PRODUCTS:
2 Bodegas M 2008 Tempranillo
1 Bodegas M Wines 2010 Albariño - Querida
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter

Hmmm…very intersting!

¿Cuál es la ventana de beber? err…what’s the drinking window on these?

Gracias,
Senior Severn

You really need to come up with a new nightly question! :tongue:

The notes for the albariño say that the wine has a “creamy finish”. Does that mean that there has been malolactic fermentation?

Apparently not. From the winery website; “Our wine is unique in that it spends eight months in one year old and two year old French oak. This endows the wine with a rich underpinning to support the racy fruit attack, and gives the Albariño Querida a long, creamy finish.”

I couldn’t find any reviews of these vintages but here is a review for the 2007 Tempranillo;

“From Robert Parker: “Yes, there is some Tempranillo to be found in the Paso Robles area. Taking a page out of Spain’s winemaking Bible, this winery has produced a 2007 Tinto de Paso from 100% Tempranillo. The wine is very good, dark ruby-colored with lots of earthy blue and red fruits, medium to full body, with some rustic tannins in the finish… a tasty Tempranillo to drink over the next 4-5 years.” - The Wine Advocate, Aug 2010”

Note that, per the winery website, the 2008 vintage contains an undisclosed percentage of Graciano, which is generally thought to add structure and aging potential.

If you think that you might like the 2007 vintage instead of, or in addition to the 2008, make sure to check out Wine Searcher for an almost unbelievable sale price.

Here is a description of the 2008 vintage of Bodegas M’s Albarino from Woodland Hills Wine Company;

“A pale, lemon-straw colored wine with a moderately aromatic nose of green and citrus fruit, minerals, melon and a hint of ocean air. Medium-bodied, round and ripe, with enough acidity to keep it balanced and refreshing. Flavors of apple, pear, lemon creme, minerals, grapefruit and notes of almonds on the medium-length finish.”

Questions for the winery; With both of these wines spending time in relatively new oak barrels, how much oak is noticeable on the palate?

Would you say that the oak presence is strong, moderate or subtle? Same question regarding the tannins for each wine - strong, moderate or subtle?

Finally, how would you compare these two wines to their previous vintages? Similarities/differences?

Thanks!

I love the flamenco guitar intro on the homepage of the winery website! Now I know what I have to listen to when I drink this wine :wink:

15.2% alcohol seems a little high on the tempranillo. Does this wine have enough body to stand up to that kind of heat?

Tempranillo soaks up oak and never looks back. The 2008 will last at least seven to ten years. The Albariño is fantastic now and should last two to three years. The 2008 Tempranillo is a bit more elegant than the rough and tumble 2007; coversely, the 2010 Albariño is more refined than the 2009.

It’s a Paso wine; 15.2% is low alcohol for there! The wine has the right stuff to handle it.

I see that the tempranillo isn’t 100%. It has graciano in it. What is the % of the two. Also do you have any PH and sugar #s? Us wine geeks love those.

I see that the price on the website is $25 a bottle. That is 1/3 of the winery price. And I REALLY doubt they would ship 3 bottles for $5 like woot does.

…I had a chance to try these at the Paso Robles Garagiste festival the weekend-before-last. I love me a Spanish Tempranillo, and I love discovering new world producers that champion unexpected varietals.

Both of these wines deliver good QPR. The temp is substantial, but balanced, with ample, dark fruit and a dash of spice. The albariño is zesty and fun with a surprisingly rich mouthfeel. A refreshing alternative to Sauvignon Blanc.

The Graciano is always less than 5% of the blend. Tempranillo pH…hmmm…in the 3.8 range and the Alb is around 3.3. Sugar? This ain’t candy, no sugar!

Neil, glad you like the wines. IMHO, every sauv blanc wishes it could be an albariño!

Hello, I’m Margo Shugart,along with Alan Kinne and Micheal Young,one of the owners of Bodegas M wines. Not only are the wines world class as Alan, our winemaker said, but they’re fun as well.In fact we have built a casual culture of fun by staging “Tertulias”, which consist of our wines, tapas and a live flamenco guitarist!Look for a Bodegas M tertulia close to you, perhaps at a restaurant or fine wine shop.If you’re not familiar with these varities then give ours a try. The quality/value of these wines is outstanding- you won’t be disappointed! Thanks for wooting with Bodegas M!

Hi, I’m Michael, owner of the brand along with Margo and Alan. I wanted to add a few comments regarding those I’ve read, and add my own thoughts on the wines.
First, many wooters, and global wine lovers alike, ask about alcohol levels. Please keep this central point in mind; alcohol is only one ingredient in the wine, and as long as it is well integrated, that is, in balance with the other critical components of the wine, you have a good or excellent wine. The Paso Robles wine field is known for high alcohol wines simply because it has the longest growing season of any red wine driven AVA in California. The intense diurnal temperature spikes result in a greater number of “Degree Days” (UC Davis definition) being needed to fully ripen fruit. While we are waiting for maturity- and by this we mean the maturation of the poly phenols in the skins, not sugar levels- the sugar does indeed go up, concomitantly the alcohol level. So, when a Paso wine is made from terroir driven fully mature fruit, I would say that 15% would be low, closer to 16% the norm. Again, these alcohol levels per se are not an issue, as long as the wine is balanced by good acid PH levels, rich fruit, and is well made inside the winery. Interestingly, as global warming/ cooling takes place (Paso is actually a beneficiary of the cooling trend), look at the 2009 and 2010 Bordeaux wines…15 degrees alcohol on the right bank! I guess what I’m saying is don’t take alcohol out of contaxt, and don’t be afraid. Yes, the wines have the body, fruit, structure to hold the alcohol levels in balance.
Try a 3 pack and see!

Hi- Miguel here again. I wanted to offer a general comment aimed at many the wooter that may not have experience with the Spanish varieties being offered today from Bodegas M. Often, people tell me they aren’t familiar with Tempranillo, yet have enjoyed a bottle of Rioja, Toro, or Ribera del Duero red. These, of course, are Tempranillo based wines, as are many other wines from across Spain. The grape is referred to variously as “Tinto de Pais”, or Tinto de Toro", or Tinto de" wherever it might be produced, so commonly integrated into the grape growing history of Spain is this uncommon variety. Hence, our nod to the tierra patria with our proprietary “Tinto de Paso”. Alan states on our website that Tempranillo is as noble a variety as Cabernet or Pinot Noir, and it is ironic that it sometimes takes the advent of a variety in the new world to call attention to the great ancestors of the old world. It is amazing what the movie “Sideways” did for Pinot Noir…it actually led many Americans to discover that Burgundy wine is made from Pinot! Bass Ackwards indeed, but a discovery nonetheless. As you get your arms around our Bodegas M “Tinto de Paso” it will be interesting to reference some of the better wines of Northern Spain using it as a basis for appreciation. Alan’s comments on this blog as concerns Sauvignon Blanc having Albarino envy say it all! Salud!

NOSLENSJ; Miguel here; indeed, it is the 6 months aging in seasoned oak (american, hungarian) that gives the wine a creamy mouth feel and rich underpinning. This takes the Bodegas M Albarino into the realm of fresh shellfish and seafood…not just a pretty aperitif.

Hey Miguel-

Ñéil here. What’s your favorite food paring with the Bodegas M Tempranillo-Tinto de Paso?