Business Class Computers

HP 6000 Pro Small Form Factor Desktop, Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Dual-Core, 250GB SATA, 4GB DDR3, Win7Pro

I bought 2 of these last time around. The processors were actually Pentium dual core E6300’s at 2.8 GHz as opposed to Core 2 Duo at 1.83 Ghz - aka better. Didn’t matter - I bought (2) Core 2 quad Q9400 processors for $55 each from StarMicro out of Freemont, CA as well as additional memory and these machines get Win 7 built-in experience performance scores of 7.2, 7.2, 4.5, 4.5, 5.9. (on a scale of 1 to 7.9) I did the same thing with 2 of the HP 8000 - They are the same machine with different processors, but all four of mine are rocking quad cores with 14 gigs of memory. These SFF machines are SO EASY to work on. Took 2 minutes flat to change out the processors without having to fight the thing at all. The only drawback I have had is that one of the HP8000’s had the built-in Lojack trace system activated. This is a Bios based program that when activated (for potential future tracking to recover from a theft), is very persistent, coming back no matter what you delete, or even if you flash the Bios or completely change the hard drive and operating system. This would have been activated by the original owner, who, if he/she saved the info and still had a subscription, could potentially track you and Absolute Software could actually brick the machine. If you see rpcnetp.exe running as a service on a machine, you have the lojack tracker communicating with Absolute Software’s servers whenever you are on line and it slowly builds itself into a larger program with severtal different encrypted modules. Absolute Software can turn it off from their end, but they won’t unless you are the original owner. Pproblem is that this process represents a very real security vulnerability because it uses all the best tricks of spyware (on a “legitimate” basis) and hackers can take advantage of the access the service has if they can tap into it or emulate Absolute’s servers. The lojack system and subscription service is geared toward lap-tops and smart-phones, but HP does have a software for activating it on these desktops, and obviously, someone did that on one of the ones I got. I asked Woot to ask Absolute, or the reseller, to turn it off on my affected machine (all they have to do is know the serial number and send a command from their servers), but all Woot could do was offer me an RMA and a label to send it back - after I had upgraded and set it up - Not the best or most efficient option. Long story short, it is possible to disable the functionality and communication and disable the service from running, but it takes some doing.

Woot, are these Factory Reconditioned or 3rd party rebuilds? Several items say that they are Factory Reconditioned but list Advanced Skyline Technology as the warrantee not the manufacturer.

There is a big difference. Factory Reconditioned are usually “almost mint” manufacturer repaired bad out of box systems with a shorter manufacturer warrantee. Reconditioned however can have been used for several years before a 3rd party rebuilt them and have much more wear and tear. And a shorter life expectancy in my experience.

Many computer manufacturers employ a 3rd party company to do the reconditioning to their specifications.

I bought 2 of the 6000’s and then 2 of the 8000’s on a later sellout listing. All of them were clean as a whistle inside and out and show no signs of having been used extensively, if at all. AST is a certified microsoft reseller and the machines you get will not be loaded up with HP bloatware, though all of their bloatware is available from the HP website if you are into that kind of thing. All of these were originally vista machines. You will note there is an old license sticker and a new license sticker for Win 7. I have been building and tooling around with computers for a long time and I really think what you have here are a bunch of vista machines that HP had in inventory after windows 7 and new HP models came out and AST snatched them up to “reburbish” them to be Win 7 machines. The machines I got are new condition, but they are not “HP” machines in the sense of the HP bloat and billboard Apps. You will not have any warranty or support or “help” apps from HP, which is fine by me - they are cheap workhorses. There were one or 2 generic trial bloats added by AST (Bullguard internet security 30 day trial on the 6000’s - goodbye), but really, what you get is a relatively clean intel machine with a fresh, not yet initialized, Windows 7 that finishes setting up once you power up and establish an admin acct. It just happens to have an HP Bios, but that is about it. I would rather have this than HP’s junked up image of windows 7. AST’s win 7 recovery image has its own partition on the hard drive, but you apparently cannot get back up installation media from AST - not sure why. Any matching install media (win 7 pro, home, etc) should be able to be used to reinstall the operating system and the license on the case sticker should activate without any problems. I just set them up the way I want and take a disc image in its pristine state and theoretically would not need to reinstall - ever. Just restore my image to the hard drive, even a new hard drive, and boot up to “my machine”

Actually, took a look last night and they were originally Win7 Pro with an OEM license and the new license sticker is an “OEM refurbish”. Interesting - maybe an install from HP Pro media would activate under the original license. Seems unlikely as the OEM refurbish probably replaced the original on MS Servers, otherwise, why leave the original HP Pro OEM license sticker on the machine?

I don’t disagree BUT even Woot’s description of Factory Reconditioned states “…And the original manufacturer stands behind it with warrantee. It’s as close as new as you can get without technically being “new”” And I agree with that. It is a common and accepted differentiation between refurbished and Factory Reconditioned. If these Factory Reconditioned listed computers do not have a manufacturer warrantee (and many of these appear not to) and/or have not been reconditioned by the specific authorized 3rd party of the specific manufacturer Woot may have a fraudulent situation here especially considering that your product description does not agree with your own description of what Factory Reconditioned means. AST looks like a good company and my be the best reconditioned out there, they might even be better than the manufacturer; but as a consumer I know HP a don’t know AST and that figures into the value I place on products I buy. I don’t mean to be a stickler but I think people deserve to get what they think they are buying. And I thing Woot wants that also.

ElRicardo thanks for the background on AST sounds like they are better than other refurbishers I have bought from!

One correction. HP business class desktops don’t typically have adware or 3rd party junked up images like the consumer stuff you buy form Best Buy or target.

HP Elite 8200 Ultra Small Form Factor Desktop -

The title says Quad Core, but the specs say Dual Core. I’m pretty sure the Core i5-2400S is a quad core processor, but I’d like confirmation.

you are right, it’s a quad core, http://ark.intel.com/products/52208/Intel-Core-i5-2400S-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

It’s quad core. The specs are fixed. Good question.