Broadxent BritePort Cable Modem

unless you are paying for super premium, no speed i see on there is faster than DOCSIS2.0, and 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1… so despite it not being on a very limited ‘compatible modem list’ i would assume it would work on /most/ connections… and hell, if you bought it, and it worked you’d be out either 2 or 5 month’s rental fee ($10 or $3 rental fee), so its not a horrible gamble to make.

I have Mediacom and have had a DOCSIS1.1 modem for nearly 6 years, and isn’t any slower than any other modem i’ve seen, or at least not significantly

if you are paying a lot extra already for a premium service, buy a DOCSIS 3.0 somewhere, otherwise this is not a bad investment at all

Don’t encourage her. :slight_smile:

lol so true

I think its something they put there to make you think you have to rent their equipment. I bought a Belkin cable modem off another DOD site (hint: board games) a while ago and it connected to Cox’s system with no problem. Actually only problem is that I’m not subscribed to their service, but I can get to the “it works, now pay us” page.

Me, I’ll get one… figure if the current cable modem craps itself (and it probably will), I can clone the MAC address and have a cheap replacement in the meantime.

Well, before the cable franchises settled on the DOCSIS standard, there were companies offering cable modem service. Those modems are not compatible with today’s systems that run on DOCSIS. This is, more than likely, an old warning.

Some bought 3??
replqacement when the first breaks? or Why else?

to sell them on ebay… wait a couple of days, then ebay-it and see…

There’s already one on eBay. $4.99 + 15 bucks for shipping. So it’s cheaper here.

Honestly I wouldn’t expect much from a 10 dollar modem.

If you want the cable co. to come fix problems for no charge then get their modem. With this puppy you’ll be on your lonesome.

4.99 is the opening bid, not what you can buy it for.

FYI - this what Comcast says about the Broadxant 8601:
This modem cannot be upgraded to comply with the DOCSIS 1.1 specification. If you currently use this model it is not necessary to remove it from the network. However, this device should not be returned to service if sent back to the warehouse, nor should it be purchased for use with the Comcast High-Speed Internet Service.

Can I set up more than one modem in my house (w/o paying extra?) I’m on RCN

You expect me to buy an Aggie modem? No thank you.

If I see some sheep that need screwing, however, I’ll send 'em this way.

(Raider Power)

FYI - This cable modem is not certified by Comcast. No certification = no available bootfile = no service. If Comcast is your ISP, don’t get this modem.

Unless our cable company includes the “rent” as part of the service fee and doesn’t offer a discount for providing our own.

I believe Comcast tells people in our area that they HAVE to rent the modems from them.

Then again, my in-laws brand new modem from Comcast crapped out on them a few weeks ago. Comcast “couldn’t” come look at their problem for 2 weeks.
I’m thinking this may make a good back-up modem just in case. That way I may still have internet until Comcast decides to get off their butts to replace my modem.

BTW, FWIW, we had Time Warner for years - no problems. Comcast takes over the area and in the past year there’s been more problems than we can count!

I’ve worked for Comcast’s internet division for 3 years. A docsis 1.1 modem is quickly becoming useless. I have activated thousands of modems in the last few years for internet and have never come across this modem. It may work but will not achieve 6 meg (current Comcast speed) on top of it Docsis 3 is coming next year current version is 2. If you buy this modem I’d call your cable company first. Cause I dont think many cable companies will support this modem.

my local Cox sells used(refurbished) cable modems for $20, the same models they rent to customers. Something to ask about. Hard to beat it! :slight_smile:

I saw a page on the Comcast website that said it was certified.

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/misc/cmclist.htm

Well, I don’t need one, but Gig’em Aggies!

(Proudest Member of the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Class of 2007 - A- Whoop!)