Take a look at some good Newegg reviews

Check out some additional info on the product page

Excellent reviews from Amazon

Very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at amazon

**Item: **Buffalo MiniStation Extreme 1TB Ext HD
Price: $89.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: New

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Buffalo MiniStation Extreme 1TB Ext HD)

[Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Buffalo MiniStation Extreme 1TB Ext HD)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/30/2013 - $99.99 - 59 comment(s)

Buffalo

I’m buffaloed by the product description.

Any reason why I should choose this over the WD Passport? It’s about $25 cheaper on Amazon right now, and also has USB 3.0. I used to have a smaller WD a few years ago and loved it, and currently have a Seagate which is a bit of a pain, and am looking to upgrade.

1.5 TB external on newegg for the same price. This one is a loser.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178352

EDIT: Same price? I mean $20 cheaper.

[MOD: See Wooter posts below for differences.]

The drive you linked is only usb 2.0, doesn’t have mil-spec shock protection, and is a bigger desk drive that requires a power supply plugged into the wall. Not really a good comparison.

This one is MIL-spec and can survive a tumble. A WD drive alone probably won’t. BTW, I don’t see where you’re finding the 1TB portable drive for $25 less. I’m seeing it about $10 less.

FWIW, a WD drive can be made rugged with the WD Nomad case, but that’s an added expense. Also, WD’s warranty is just for 1 year.

WD makes some of the most reliable drives out there, and I would not hesitate to purchase one over any other comparable drive - especially when cheaper.

On the other hand, a major selling point of this drive is its shock resistance.

Didn’t try to check to see if the cord is removable/replaceable.

Anyone notice that the guy in the video picks the drive up from the floor and THEN puts it near the edge of his desk. Apparently learned nothing. As a child he probably kept burning his hand on the stove top over and over and over…

btw, might be a WD OEM drive inside this Buffalo.

This is a waste of money, people. MIL-SPEC means absolutely nothing because there is no guarantee. There is no magic aura that will protect your data. The only way to protect your data is to back-up or mirror.

$169 MSRP for 1 TB is a joke, regardless of what kind of “fancy” case there is.

Buy two 1 TB internal drives and mirror them. Purchase a separate dock/external case for when you want to travel. When the first one breaks, you have all your data backed up on the second. You’ll still save money and have more options (and more storage).

Can you daisy-chain several of these together? The pictures only look like it has a USB 3.0 port, not an additional standard USB port. I’d like to plug several of these together into my airport to extend my time machine backup capabilities. Thanks in advance!

I found the user guide here, but there is no mention of daisy-chaining. In fact, they don’t even point out that port while labeling the various features.

FYI
“Client OS Support Windows® 8 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows® 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista® (32-bit/64-bit), Windows® XP, Windows Server® 2003 (32-bit), Windows Server® 2003 R2 (32-bit), Windows Server® 2008 (32/64-bit), Windows Server® 2008 R2 (64-bit), Mac OS® X 10.5 - 10.7*”

Where ‘*’ means
*Only basic external hard drive functionality is supported with this operating system; some included utilities may not work. The HDD default format is NTFS; to work with Mac, reformat the HDD using Mac Disk Utility.

An integrated USB cable seems like a bad idea to me. First off it means that if the cable ever fails, you have a serious issue. Second it looks like the cable has a single USB connector on the client side. If a single USB port on your machine doesn’t supply enough power, you are going to have problems. With a detachable cable you could swap in a cable with two client connectors, one for power only and one for both power and data.

The one you listed is USB2.0 instead of USB 3.0. This is a big difference in transfer rate.

The Seagate is also not as portable. The Buffalo is much smaller dimensions and only .51 lbs. The Seagate is larger and heavier.

It’s hard to compare the two of these drives.

If you’re only after capacity and aren’t worried about speed of the drive and disk platters then yes the Seagate is less expensive.