Bone broth & Lentils

Does anybody know how to make yummy tasting Bone Broth & Also Lentils?

Yummy tasting bone broth, kinda depends on what you think is yummy…

You can do just chicken, just beef or a combo (I usually do just chicken, but only because that’s what I generally have on hand - the combo is delicious).

I don’t use a recipe (so it’s a lil different every time), but here are some guidelines:
You want to start by saving your chicken bones & carcasses. Every time I make bone-in chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken, it gets deboned, and the skins, bones & cartilage all tossed into a freezer bag in the freezer. The cartilage is what is going to give your broth body (that gelatinous quality it has when cold - and the part that is really good for your own joint health). You can also add some fresh raw chicken feet from the grocery store, for more cartilage.

Same goes for veggie scraps (best if organic). Carrot peels, celery butts/ends, and onion ends for a most basic broth; but you can add other scraps for a deeper flavor. I love to add some apple peels (adds body, nutrition, and a tiny touch of sweetness), and scraps from parsnips or other root vegetables if I have them. They all go into the freezer bag until I have enough to make a batch of broth. If you want to share your broth with a dog, omit the onion & garlic (can be toxic).

You get the biggest stockpot you have, and add everything in, filling the rest of the pot with water. I also usually split a whole head of garlic in half (no need to peel), and toss that in too.
You can leave it unseasoned, but if you are looking for tasty, add in whatever spices you like in your chicken soup - I do some parsley, sage, thyme, pepper, turmeric, a couple bay leaves, etc (plus onion & garlic powder if I didn’t have fresh added already).

**Then you also NEED to add in some Apple Cider Vinegar (get the kind with “The Mother” in it, I like Braggs Brand). This is what is going to pull all of the nutrients out of the bones. I do about 1/4 cup.

Bring it all to a rolling boil, and then reduce the heat to a light simmer. Cover and let it cook for 12 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed to keep the bones covered. When it’s ready, the cartilage will all have dissolved into the broth, and the bones will be soft.

I generally wait to salt at the end, so it doesn’t concentrate too much during the cooking.

Allow it to cool, and then strain out very well (I do a 2 stage strain, first with a metal strainer to remove the bulky stuff, then with a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth).

Put into your storage containers, and refrigerate until cold - the fat will float to the surface, and can be removed before eating or freezing.

5 Likes

I’ve boiled chicken bones, etc. for many years, but you take it to a whole new level! Lots of new tricks and ideas. THANK YOU!!

2 Likes

You’re very welcome!! Glad my “not really a recipe” was helpful for at least one person!
I was hoping others would chime in so I could try other folks Bone Broth recipes.

I started making Bone Broth a number of years ago, when one of my fur babies had cancer. It was an Oral Melanoma, and a challenge for him to eat during the chemo. But he could drink, and he loved this broth (with no onions or garlic or salt) - this had so much nutrition, it got him through the really rough parts.

1 Like

I don’t do the second strain. I’m curious why you want to remove the “bulky stuff”?

The big one for me is the Thanksgiving turkey, but I also do it with anything possible during the rest of the year.

Bits of veggies left over from meals go in the freeze bag for ultimately being part of the stock. Same for left-over gravy when there isn’t more meat or potatoes left.

I refrigerate enough for the next planned use, but freeze the rest in containers about right for a batch of soup or stew. I try to get all the fat off before I freeze.

If I’m roasting some poultry, I often use carrots to raise the carcass up out of the grease. These go in the pot when making stock.

I use a little of the stock for pouring over meat I’m freezing. That keeps the meat from getting freezer burn and drying out.

If I’ve roasted something really large, I just use the roasting pan as-is for boiling the stock. This gets every bit of that tasty brown at the bottom of the roasting pan into the stock. Plus, the roasting pan is lots easier to wash when the stock is done boiling, and there isn’t the second stockpot to wash. :grinning:

The process always reminds me of the wonderful book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

2 Likes

If I were just making stock (boiling for a couple hours), the second strain wouldn’t be necessary at all. But with Bone Broth, it has been cooking for so long that some of the bones start to break down, and I want to be sure there aren’t any tiny but sharp bone fragments left behind. The mesh strainer I use still allows enough particulate through that it is a rich cloudy broth, with lots of flavor and body (cheese cloth would clarify further, but I don’t find it necessary).

I love that you said you use gravy leftovers - my thanksgiving turkey batch of BB always gets a bit of gravy and it is a great addition!

And I am alllllll for any tips that reduce the amount of dishes that need to be washed at the end of the night :+1:t2:

I have not read that book - might need to check it out :slight_smile:

This is the best advice for making bone broth ever! I have included everything you mention except for the apple cider vinegar, which I’ll have to try adding.

One other cool thing to do with chicken with cartilage is to make faux demi glace. You can use wings or feet and also use a beef shank. Do a search on YouTube for Chef John Demi Glace , there are two videos, one with the traditional recipe and one with chicken and beef, go to the second one! Chef John’s videos are great, he is funny and all his recipes are very accessible and delicious.

1 Like

I’m glad you explained this. I have trouble making myself follow directions when I don’t understand why. I might have had to learn the hard way (choking on one of those tiny fragments :scream:).

When available, I start with any water in which I’ve previously boiled vegetables that day. The potato water at Thanksgiving in particular. One more tiny bit of otherwise lost flavor and nutrition.

1 Like

I make an quick bone broth in instant pot. Instead of cooking for 12-24 hours. I break apart bones with a hammer (to get to the marrow goodness) and cook for just 2-4 hours under high pressure.
2 chicken carcasses (or 2-3lbs untrimmed any meat bones), celery, onion, carrots, garlic, apple cider vinegar, whole peppercorns, salt, and Turkish bay leaves.
I usually cook a huge batch, strain, and then freeze in ice cube trays, then transfer to vacuum sealed bags.

2 Likes