcam will not fit on either monitor, so it has to go on my desk. The sliding device that comes with this webcam allows it to fit on any monitor, no matter how thick it is.

I have to agree with this; Blue is an excellent mic company.

But that doesn’t mean all their products are gold…they also made the iPod microphones, which are questionable overall quality.

Now, their bottle mics… :happy:

True, but he does say he had to crank the volume all the way up on the mic and still felt the need to shout at times. The sound was clear, but still not as nice as when he switched video and sound to his imac (unless he was recording over himself talking too… or I just didn’t see the mic).

The sound quality is fine and my video should be fine as well. I just feel unsure due to having a so so mic now, and the fact that he said he cranked the volume all the way up (though he didn’t specify whether he did that for his recorded sample or not).

I find it hard to believe that the video quality he got from it was HD, based on that review. But he’s quoting it at 5-6x the price too. I think if he had it at 18 quid, he’d give it a glowing review.

(I’m going to think on this as I sleep and come back in the morning to get it before the next item if I still want it.)

I love this thing - I use Skype in my home office with regular headphones and no one has a single problem hearing me. I get complaints when I used my Vonage line (and upstream bandwidth was prioritized so that wasn’t the cause) or when I use either mobile I have.

This microphone rocks and the camera is decent enough. Didn’t buy it for that and I rarely use it.

Do you have a Bunsen burner and test tubes sitting on your labtop?

I am in for one. Been wanting to experiment with recording my acoustic guitar, and this may be a good way to start without having to drop $100 plus.

Why is everybody so focused on the camera quality? The main feature is the MICROPHONE, which is THE BEST in its price range. I bought this refurbished from Froobi at a comparable price, and it really is an awesome microphone. The clarity is great. My only gripe is that the form factor of the stand is a little weird. The webcam is about the same as any 10 dollar webcam you would buy offline. Not that great, but it gets the job done.
EDIT: Also worth mentioning, plug and play worked perfectly for me (Vista 32). I use Adobe Audition to do my recordings.

I use it for acoustic guitar, as I mentioned previously, and it functions beautifully in tandem with the painless and free Audacity recording software:

In the end it’s a great deal for the microphone and if you don’t end up using the camera, well, it’s just a bonus anyway. As someone who plays the clarinet it may prove useful as a quality microphone. If not, then I have something better than my built-in, which is starting to buzz.

I currently have a 15 dollar plantronics microphone that I’m trying to record audio for youtube videos. The audio is terrible, and I have to boost +30DB though windows 7 to even hear myself. Though I’d love for the webcam to work out,but My real hopes are for a great mic. I was about to buy a Microsoft HD webcam just for the mic for 100 dollars when I saw this on woot.

But since it’s a webcam also, I’m in for 2! I’m going to give one to my girlfriend for xmas.

Thanks woot for finally making something I’d never buy at full price available!

Oh and 5 dollar coupon from woot??!! serendipity.

I guess I was one of the last to get one. I’m sure glad I was able to see this deal before it was to late!

Perhaps the next-to-last: Wooter to blame for sellout: KLeong