Buffalo Gigabit DualBand Router & Bridge

Haven’t checked in a month or two but I’m fairly certain that this is still the fastest router that money can buy.

Edit: this router has many advantages over other routers, like the fact that it has a 3x3 antenna. That is 3 wireless receiving and 3 wireless sending channels. You will not find that on any other router. If you have a lot of wireless in your house, this is the best performing router you can get.

For extending to another room… Like for example if you had two areas in your house where there are a lot of devices that need internet, you’ll get better performance using a bridge vs using individual wireless on each device.

That interference will happen with any device. The good thing about this product, 11ac and 5 GHz is it gives you that secondary band that wouldn’t be subject to the same interference.

The bridge allows you to connect up to four wired devices at up to 1.3 Gbps wirelessly. So imagine if you have a home theater setup or a gaming console that is in an less than ideal location, this bridge will allow all of those devices to connect at 11ac rates which is much faster than the devices native’s 11g or 11n speeds.

Both run simultaneously on the router. It is concurrent Dual Band. So you have a 2.4 GHz band that supports 3x3 11n up to 450 Mbps. At the same time there is a 3x3 11ac network running up to 1.3 Gbps. So the total link rate throughput is 1750 Mbps. For wireless clients that don’t support 11ac, they will back fall to 5 GHz 11n up to 450 Mbps. So even in an entire 11n environment, it still provides 450 + 450, or N900 which is very fast.

That is link rate though, wireless devices have a lot of protocol overhead so real transfer performance or data throughput performance is about half, but this is true of all routers using any technology.

Also, it isn’t just 5.8 GHz. It runs at 5.2 GHz as well, so the 5 GHz space is really large which allows it to easily find interference free space.

Also, there have been multiple firmware updates since SmallNetBuilder.com tested this product, so the performance and stability is greatly improved.

This set of products were the world’s first 11ac products, and late last year many new firmware updates were released enhancing performance.

I have 6.0 DECT phones. Isn’t that another frequency, and therefore, not an issue?

Any experience using this with a wired Windows Media Center 7 HTPC and wireless XBOX as an extender?

My experience with my current 802.11n router forced me to wire both ends (HTPC & XBOX). I’m going to put one outside this summer and this would save me the hassle of digging out a trench, laying conduit, and pulling wire.

My Asus AC66U is dead as Elvis after less than a year of operation. Haven’t engaged support yet, but I’m not impressed.

Would appreciate some help with a semi-newbie question: can I run an ethernet cable from my Verizon Actiontec rounter to this Buffalo unit, turn off wifi on the Actiontec, and use the Buffalo as my router? The coverage with the Actiontec is pretty bad - - about half the house. (PS - If I did this, would I still be able to run ethernet connections from my computer and media player to the Actiontec?) Thanks

Yes, you should be able to disable the wireless section through the web interface page and just use the Verizon unit as a modem and wired router.

DD-WRT is indeed available for this router:

Buffalo WZR-D1800H

The bridge device does not appear to have its own thread, though searches through the forums for WLI-H4-D1300 show this exact thread as a match, so somebody is discussing it there.

Elvis isn’t DEAD! What are you thinking!?

Check the pricing on this one before you buy - This price is a little high lowest I have seen today for this is $136.oo

For both units?

Nice info, but if you indeed had a DIR-632, your references to ‘Linksys’ are inaccurate.

As far as I am concerned save your money and buy a Trendnet Router and/or Bridge.

I am running 6 pc’s, two panny dvrs, network storage, dvd vcr combo, and other junk off the one router.

GO TREND!

I’m reading the bridge creates a wireless link to main router to serve wired clients, but does it also act as a repeater so as to serve wireless clients which are out of range of the main router, thus extending the wireless coverage of the main unit?

If yes, can more than one bridge work in conjunction with the main router to extend coverage even further?

Sheesh I don’t know what the bridge does or what 11ac is.

I have a ‘dual band router’ with g and n. Seems ok used with PS3.

Nope, it’s a bridge only, for wired ethernet devices and will not extend your wireless network to other wireless clients (repeater function).

The only “wireless” thing about the bridge is that it “talks” wirelessly to the router, but not to any other wireless devices.

Click here:
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/client-adapters/airstation-ac1300-4-port-gigabit-dual-band-wireless-ethernet-bridge