Boska Holland Mini Cheese Raclette
$19.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: New
PRODUCTS:
1 Boska Holland Mini Cheese Raclette

Previous Offer:
6/10/10

In for one, $40 on Amazon…

OK, where’s the person who asked for the Raclette earlier?

I love me some raclette! Too bad I already have one. Gotta think of someone who would like it as a gift!

Ideal for camping – as long as your campsite has a power outlet.

taelengirl said:

Bah! I thought it might have been time for a raclette!

Ask and ye shall receive. No one ask for another Elvis poster!

It is wedding season time and I am seriously thinking of going off-registry for my cousin. She didn’t come to my wedding and her parents gave me a (not that expensive, considering the circumstances) “family” gift to include her and her sister that was off-registry and something I will never use. I actually think she might like this so that might defeat the purpose. Damn you raclette, damn you!

At most Whole Foods…next to the raclette and emmanthaler cheese…you can find for like $12…what they call a “tapas raclette” powered by two tea lights.

They suck. Really. If you’ve ever thought of trying raclette…buy one of these little Boska jobbers.

I own one…and it’s a handy supplement to my full-sized raclette…I can use it to grill raw chicken and keep it away from other foods on my regular raclette…and it’s a handy place for my husband to grill shrimp. (I’m allergic.) It’s also a nice two person raclette for when it’s just snack night.

It’s VERY well made for the size. Though it’s nice to put something heat safe underneath…I notice barely any warming of the table when we’re using it. And it gets up to a very respectable temperature. Another nice thing…the clearance between the raclette pan and the heating element is a little wider than my full-sized raclette…so I can put taller stuff under it. If you have a full-sized Swissmar raclette…the pans are almost interchangeable.

The darn thing is smaller than a toaster. Just buy it. Melted cheese on tiny redskins is heaven.

Yes, I realize this is crazy, but does anybody who has one of these think one could roast a pepper with it? I hate firing up the broiler all the time to prep one ingredient…

I’m confused…what exactly does this do? Melt cheese? Is it like fondue?

You mean now I can have toasted cheese just like Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin? Awesome!

I bought this from woot a year or so ago and I use at least weekly. I have only used it for raclette three or four times though. This thing is incredibly multipurpose.

1. I do a few strips of bacon, lardo, prosciutto, whatever on the top using a cast iron press. Works great.
  2. Underneath, you can put an egg in each cup and get a top-cooked poached egg, and then you can put cheese on top of it and get color that way.
  3. I use it like a salamander to color the tops of foods that I don’t want cooked. So you can brown the cheese in bowls of onion soup, for example.
  4. I’ll slide a toasted muffin in there with toppings that need cooking or melting - excellent.

So, why don’t I use a toaster oven? Because I don’t want high moisture convective cooking, i want radiative cooking only for color. And, this thing is tiny. It will fit in a drawer and disappear.

I’m not a fan of teflon on anything, so I give that a zero, but I just slide my small cast iron pieces or ceramic into or on top with no trouble.

I’ve almost talked myself into buying a second one…

Sounds as good as a Sham-Wow!!

Next to fondue, this is my favorite food ever! Although I think I will wait for a bigger one…

Actually you melt a slice of Raclette cheese in it and when it is melted you pour it over steamed patatoes, slices of ham etc. Add a pickle. It’s kind of fast food in the French Alps.

You can’t roast a whole pepper and get the appropriate char…no.

Raclette is pretty much the Swiss national dish. Melted cheese over fingerlings.

Boska makes the more traditional “cheese stand” raclettes. This is basically a mini-version of a modern raclette. It’s a very good brand.

You can also brunch with a raclette…cooking eggs underneath. Polenta. Mini-pizzas. Bacon.

It’s like fondue in that it’s a “social food”. You put slices of cheese (traditionally Raclette cheese, but anything you like really) into the little removable pan, and let them melt, which takes a minute or two. You then pour the melted cheese over other food you’ve already prepared-- traditionally, small boiled potatoes.

It’s great in the winter, and as a dinner party with some friends… though in that case I’d recommend getting a couple of these, to speed up the process a little.

Raclette (pronounced /rəˈklɛt/) is both a type of cheese and a Swiss dish based on this cheese.
Contents

* 1 Cheese
* 2 Dish
* 3 References
* 4 External links

Cheese

Raclette is a semi-firm, cow’s milk cheese - most commonly used for melting. It is usually fashioned into a round of about 6 kg (13 lb).

Dish

Raclette is also a dish indigenous to parts of Switzerland. The Raclette cheese round is heated, either in front of a fire or by a special machine, then scraped onto diners’ plates; the term raclette derives from the French word racler, meaning “to scrape”. Traditionally, it is accompanied by small firm potatoes (Bintje, Charlotte or Raclette varieties), gherkins, pickled onions, and dried meat, such as prosciutto and viande des Grisons.

In the Swiss canton of Valais, raclette is typically served with tea or other warm beverages. Another popular option is to serve raclette with white wine, such as the traditional Savoie wine or Fendant, but Riesling and Pinot Gris are also common.

Raclette was mentioned in medieval writings as a particularly nutritious meal consumed by peasants in mountainous Switzerland. It was then known in the German-speaking part of Switzerland as Bratchäs, or “roasted cheese.” Traditionally, the Swiss cow herders used to take the cheese with them when they were moving cows to or from the pastures up in the mountains. In the evenings around the campfire, they would place the cheese next to the fire and, when it had reached the perfect softness, scrape it on top of some bread.
A modern electric Raclette grill and various accompanying foods

A modern way of serving raclette involves an electric table-top grill with small pans, known as coupelles, to heat slices of raclette cheese in. Generally the grill is surmounted by a hot plate or griddle. The cheese is brought to the table sliced, accompanied by platters of boiled or steamed potatoes, other vegetables and charcuterie. These are then mixed with potatoes and topped with cheese in the small, wedge-shaped coupelles that are placed under the grill to melt and brown the cheese. Alternatively, slices of cheese may be melted and simply poured over food on the plate. The accent in raclette dining is on relaxed and sociable eating and drinking, the meal often running to several hours. French and other European supermarkets generally stock both the grill apparatus and ready-sliced cheese and charcuterie selections, especially around Christmas. Restaurants also provide raclette evenings for parties of diners.

If you cut the pepper in half and put the skin side up under the element, I’d bet you could get a char, but it might take so long that you would cook the pepper too. A broiler element is much much hotter.