Bodegas Pimenteiro - 3 Pack

Really like the descriptions from the labrats. Seems like an interesting mix. I don’t have any wines from theses grapes right now so might as well go in for these.

First sucker: jonlipsky
Speed to first woot: 3m 17.640s
Last wooter to woot: crzycajn70

[labrat]
Lab Rat Report

2008 Bodegas Paso Robles Pimenteiro

So, this was another less-than-perfect wine tasting scenario, but a LabRat has to do what a LabRat has to do, given the constraints of getting things done by press time!

It was my wife’s birthday party and there were 16 of us celebrating at the summer camp on a lovely island in Lake Winnipesaukee. A total of ten in the party really wanted to taste, so it was clear from the start that this was not going to be a long, dragged-out-over-dinner, sharing and exchanging experiences of how this wine interacted with foods and time over the extent of a full evening. Some of the tasters like and know their red wines, while others prefer whites, and still others are somewhere in between or elsewhere. We opened the bottle and pretty much poured it all out among the proffered glasses.

I don’t think anyone disliked the wine, but I also think that there wasn’t much enthusiasm among the tasters to go out of their way or to pay a lot to get this wine again. I think part of the issue might have been that people might have been expecting a big, rich red wine since they were part of this important, nationwide wine testing and then they were underwhelmed by a lighter, more subtle wine, but then I also think they were pretty accurate in their overall conclusions.

Here are a few select comments:

• hint of cherry, slow start, but somewhat stronger finish;
  • watery, yet still a bit zingy, and not chocolaty;
  • a hint of oak;
  • ordinary, yet pleasant;
  • light;
  • lighter that I like;
  • starts like a Yugo, finishes like a Fiat (not sure where that one was going);
  • light, but kind of zingy;
  • tastes like an under $15 dinner wine.

I’m not sure what to conclude from all the input except that this isn’t a big, robust red dinner wine ready to take on whatever you put it up against. I personally liked it more, I think, than most of my co-tasters, but I agree that it is not particularly a “stand out” in terms of color, aroma or taste. We had some nice appetizers such as goat cheese with basil in olive oil and another herb and cream cheese dip while tasting, however, and I do think the wine held up to these strong flavors. I know that I will remember this wine and if I see it at a reasonable price in a store I will not hesitate to purchase it. Thanks once more wine.woot!

Some variety in varietals (see what I did there…), a cool label, and most important … lab rat reports indicating it’s a wine I’ll drink. I’m in.

In for two! I was sold with the food pairings, how much better than great with blue cheese and steak!!

What! Another shill?? :wink:

Had this varietal (not the bodegas, another one) as a wine pairing at wd~50, and really enjoyed it. It was good enough to make me go in for one.

Blue Cheese?! I’m think’n a nice delmonico with a blue cheese butter crown.But, I’m afraid this wine just doesn’t have the staying power for it.

Based on the other rats comments, the critical issue might be how long you let the wine breathe before drinking. Could you expand on that? Thanks.

We did not let it breathe very long at all and had a different tasting experience from the others who did let it breathe, so it seems to me that could be a critical difference.

Cesare, only you can make “some barnyard type smell” actually sound good.

Welcome…

Didn’t you read Winedavid’s intro:

Hi All,

Neil put this deal together. Who’s Neil?

He’s the new guy. Commence rookie hazing.

So I think I understand the meaning of the two different pH levels given, but I’m wondering what the over all pH of the bottled product is? Is this just simple math - add the two together and divide by 2? Or does the pH of the different wines as fermented play an entirely different part in the composition? I love the idea of a 3.59, but a 3.85 is just too mellow for me.

Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge that might help?

First, those appear to be harvest numbers. pH typically rises significantly during both alcoholic and malolactic fermentations. Judging by the tasting notes, this wine has had acid additions.

Second, since pH is a logarithmic scale, averaging the two numbers doesn’t work. Even converting from log numbers and averaging doesn’t work because of variable buffering capacities in grape juices and wines.

Tyger was joking. Hence, the very manly winky face.

heh!

damn filters

Indeed… winky-face’s always welcome here!

By the way, I am a shill in that I’m a big fan of Bodegas and what they’re doing. Dorothy, the winemaker, is tirelessly passionate about promoting the unsung grapes of Spain and Portugal grown here in California.

This is quality juice first and foremost, a great fruit/acid balance, black pepper notes countered with sweet tobacco, nice texture and considerable finish. …and I can tell you it was a happy pairing with a little gorgonzola cheese last night.

An un-ordinary wine at a great price. I shot a little argon into the bottle last night, so we’ll see how day 2 goes this eve…

I must disagree with you, I have had this wine with bleu cheese and not only does it stand up to it, it is extremely complimentary. Great pairing!

Hi there, the two pH levels were taken the day after the grapes were destemmed. The 3.59 was the Bastardo and the 3.85 was the Tempranillo. The winemaker is on the road and doesn’t have her book with her for me to give you the overall pH. The Tempranillo was acidulated but not the Bastardo. I hope this helps!

and then Kyle’s lunch

I don’t need his money, but I am hungry