Butterball XL Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer

Very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at HomeDepot.com

Product Page

I bought one of these. Used it once with a turkey and it was great. The 2nd time - I couldn’t get it to start. Tried everything - nothing worked. So quite expensive for one turkey.

Not that I use it more than 5 or 6 times a year, but I have a slightly smaller version of this this that I use to deep fry anything - chicken/wings, fish, french fries, etc. I use it in my outdoor kitchen so it doesn’t stink up the house. It is excellent! Best thing about it is how easy it is to clean. After the oil is cool and whatever crap in the oil settles to the bottom of the unit, it is really easy to drain the oil back into is container for reuse, and then dispose the oil and crud at the bottom. No need to filter the oil, and the everything (except the element) goes in the dishwasher.

I tried to order an electric turkey through my butcher, and he just stared at me.

He had pen raised turkeys, and free range turkeys, but no electric turkeys.

Who sells electric turkeys? Maybe I should just return this fryer.

Says that it uses less oil. But still we’re talking in terms of gallons ! No thanks. I use a Big Easy SRG and get similar results in a relatively short time with no oil.

This is less than last month…?

Butterball XL Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer
Price: $89.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, Dec 11 to Monday, Dec 14) + transit
Condition: New

I’ve done with a propane for years. Have not sprung for an electric because someone told me it takes to long to reheat after putting cold turkey in the oil.Anyone have experience with that?

The Question my wife will ask when I give it is: How much oil out of the gallons is recoverable? She would be concerned about the amount absorbed onto it. Anyone have any Idea.

I have the Large/Standard version (cooks up to 14lb turkey), reheating between is about 15 minutes tops.

I have been using the large/standard version for 4 years now, experience with about 8 turkeys or turkey breasts, wings once, and French fries once. Oil consumption is near zero, I am confident of that because I store it in 1.75 L jugs and it nearly refills 4 of them exactly when saving it. You can lose a very little if you avoid saving the very last to drain bottom oil with the most debris. Used the same oil for 3 Thanksgivings (6 birds/breasts) with no taste issues; gradually the oil becomes browner; over that time probably added 1/2 to 3/4 quart of new peanut oil to the recovered oil (use of peanut oil is best, and probably influences how little is consumed).

I dream of electric sheep.

I bought the smaller one in fall of 2014 and love it. Still going strong. The smaller one hold up to a 14 pound turkey. I always aim for a 12 pounds. This one goes all the way up to 20 pounds which is pretty nice. After the turkey is dry, putting it in the fryer is painless right on the kitchen counter. It is definitely not designed for outdoor use. I use Costco Mediterranean oil blend which is only $10 a gallon and it fries the turkey perfectly. Cleaning it is pretty easy as well.