Bonny Doon Angel Paille Dessert Two - Pack

$29.99 + $7.00 shipping
Condition: 375ml Dessert
Product:
2 2007 Angel Paille Beeswax Vineyard

CT link above.

I’m not sure whether it’s coincidence or by design, but the writeup does not mention whether these are biodynamic.

I’d consider a purchase if they’re not.

I’m pretty sure that the Beeswax Vineyard is indeed farmed biodynamically… and it’s a shame you’d base your purchasing decision based on that alone. This is a fantastic wine.

Boom, Baby‼

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MalcolmPX
Speed to first woot: 0m 47.487s
Last wooter to woot: MalcolmPX

And I was last on the Sangio to boot!

I get a half week of fame!

iB…er…MalcolmPX

Can you describe to me the taste of this wine? I’m intrigued, but I want to know a little more…

Hi, can you tell me what would be a drawback to biodynamic? Doesn’t that basically mean organic?

Did you miss the first part of this week? :slight_smile:

Yes, maybe I’ll go back and read the discussion thread…thanks.

I do not and cannot dispute the quality of the wine nor Randall Grahm’s winemaking skills.

Passing on certain wines SOLELY because they’re biodynamic is the price I pay for my position (which strikes many, not without some truth, as extreme to the point of absurdity), but it’s one I’m quite willing to pay, given the alternatives.

(and hopefully, I’ll have nothing more to say in this thread)

I assume you really want to be asking PetiteSirah that question and not me.

Biodynamics is completely made-up pseudoscience that comes to us from Austrian crackpot Rudolf Steiner. I like to think of it as organic farming + a bunch of made up ridiculousness circa 1920s Austria; it involves all kinds of crazy ranging from burned mice to manure packed in cow horns, much of which is then sprayed around in homeopathic (read: vanishingly small and/or nonexistent) doses.

Some folks are so repulsed by the utter quackery of biodynamics that they don’t want to buy anything that was produced following Steiner’s proscriptions, and I think that’s a shame. Why? Simple: It tends to make good wine… although probably not because you’re harnessing super sekrit energies from Gaia but rather because you’re forced to farm much more carefully because the margin of error is so tiny if you’ve made the decision to farm your grapes that way.

Yes, it’s crazy. On the other hand, what’s in the bottle is what should count, right?

This is an exceptional wine, especially at this price (a few bucks cheaper than wine club member pricing). It’s been a while since I’ve had any, but I have good memories of a rich, beautiful dessert wine with good supporting acidity and a phenomenal florality. I loved it. I suspect most of you would too, even if biodynamics are a big turnoff.

I’m assuming this is like an Ice Wine then? Except instead of letting the grapes freeze they simply dry them instead?

I’ve not had a straw wine yet, but I’m assuming it will have the same sort of raisiny smell to it that ice wine does.

I might have to give this one a shot.

Thanks. I actually was just asking in general because I did not know, and I am tempted to try this wine…thank you for your response though. I went back and read some of the previous discussion and get the message.
I think anything is better than non-organic even if it has a little more of a cosmic tune than most of us are used to (not myself so much because I do believe in the universe etc all being interconnected, and my garden is organic) That biodynamic method seems like it can’t hurt and as long as there are no burned squirrels in the wine itself I may just go ahead and try…hope it’s good!

Bingo. Both of these kinds of wine operate on the same principle: they concentrate the sugars in the grape by removing the water, either by freezing (which means you can press the grape but leave the frozen water behind) or by drying (which evaporates the water).

Don’t worry, if there was any ashing going on here, it was definitely not in the winery itself! If you like sweet dessert wines - and I mean really good ones, with vibrant supporting acidity and charming aromatics, then you’re in very good hands here.

So how does this compare to a Sauternes? Because most Ice Wines are too sweet for me.

They are indeed using biodynamics, as you can confirm by navigating their icky flash based website. Although Biodyamics is entirely a load of hooey, at this price I’ll bite for it.

To quote wikipedia:

I’d rather know my vintner had his head screwed on straight tyvm.

This is $20 per bottle from the winery, so this is a pretty good deal. I may get some of this… sounds delicious.

Sauternes is produced using a third method for concentrating the sugar in the grapes: fungus. (Hint: it helps to call it Botrytis cinerea or noble rot. Sounds less gross that way.)

The trick to making a really good sweet wine, be it Port, icewine, Eiswein, vin de paille, fortified muscat, etc. is to get the acidity right. Here’s a fun example: Take a large glass of ice water. Add a few tablespoons of sugar syrup to it. Drink some. Does it taste good? Heck no. Now, squeeze a lemon into the same glass of sugar water. How’s that taste? Pretty darned good, right? But if you add even more sugar to it, it’s no longer palatable. Some icewine is produced with so much residual sugar that it’s like drinking sugar syrup, and what’s the fun in that? Get the acidity right, though, and the beautiful sweetness is perfectly counterbalanced by refreshing acidity.

This wine is sweet, but it’s all in perfect balance. Me, I like this best with blue cheese, figs, dried apricots, and walnuts, but I digress. What I really meant to say is “don’t sweat the sweet stuff, some folks get it right. This is good.”

BTW, I totally forgot to answer your question. How does this compare to a Sauternes? Favorably, I think, but if it’s the botrytized character in particular that you like about Sauternes, then you may be better off with Bonny Doon’s other dessert wine from this vineyard, which is a (partially?) botrytized roussanne. I don’t think there’s any botrytis influence here, but I could well be wrong. Hopefully bonny dude RG will enlighten us all.

Some elaboration on the taste would be helpful !