Boxee Box HD Media Player by D-Link

Does it have an ir repeater? There is no way I’d have that thing sitting out in the open.

I’m a little slow… is this simply a competitor to a Roku player?

Pls & Thx

Is it Java enabled?

That’s a product killer for me. A box designed to replace everything else shouldn’t require another box.

I bought a Panasonic blu-ray player with built-in wifi, pandora, netflix, hulu, and several other proprietary apps for $20 less than this product.

Find the bigger white elephant:

Basically… I believe it also streams content from your PC. It is a failed product on the back end of its life cycle. Also, the Roku has Hulu. This does not.

Okay, I read in a review on CNET boxee has its own brower with flash support. If so, can’t you get HULU and other web sites via the browser? If so, that opens up not just hulu, but espn3 and other browser video. Thanks!

Maybe. That’s iffy. Hulu Plus was accessible through Google TV via its proprietary browser, but Hulu quickly patched that hole.

You would have to get confirmation from a current Boxee user on whether or not it works. I saw some search results that said as much, but the articles were dated 2010 so that easily could have changed.

Regardless, who wants to buy a media box and be forced to use its browser to watch content?

Way too much hassle for something that is supposed to be the complete opposite and charges you as though it isn’t.

I just ordered a Raspberry Pi for $42. It has a faster processor than the Roku 2. At least I’ll be able to tinker with it and do a variety of things for half the price.

Thanks Woot! for reminding me to get a Raspberry Pi.

I know lots of people hate Boxee (at least in online forums), but I love mine. It pulls files from my NAS seamlessly, plays Pandora without any glitches, has a slick Netflix interface, and has a pretty decent web browswer. The NaviX app, which is readily available and free on at least one respository, is a gem as well. See http://dir.fuzzthed.com/. If Hulu is a deal breaker for you, then this isn’t your box. If you want a reliable, fast media streamer that will hitch up to your NAS without a hiccup, this is a steal. There’s an ESPN 360 app as well, but it’s slightly glitchy.

Roku is half the price (woot price) with all the features and then some. especially after reading all the comments, i’m glad i passed this by.

I’m assuming I could get anything I’ve downloaded/purchased from Amazon to work with this thing. But what about Amazon rentals/Prime streaming?

Bought one of these a few years ago. Let’s see, where to start, sparse updates at best, browser doesn’t have the latest flash support which means no Daily Show or Colbert, no Amazon Prime support (odd since Woot is an Amazon site), no Hulu, configuration is sometimes difficult, randomly resets, not as customizable as XBMC, closed interface, support in general is lacking…in short, save some money and I’ll sell you mine for $50.

Which Panasonic model? I am looking for something that will stream from NetFlix and VuDu. Also, the Panasonic DVD player in my home theater broke, so a compatible upgrade is just what I am looking for.

Ya, I agree. Saving money is good. But when Sickbeard doesn’t find AWFUL Bravo TV shows my wife watches, unhappy wife is bad.

The Boxee will pretty much play anything you throw at it, it works great with my NAS. Just be aware there is most likely a new version coming out this Fall.

I’ve owned a Boxee since launch, and I love it: it’s one of the best, and simplest solutions for playing local content. And since playing local content is my main use, I’d grab this immediately if I had the need (all my TVs are already connected to boxees!).

That being said, the company has gone silent on any new firmware related to the box, while at the same time launching other products (e.g. cloudee…). Therefore, it’s other features are very good but getting a bit stale, and the support is very frustrating - literally not one post on their forums from a developer, and their bug tracking tool (JIRA) is a ghost town.

Bottom line: want to play local content? buy it. If other features are preferred (e.g. netflix, etc.) - consider it a contender, but do your research.

Not to be confused with … FOAR EVERYWUN FRUM BOXXY - YouTube

I bought mine refurbished and it works great (sellers on ebay have lots of them and if you go through a reputable one they also have fairly liberal return policies if there is an issue).

I’m actually away from home right now, but I believe it is this model:

Panasonic DMP BDT210

I also just saw a used “Panasonic Smart Network Blu-Ray Disc Player DMP-BD87” that specifically mentions Vudu, Hulu, and Netflix for $59.99 w/free shipping advertised as fully operational with remote.

Uh, I have to register to find out info?! No thanks.

NO repeater. No IR. Uses RF. No line of site needed.