CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT:
3 2008 Anderson Valley Pinot Noir
CT link above

Winery website

Breggo on Facebook
Breggo on Twitter
Breggo on Yelp

Had the 06 of this a few times and thought it was wonderful. I also have an 06 Donnelly Creek in stock I haven’t tried yet.

Will this goat wine be like a Carneros pinot, but just a little more stubborn?

Smoke Taint?

From the reviews on snooth it appears there may have been smoke damage to this vintage. Maybe the winemaker can clarify if there was?

From the winery website, this appears to be their “cheap” Pinot Noir – $42/bottle, rather than $55. So this is buy 1-1/2, get 1-1/2 free.

pinotfile on Breggo
Possibly http://www.princeofpinot.com/welcome_visitor/?next=/winery/442/ might also work.

K&L had the 07 with reviews from WS, Tanzer, Parker etc.
91 points Wine Spectator: “Intense and fleshy, with a tight beam of black cherry, wild berry and raspberry flavors that’s full-bodied, complex and concentrated, ending with a delicate aftertaste. Drink now through 2013.” (Web Only, 2009) 90 points Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar: “Bright red. Strawberry, raspberry and potpourri on the nose. Fleshy red and dark berry flavors are complemented by Asian spices and smoky minerals, with good back-end clarity and suppleness. Finishes with echoing red fruits, candied flowers and lingering sweetness. This round, supple wine is delicious now.” (May/June 2009) 90 points Robert Parker: “The outstanding 2007 Pinot Noir Anderson Valley (the only bottled 2007 Pinot) exhibits a dark ruby color in addition to a broad, complex bouquet of wet stones, sandy, loamy soil notes, pomegranate, blue as well as blackberries, and a hint of flowers. Textured, fresh, and medium to full-bodied, it is ideal for drinking over the next 4-6 years. This is an impressive, up-and-coming operation in the Anderson Valley, and I can’t recommend their wines highly enough.” (12/08)

From http://www.princeofpinot.com/article/906/

From an economic standpoint, the 2008 vintage was a disaster for Anderson Valley wineries. Over half of the grapes grown in the valley are Pinot Noir and this finicky grape was particularly affected by the calamities of the vintage. Anderson Valley wineries had three choices in 2008 in dealing with grapes exposed to wildfire smoke. Some chose to release no Pinot Noirs or to declassify the wine and sell it off in bulk. Producers such as Copain (bottled no 2008 Anderson Valley Pinot Noirs), Londer (declassified 80% of production), and Littorai followed this tack (Ted Lemon chose to incorporate his Anderson Valley grapes in a rosé and in a Les Larmes cuvée that was vinified in a simple fashion to provide early drinkability and priced significantly less than the usual Littorai bottlings). **Others employed various smoke taint reduction techniques such as carbon or resin filtration and reverse osmosis both of which tend to reduce the smoke taint but can strip the wine of its character. There is no current technology that can completely remove smoke taint. Producers who chose this tack included Breggo and Elke. **

I believe Roessler was also included in the latter group, and the winemaker regaled us with a nice discussion of his thought process and technique in a past thread.

Kinda the elephant in the bathtub with this one…

Agreed on the Roessler discussion. I’ve had a number of AV 08s, but none at this price point that have smoke taint. Honestly, I think word travels fast about a bad wine, and there’s nothing here to make me think that this is in that category.

There are certainly some gems in the AV 2008 Pinots, and I’d wager that the offering here has been well discerned/screened/filtered.

I have no editorial comments. Just pointing out that the vineyard is known to have been affected and to have tried to filter out the smoke. What it did to the wine? I have no idea.

[edit] Except to note that the winery sells it for much less than their non-AV 2008 PNs.

I confuse the Alexander and the Anderson valleys for obvious reasons. It’s Anderson that had the problem (this one), as avvandrew told us recently.

Bu did you know that winesmith invented the filtration process for purifying wine from taint, Brett, rot (at least one of those if not more) without removing the taste?! A nugget of info from Scott Harvey. Of course, some other ass made all the money.
Not sure if it works with smoke though. We should ask Clark when he woots in the near future…

I just did a tasting at a local wine shop of Anderson Valley pinot this past weekend. I would definitely caution people not to look at the '07 reviews of the wines for guidance about the '08. This tasting involved a number of different wines from the same Anderson Valley vineyard, and it was astounding how different the '07 and '08 vintages were. That’s not to say that people won’t like this '08, of course, but rather, I’d just warn that those two years are very different.

The '08 from this weekend, which was something around a $30 bottle thanks to the smoke, had a harsh smokiness that hit me pretty hard on the aftertaste, but then I had at least one '08 Anderson Valley a few weeks ago at the Roessler tasting room that was completely free of it to my taste and made for one of my favorites of the day. I’d be really curious to hear about how this one turned out from the winemaker.

Fine points, and thank you. Mind you, maybe we should just accompany these with smoked meats!

How to Save a Fire-Damaged Vintage

Another review suggesting this wine was affected: Grape Stories

“On the nose they are strawberries, red cherries and then ash and more ash. On the palate it is dominated by cigarette ash over the strawberries, cherries and possibly a hint of raspberries but it was very hard to discern the underlying fruit. The wine seemed quite lean which might suggest some filtering efforts to reduce the occurance of ash smoke. Shame about the 2008 because the 2007 Pinots tasted were really singing.”

This got an 83 from James Laube at Wine Spectator.

Anderson Valley wines are almost always interesting, and very often (like these wines) come in with numbers for alcohol and acidity that are much more in line with traditional norms. The Rieslings, and Chardonnay- and Pinot Noir-based sparkling wines often have been superb, regularly among the best in California and reaching world class quality at their best.

Thus, this offer intrigues.

The problem, of course, is the smoke issue. This is a case where early, and forthright, winery participation is critical to the success of the offering.

The winery spokespersons cannot blow smoke on the smoke.

The issue must be addressed directly. I would suggest detailed information on what was done to deal with smoke taint and just how successful the treatment was. The fact the winery has priced this wine significantly lower in ordinary commerce than the 2007 suggests (1) the treatment has been less than completely successful, (2) the vintage is less successful regardless of smoke issues, (3) despite success in (2) or (1) they cannot sell it at 2007 prices because of public perception of (1) or (2) or because of general market conditions (too much wine, people feel broke), or (4) some combination of all of the above.

Inquiring winos want to know…

I use these maps to help me learn the lay of the land…

http://mappery.com/California-Wine-Map

http://www.theworldwidewine.com/Wine_and_Food/Wine_and_Beef/Syrah_california_wine_food.php

This thread is the perfect example of why this forum is so extraordinary. I have tripled my knowledge of wine and wine related topics thanks to you all. Not all deals are “deals.” Thanks and cheers.