Bonny Doon Sparkling Syrah (3)

My local enabler, thanks! I’ll order.

Willing to give up another, if someone’s curious. Not sure if any of my officemates will want to pony up for this one.

Can anyone say if this is sweet?

I like Mumm’s sparkling Cuvee M Red and also their sparkling pinot so I’m close to giving this a try but I really don’t like sweet wines.

The beer bottle cap looks weird. Is it just me? I’m not a closure snob, it just looks weird. On the plus side, you’d have to finish the bottle in one sitting. Or all three, whatever. I want alcohol.

I’ve had another one from California that used the bottle cap as well and actually thought it was pretty cool.

You can use one of those twist top bottle toppers to hold the pressure and it will keep this fresh in the fridge for another day or two.

It shouldn’t come across as sweet, you may notice some sugar in the mouthfeel but it shouldn’t taste sweet.

And apparently you didn’t put an eye out, opening the bottle…

Hi! We meant that opening in your sparkling white, clean kitchen, wearing your favorite blouse while sabering a bottle of our Sparkling Syrah is NOT recommended. :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, there have been a few bottles under more pressure than others. We are proud that this was produced in the traditional method, but it does yield less predictable results. Wait at least one week after the shipment arrives to open. Ideally, after chilling down, open your bottle outside rather than indoors, slowly removing the crown cap, with the bottle pointed away from you.

I hope this helps to explain. The wine is utterly delicious and unique. Everyone who tries it falls in love!

Cheers,
Katie

This is not sweet at all. It’s literally a Syrah with bubbles. Great tannins, but with a champagne bead. Hope that helps to give an idea.

Cheers!
Katie

Wine.Woot has reassured us that it will arrive in time for Valentine’s. Killer with a bittersweet chocolate dessert. We don’t usually reach for chocolate in our pairings, but have found it irresistible with this one.

Your Valentine will love it, or in my case, I am gifting to myself for Valentine’s. Selfie Valentine gifts are the way to go.

You took the words out of my mouth. We use crown cap closures for all of our sparkling endeavors. If there is anything left after serving (usually not), we use this to seal up http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/More/Wine-Accessories/Franmara/Champagne-Stopper/16369

Ha! If you’ve seen my kitchen, “sparkling white, clean” would not be an apt descriptor – splashes of red wine might even improve the decor. And I’ve barely got room to swing an eggbeater, much less a saber!

Thanks for the tips – looking forward to trying it.

Randall Grahm is our winemaker and President-for-Life. For more information on his contribution to the industry, read here: Randall Grahm - Bonny Doon Vineyard

Your kitchen sounds like mine! I feel better knowing there’s someone else out there. The actual image of a sparkling clean kitchen came to us via email from a club member. Her kitchen is now pink tie dye. Fair warning!

A good friend of mine took a sparkling Shiraz to a restraunt once and had it geyser on him when the waiter opened it.

Thanks for your question. For sparkling wine, whether the base is made up of white or red grapes, we aim for a higher acid base wine. You’ll notice in Randall’s notes, “You begin by first fearing not the tannin—we picked a base wine that had wonderful natural acidity but relatively low tannin.” Our Sparkling Albarino is a similar example - Acid is 9.81 g/L and pH is 3.3.

Bravo, well put!

Yikes! Well, it’s not just us then. Wine training in restaurants should now include the slow opening of Sparkling Syrah or Shiraz when table side.

TL;DR I love Woot

I recently became aware of a forum (which will remain nameless so I don’t get in trouble for moving traffic) that has a one-day-a-year winery-direct deal day. Everyone was raving and omg-itsjustso-icantwait ing
I dropped by to check it out their pre-day deal listings.

My bank account now has PTSD, I’m huddled under my desk crying, and I didn’t even buy anything.

Thanks WD and everyone involved for having a nice place with realistic (actual?) deals for new oenophiles like me to grow up, and (hopefully) grow old.

(ON topic: I can’t wait to try this offer, I love Syrah and the Contra Red sold me on Bonny Doon.)

Thanks to the winery for comments. Their discussion pushed me over the edge. I was leaning pretty hard already, as I really enjoy sparkling Shiraz. Cheers.

Chandon uses a crown cap on their upper line sparkler - etoile. So I even have a cap removed that is designed to be pointed away. Shiraz may be the wrong color to get on a polar bear, so I appreciate the safety suggestions.

LOL, can’t bleach a polar bear! Glad we could help, that’s what we’re here for. Cheers!