Brinkmann 3 Watt Luxeon LED Aluminum Flashlight - 2 Pack

seems a hit or miss based on the reviews here

I grabbed a couple of these last time they were up on Woot!

Very nice flashlights. Well-made and brighter than you’d think.

For 2D cells get the new MagLED (its way brighter and with better throw and better beam quality. These lights suck donkey balls. Look on candlepowerforums.com for better lights for the money. I know, I have three from the last woot deal and I regret it. Modification capabilities very limited.

These seem decent.

And I laughed harder than I’d like to admit at the description.

“shindig966 wonders how deep it’ll go.”

That’s what she said!

I’ve dropped them into 3+ feet of water (hip deep). They seem to hold up fine.

Yeah, if it works. I got one last time and it was junk, really cheap and didn’t work so stay away. You can get a 3 watt light on ebay for $6.99, item=350274354590.

Nerdy question: anyone know the lumen rating on these?

I have one from sellout.woot not too long ago.

It’s spread (how wide it shines outward) is as far and bright as my halogen Mag-Lite 3-cell, and it’s center (the most concentrated area of light) is brighter than my Mag-Lite when it is set to it’s narrowest setting.

So it’s all-around brighter (although not adjustable, it spreads as far, while not compromising a bright center you would normally have to adjust the Mag-Lite to), uses one less battery, and the bright white of LED is attractive.

Mines has had a few drops and still works fine. I completely recommend this flashlamp for a primary light, or for the car, etc. At $18 bucks or so each (with shipping and buying batteries) this is a great two-fer for those wanting to switch to LED flashlamps.

I bought three of these several months ago on Woot. I love the one I opened, but the one I gave to my father this weekend as a gift had a cracked plastic casing around the LED. It still worked, but had a weird focus and did not seem nearly as bright as mine. I was totally bummed. I have one more in the drawer. I probably need to check it. Still, I love mine.

I generally avoid things that use D cells, unless they take two, in which case I suggest two adapter shells and two Eneloop AA batteries. A larger outlay up front, but you can just recharge the batteries as needed, or once a year if they sit in a drawer. (That long shelf life is the reason I suggest Eneloops.)

I have to agree. At least the part about these not having a very good beam quality. I also have 3, and they are the last ones I reach for because the beam is so narrow that it’s really useless for anything with in 10 or 20 feet. Beyond that, they show a wider beam, but by then it’s to dark. I think with a little better diffuser/reflector they would be great.

120, according to this review: http://www.softsailor.com/news/11341-deal-of-the-day-brinkmann-809-2082-0-3-watt-luxeon-led-aluminum-flashlight.html

I bought a pair of these in a previous Woot. Nice aluminum case, but mine had some quality problems.

The switches take a fair amount of effort to turn on. You really have to center your thumb on the switches and push hard for them to stay on. Harder than I’d expect for a flashlight switch.

The rubber cover on one of the light switches was cracked (torn) out of the packaging. Sort of dry-rot looking. The other rubber cover is in one piece, but the internal switch seems to have a sharp edge and it feels like it’ll tear through if used a lot.

There’s also a noticeable difference in the light output between the two I received.

They’re still OK flashlights, but not really great flashlights.

I got three of these lights the last time around. Two worked great and are in the cars; the third one was totally dead out of the box and could not be revived.

Ya get what ya pay for, I guess.

Bought two of this last time Woot offered them and they work great, gave one to the mother in law and she loves it, The Mag lights are built a little better but you probably won’t find them for a price like this

I bought 3 of these in November for $9.99 plus shipping
They’re good bright flashlights. I’d recommend them.

http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=9885

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3563823

I bought two and one didn’t work. :frowning:

I couldn’t get Eneloops to work in mine. The spring diameter appeared too big to make contact with the AA inside the shell.

I love that song (One Headlight).