Buffalo Gigabit DualBand Router & Bridge

pretty good reviews (4.2 out of 5.0)on the router at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-AirStation-AC1300-Gigabit-Wireless/dp/B0084JFLSK

a couple of good reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) on the bridge over at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162066

“excellent” review over at pcmag.com on the bridge

Pretty solid piece… I’d be all over this if I hadn’t just bought an Asus RT-AC66U.

I could really use the wireless bridge.

Only problem with this deal is the power adapters. Looks like they’d cover 4 plugs on your power strip.

8/10 on the router at trustedreviews.com

This is a good deal, BUT, if you have portable house lines in your place, watch out for that frequency. The 2.4 range blows out phone calls and vica versa. Drives tech nuts when they are trying to trouble shoot why your network drops out…especially when they are using your phone with tech support. In a way, it is almost comical…“Um, oh here we go again. Yeah just lost all my connectivity. What? I can’t hear you…”

Reviewed May 2012 over at SmallNetBuilder.com.
"Closing Thoughts

There is both good and bad news for those itching to run out and buy a draft 11ac router. The good is that, when paired with its WLI-H4-D1300 partner, the WZR-D1800H can produce almost 450 Mbps of aggregate throughput when handling multiple clients. Even better, though, its that the pair can produce around 100 Mbps of usable throughput at my weakest signal test point for a single test client!

This is more bandwidth than I’ve ever seen available from any other 5 GHz wireless product and may even be capable of sustaining a trouble-free 1080p HD video stream. The catch, however, are the large and long throughput dropouts that I saw in many of my tests. So unless your HD streaming player has some decent buffering, you may still be out of luck! I will have to give HD streaming a shot in the coming weeks, after I clear out some of my review backlog.

The bad news is that you’ll need to spend almost $400 to run the above experiment. And the more practical bad news is that the WZR-D1800H isn’t a particularly good simultaneous dual-band three-stream N (“N900”) router. If that is what you’re looking for, you may be better off spending about the same price and picking up an ASUS RT-N66U."

Well, except now it will only cost you about 200 bones from woot.

As for the comparison against the RT-N66U, this offers about 2/3 the performance of the Asus. And the Asus goes regularly for $160.

You do realize this is true with any AP, router, or bridge right?

Does anyone know if those routers studded with MIMO antennas sticking out everywhere like a porcupine actually get any better signal than a simple box like this?

Eh. I am having concerns with a Buffalo drive of mine right now, and support hasn’t returned my email in over a week, not can I get through their busy phone lines. So far, not impressed. (This is after they gave me the wrong info about a product, before I purchased it, and acted extremely rude when I wouldn’t give out my home number)

Bought the ASUS N66U about a month ago. Haven’t had a dropped signal or a cold reboot yet. So far it’s the best wireless router I’ve used and I’ve had plenty. Replaced an eight port wireless router Linksys 8-port DIR-632 with the ASUS. I gerry-rigged the Linksys with stronger antennas, located them ten feet away, boosted the signals with powered boosters, and got signals all over the house. The Linksys dropped signals and had to be rebooted about once every two weeks. Replaced the Linksys with the ASUS. The antennas that come with the ASUS were better than my gerry-rigged solutions. So far, so good.

Um, combined speed of over 1Gbps?

Wow, those advertisement guys sure knows how to get people with numbers.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s either 2.4, or 5.8 not both at the same time on the same machine with the same network card.

Maybe if you have a machine with two network card, one connection to each card and then trunking it.

I could be wrong though.

The router is NOT compatible with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware replacements.

Correct, they are dumb.

It is an access point. Meaning more than one client. From the viewpoint of the AP, it is over a Gbps throughput.

I would trust smallnetbuilder’s review and measured testing I linked to above if you want real world performance numbers.

Yeah, it’s an AC setup, but it’s still too expensive. And the 2nd unit is a bridge, which means it won’t pickup any wireless clients (other than the router) in it’s area, only wired.

I bought two Netgear WNR2000 N refurbs for $40 total, setup them up as a base and repeater, and dramatically increased the strength of my network through my 3 floor house, with wireless strength strong everywhere. And you get very respectable throughput through the repeater wired ports too (though not as fast as gigabit).

I realize it’s not exactly eggs-to-eggs comparing the equipment, but for me, a way better choice.

Just sayin’.

Maybe a dumb question but why would I need both?

They are both used to create a remote high speed wired connection, using a wireless link (where it may be difficult to directly attach to a modem or wired router.) For stuff like HD video transfers or some data intensive games.