Bonny Doon Pinot Noir Vertical (3)

Bonny Doon Vineyard Pinot Noir Vertical 3-Pack
$64.99 $142.00 54% off List Price
2012 Bonny Doon Pinot Noir, Spanish Springs Vineyard, San Luis Obispo
2013 Bonny Doon Pinot Noir, Spanish Springs Vineyard, San Luis Obispo
2014 Bonny Doon Pinot Noir, Van der Kamp Vineyard, Sonoma Mountain

Received a sample earlier this week. Wine is dark ruby red in color. Nice upfront fruit, and long finish. I had roasted chicken and a baked sweet potatoe with it. Very nice.

What size are the bottles…?

Was a nice surprise to get an email Monday alerting me to the impending arrival of my first golden ticket and opportunity to rat a Woot! bottle.

I received a 2012 Bonny Doon Spanish Springs Vineyard Pinot Noir. A nice selection for me as Pinot is where my wine obsession began.
Wine arrived Tuesday afternoon at room temperature or slightly below. Brought it home and popped the screw cap. Initial nose was bright red fruits, a little dusty but in a pleasing way.

Color was bright red with some very mild bricking around the edge, very thin legs.

The first taste showed strong cranberry, some candied red fruit with bright, fresh tastes. Seemed very young. First impression was a thin Pinot with no real complexity, no noticeable heat at all and very little tannins. Lots of tartness to accompany the cranberries. After a few hours it did put on a little weight but remained simple; maybe beginning to show a little white pepper. No noticeable oak, almost seems like it saw no wood at all.

Overall it was a bit disappointing, showing none of the complexity I enjoy and would have expected from a 2012 Pinot.

On the second night the wine had darkened a bit, but the flavors and nose were even more muted and absent than on night one. I waited for it to warm back up to room temp after the night capped in the fridge, but nothing more developed. The tartness and strong cranberry flavors were now gone.

This wine made me struggle to find any nuances at all to describe instead of struggling to figure out what the nuances were.

While the vertical offered today is intriguing, I have many more interesting Pinots in the cellar.

Happy to join the ranks of Grape Debaters

Which vintage?

Thanks for the notes, did the wine rest at all or did you open it the same night?

The default assumption would be 750 mL. If it were otherwise, that would have been specified, in all likelihood.

“Pinot Noir Vertical” - I am guessing that after 3 bottles, it becomes “Pinot Noir Horizontal”

The bottle ‘rested’ upright on my desk for three hours before I took it home and opened it. Curious if you think travel shock was responsible for the absence of any complexity here.

Travel shock isn’t real! :happy:

Oddly this seems to happen to a large number of pinots that get sent out for rattage. Or the wine was bad to begin with…

Great Pinot at this price point seems difficult. The cheaper ones often are one dimensional and lose the qualities I love about Pinot. If you’ve found some let me know!

I’d swear I’ve had Bonny Doon wines I’ve liked before but havent found any notes on it.

Woot gets it wrong on direct to consumer wine shipping. MA should be on the approved list. I will point this out on every wine woot until they fix it.

Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators, wine may only be delivered to the following states:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, District Of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Wisconsin
If your state’s not on the list, you’re out of luck… for now. Keep up with the ever-changing laws over at ShipCompliantBlog.com, and/or sound the alarms with your state assembly person through FreeTheGrapes.org. Meanwhile, all Federal, state and local laws are complied with in providing this wine.

We really liked the Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare from a few years ago but given the cellar tracker reviews for these three (the 2012 and 2014 have negative reviews, the 2013 has none) and the rattage I think this one is a pass :frowning:

Why would PN be more susceptible than other varieties?

Perhaps you would be happier if they edited their copy to read “we can only deliver this wine…” Because that would be accurate. And you could save your ire.

I’m sorry, but we can only ship to states where the winery has a license. Each winery is in charge of their own permits and licensing, we only operate on the info they provide us with at the time of the sale. Shipping will vary from sale to sale, even for the same wineries. I know it’s frustrating, but we operate within some very tight legal limitations to continue to bring community members great deals on great wines.

I think they make a very good point, in terms of what seems to be irking them – the copy asserts that wine can only be shipped to the listed states, which is not true, as we all know. It’s too sweeping a statement. Wine can be shipped to the other states – just not by Wine Woot. Why not just say that?

I think it would save a lot of gnashing of teeth on the part of frustrated, would-be buyers, if that statement could be modified to make it accurate, as I suggest above.

I’m right there with you on both points: loved the rose, but I’m leery of ordering this.