Buffalo MiniStation Extreme 1TB Ext HD

The cable integration is to state it’s a form factor cable. The cable is removable and replaceable.

The USB cable is indeed removable and replaceable. It’s built to be form factor to the unit itself for design and function.

Hello all,
I’m Brian and I work for the manufacturer. I’m here to answer any questions about the product.

It appears many great answers above have addressed the questions thus far.

In addition to MIL-SPEC ruggedness and the integrated cable (which is one of my favorite features as traveling with a ton of cables is annoying), this drive also features a class-leading 3-year warranty with lifetime 24/7 US-based technical support. Majority of lower-cost entry drives from competitors feature a 1-year warranty.

Buffalo has other more cost-effective USB portable HDDs, but the MiniStation Extreme is our top model built with extra features, a longer warranty and higher-quality material/fit and finish.

Feel free to ask any questions,
Regards,
Brian

Just bought a WD for the same money at Amazon last week. Not “mil-spec” but who cares? I don’t recommend dropping any HD from any height, ever. So this is reasonable but not a killer deal. My only complaint is that the cable is special, its the same cable this unit appears to use. It’s not a regular USB to MicroUSB, it’s USB to something very different, and is removable, so with 3 kids I hope to heck I can keep track of that cable! I have 2 other, smaller external drives, both of which use a more common cable format (miniUSB and MicroUSB).

Buffalo?

chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken

chicken

Calve,
The USB cable does use standard connectors on both ends. it does include a 90 degree bend in the cable and a special connector and width to make it fit flush, but if removed, you will see a USB Micro-B connector to which you could plug any cable into, including the cable that came with your WD drive (assuming it’s a USB 3.0 portable).

Regards,
Brian

The port on this drive will take a regular micro-usb cable. It does not look like it but it will plug in the larger half of the port. Of course you won’t get fries with that. (You will only get USB 2 speed) That’s backwards compatibility!

miko1,
Thanks for the additional clarification. I reread your comment and have modified mine. I thought you meant that another cable wouldn’t work, and it had to be our cable. That is not true. However, as you say a USB 2.0 Micro-B could be used in a pinch, but also any USB 3.0 Micro-B can also be used.

A standard USB 3.0 micro-B cable will work with this device and provide USB 3.0 connections and speeds regardless of which cable is used. However, any standard USB 3.0 Micro-B cable from any manufacturer will fit.

I’ve taken my personal MS Extreme apart and shown the included cable (black). You can also see the exposed port of the of MS Extreme and a third party USB 3.0 cable that comes with another USB 3.0 drive (white). Finally, the second picture shows the white cable into the MS Extreme. The Blue LED signals a USB 3.0 connection (it’d be green if USB 2.0).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/112537/MSExtreme/1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/112537/MSExtreme/2.jpg

Thanks for the assistance.

That’s odd. When I posted it, a 3rd party seller had it for $63. They must’ve sold out since then. It’s now Amazon selling it at $79. Still, I have had great success with WD in the past, so I’ll probably go that route. Thanks!

I’ve utilized WD warranty replacement at least 3 times. Once this past year.

Thank you, Brain. Since I don’t have a USB 3.0 Micro-B cable, I wanted to see how it looks. For the curious who are penniless like I am…

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Connector_USB_3_IMGP6033_wp_.jpg

Compare to what we know as a USB Micro B connector now.

Thanks, this is exactly right. This is true of all drives.

If the cable on any USB 3.0 Micro-B equipped drive fails, another cable could be used from any drive, or at worst case, another one could be purchased. This is basically the same exact case for USB 2.0 equipped drives.

I will add maybe what Miko was referring in that a USB 2.0 Micro-B cable could be used in a pinch and be plugged into the right side 5-pins and create a USB 2.0 connection. However, the cable fitment and speed is affected.

Thanks!

What he said… apples to apples comparisons, please. Plus I hear nothing good about the 1.5 TB Seagate HDDs.

Yes, give me a mirrored drive I can throw in my pants pocket. Pointless argument.

I’ve also heard horror stories about the WD portable drives using proprietary interfaces for the internal 2.5 drives. Which makes recovery difficult if the USB interface dies 7 there’s nothing wrong with the HDD. You simply cannot take the drive out & pop it in a SATA HDD dock:

A mirrored drive would pull more than 500ma (USB 2.0) or even 900ma (USB 3.0) so it would also require you to put an AC adapter in your pocket too. :slight_smile:

On a more serious note, Buffalo does sell mirrored RAID-1 HDDs for those who are interested.

Actually there is a USB 3.0 2.5" RAID drive enclosure available on Newegg that could fit in your pocket…

That is correct. WD’s portable drives have the USB onboard, so there’s no option to “pop it out of the case to try recovery on a desktop”.

Can anyone give me a reason not to buy this HD? It looks pretty darn solid.

Really good reviews over at Amazon!