1 2006 Blue Rock Cabernet Sauvignon
1 2007 Blue Rock Best Barrels Cabernet Sauvignon
CT links above

Winery website

Blue Rock on Facebook
Blue Rock on Twitter

A short article on i-winereview.com with some info on Blue Rock Winery:

Cabernet Sauvignon from Alexander Valley’s Artisanal Wineries

I like the restrained French oak on this (new or old?) But can we have some acid info? pH, titratable acidity, other acid measure.

I know no wooter has much respect for this, but the bottle/label is striking in its simplicity.

best barrels on their website goes for $75
the 06 is around $50 online. good deal as usual…might need to think about about this

Better in person.

Kenny said the secret word in his feed “Kenny Kahn, owner of Blue Rock Vineyards covers the offer”.

Mmmmm - minerality.

In for two sets.

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 35.873s
Last wooter to woot: nallie

I like a nice design as much as the next guy, but if it’s a choice between a fine Cab with an ugly label and…

Wow - just bought yesterdays Woot - if I take 2 Cabs in a row I’ll never get to Carnegie Hall (sorry).

You disprove your own proposition by your own interest in this label!

:sunglasses:

I know we all decry the evils of buying based on the label (because they are real), but I think (hope?) there are at least a few folks around here who appreciate a nicely designed package. Especially for a wine like this, which many would consider a “special occasion wine,” I like having a bottle that shows well in the visual sense.

I love Alexander Valley cabernet but my wine-buying-alter-ego is only buying italian wine right now for some reason.

Because Italian wines are sexy good!

Questions for the winery:

Can you tell us the Brix at harvest, and residual sugar for these?

Also, are these drinking well now? When do you feel they’ll peak? And how long should that “graceful life” last?

Thank you!

I had this wine a couple of years ago at the Fog City Diner in San Fran. fwiw I found it to be a fantastic bottle very well balanced and not over extracted. Have been looking for it ever since, for some reason I thought the name was just Blue. I must have been pretty tipsy when we left. in for 2

I like the idea of packaging appropriate to intent. When I pick up a $5 bottle and it weighs 15 pounds, that’s a total waste to me. Only when the wine is expensive enough that the packaging is a small % of the cost should it get more ornate. Otherwise money that could make the wine itself significantly better goes to marketing hackery.

One thing I could do without altogether is gigantic bottles. They are heavy meaning more shipping costs and they don’t fit anywhere you might want to store the bottle. I’m not asking for a thin bottle with no punt, but some restraint here is logical.

If you pick up any bottle of wine that weighs 15 lbs., you should put it back because the bottle is probably made of lead. :slight_smile:

WD… what are the odds that we’ll see the winery participating and answering some of the questions?

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again… I really need winery participation to jump in on many of these Black Tie Buys. $40/bottle is outside my normal wine-price-window. I am always interested in learning about and trying new and special wines, so I’m not opposed to the price, I just appreciate the open communication and personal connection that comes with winery participation.

I liken it to a tasting room - I’m much more likely to walk away with a case in hand if a winemaker or owner is pouring, rather than an hourly employee.

too soon me thinks. late feb i’d guess.

Looks like paying full price (+ a bit) for the Best Barrels and getting the 2006 Cab for free (best price I found on this on the internet was just under $33). Would like to get some input from the winemaker before pulling the trigger!