Broken Earth CdR Rhone Blend Case (12)

Let’s see, list price is $15 x 12 = $180. Since Woot lists $216, that leaves $36 for shipping, which sounds about right for a case of wine.

What’s being inflated?

Agreed. And quite honestly anymore $36 for a full case is a bargain.

Very interesting.

So, no Rhone wines labeled under AOC regulations can have PS in them. But, PS is still really a Rhone variety.

Hi wine.wooters.
Thank you all for your support of our wines over the past year. I’m Ursula Cameron here from the Winery to answer any questions I can for you about today’s wine.woot.
Cheers

Sort of. In a family way. As it were. :slight_smile:

“As a conclusion of DNA fingerprinting at the University of California, Davis in 1997, Syrah was identified as the source of the pollen that originally crossed with Peloursin flowers. The grape’s high resistance to downy mildew encouraged its cultivation in the early 20th century in areas like Isère and Ardèche, although the relative low quality of the resulting wine caused the grape to fall out of favor with local wine authorities. Today, it is almost nonexistent in France.”

I’m sorry if my note in the Grape Debater review about price served as a diversion from the wine. Not my intention.

I agree with WD wholeheartedly - seriously good wine at an amazing price.

In case it wasn’t clear, we’re in for a case. I will reiterate, this one isn’t for everyone but it’s a nice fruit forward daily drinker. Especially for the price!

Minnesota is listed in the states that can purchase, but check out says I can’t buy. Please clarify.

Thanks

I don’t understand how a wine from the US can be called Cotes du Rhone?? How is that not a specific origin - see Côtes du Rhône AOC - Wikipedia

I also saw “port” from California in the store the other day…what next, champagne???

Well, yes, but not next. Some CA vintners are grandfathered in to an allowance to put “Champagne” on their labels (like Korbel).

Yes, if the producer of the Champagne is grandfathered in like the producer of the Port apparently is.

Historically, all of the various French and German (now) protected names, as well as many names no longer used such as Hock and Claret, were used in California as generic descriptors both before and after Prohibition. Even now, legally, California sparkling wine can be labelled California Champagne (though it couldn’t be sold in the EU…) and California port-style wines can be labelled California Port.

I know, it shocks you… but, I assure you, many generations grew up with even the top quality California sparklers and port sytle wines labelled “California Champagne” and “California Port”.

Also interesting that before prohibition, many premium wines did use varietal labels: the top wines from the California Wine association were a 10 year old Cabernet and an aged Riesling. Who knew?

Soooo: would anyone vouch for this wine being good for the price?

Funny!

Indeed! See above. :slight_smile:

They still have to be grandfathered in to use those terms though, producers who used the terms prior to 2006 or thereabouts. Let’s not forget good ol’ Carlo Rossi Burgundy either :slight_smile: