Blue Microphones Eyeball 2.0 Webcam

HD quality audio… that is impressive if you are a skype user I suppose. The thing is rather huge though so I don’t see it being all that useful for an on-the-go laptop, but for a desktop it would probably be helpful.

Blue’s website is: Blue Microphones - Podcasting, Streaming & Recording

Ave review is 3.5 stars at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Eyeball-2-0-Microphone/dp/B002OHOF08

Wow! I thought it was Blue. I guess not. Looks like something you’d see on the Ed Sullivan show…

I bought one the first time it was offered on WOOT, and it is a superb microphone. I don’t even use the webcam. It doesn’t fit well on any of my monitors, but is perfectly usable sitting on a desktop, and it has a sturdy base. It works just fine on Windows 7 64b, since it doesn’t require any 3rd-party drivers; it’s simply recognized as a USB audio device.

Here’s a sample video if anyone’s interested:

Looks to me like what you might get from an integrated laptop cam, only with better audio.

it has a very good kind of microphone (condenser w/ usb output) as well as a camera that’s 1600 x 1200 resolution @ 30FPS. that’s HD quality, AFAIK.

i just bought one because i’m going to start to do over-the-web medical visits with some of my patients, and this will be better quality than the various webcams and sound transducers i have already.

besides, even if it doesn’t work out that well, whaddya want for twenty bucks?

%^)

(i think it’ll do fine).

I have a Blue Snowball USB Mic. It’s fantastic. I highly recommend Blue microphones. Best for the price on the market!

[QUOTE=xlaxplaya, post:11, topic:307078]
Before everybody starts asking about the camera resolution, let me just tell you that you should NOT buy this for the camera. It’s just a regular, crappy webcam.

absolutely correct… slow refresh, low res… I bought one and I would return it if possible.

Video review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klZ4BfO513o

makes it seem easily worth the woot price.

This video review has a sound comparison.

EDIT: I think this is for the HD version.

What’s today’s item? I was too distracted by the repeated capitalization of the word “Dumpster”…
(which led me down a rabbit trail to research the word’s origin - it’s a brand name - who knew?!)

Thank you, Woot, for bringing out the inner philologist/etymologist in all of us.

Oh, and cool product, too. Whatever it is.

I’m pretty sure I’d rather have a better camera than microphone… so I’ll pass.

Simply put…If you want a decent camera look elseware. If you need a great mic for recording at a very resonable price then this is the deal.

I bought two of these as Refurbs. They were crappy. Blue was terrific about trying to resolve the issue and shipped replacements twice. They were crappy too. Video is unusable, far too grainy, Recording at 15fps or higher resulted in losing sync within seconds. Mic quality was okay.

I was given this webcam as a gift in april 2010. like a lot of you have already said in other ways, the microphone is great and the camera is terrible. its all kinds of jumpy. im almost fast enough to dive under my desk with the camera recording and it not catch me doing so. really. its a stinker.

Thinking of picking one up as a compact way to record piano accompaniment to my laptop to practice with for my voice class. Hmmm…

Honestly I’m surprised this has made it almost an hour. It’s at less than 1/3rd of what it sells for at Apple but I just checked and it’s at Amazon for 35 bucks…so this is only a $10 savings over Amazon…still not a bad deal at all…picking one up just to have around the house.

Actually, I would go the other way if I were you. I find bad audio much more distracting and annoying than bad video.

I guess I’ll join in too and say that the microphone is absolutely fantastic. I just did some voice over recording the other day the results exceeded my expectations.

The camera, however, is just horrendous. I don’t know how they can say it’s an HD cam when all it gives is 15 fps max. The video quality is dark and grainy. I didn’t want to believe it was so bad, but then on a whim, I bought a Logitech 310 720p webcam, and couldn’t believe the difference. The Logitech produces amazing video, and fits perfectly on my monitor, unlike the Blue, which is so big and heavy, it falls off.

As everyone else said, if you need a solid microphone, this is a good choice. but honestly, my Logitech’s mic isn’t really noticeably worse, and why not get one that has a good camera too?

Hope this helps.

The Eyeball has a nice microphone, but video is slow and pretty much useless…

Another one.