CT link above

Winery website
Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

See this wine tasted in the Gary V tasting video

Previous offer:
2/14/11

Can we get some cooperage stats? (new/old)

I like how he lets the oak take the “back seat” in the vintner vm.

I know that Primitivo and Zinfandel are different varietals(but similar, no?) but exactly how are the two different in this wine?

For those who don’t know about “New” Shenandoah Valley, here’s some info from calwineries.com:

Most Shenandoah Valley wineries are small, family owned operations. The wine region’s unfertile soils keep vineyard yields down. Local wines are handcrafted by boutique Shenandoah Valley Wineries.

Because Shenandoah Valley Wine Country is the least elevated AVA in the region, it has the warmest climate. Shenandoah Wineries focus on Zinfandel, because grapes are able to develop high sugar levels to produce full-bodied, spicy wines.

The terrain of Shenandoah Valley Wine Country is made of sandy-loam and granitic soils. In conjunction with warm temperatures, Shenandoah Wineries use these unfertile soils produce red wines with lots of tannins and high alcohol levels.

When gold was discovered in 1848, Shenandoah Valley became a key part of the states’s winemaking history. Vineyards and wineries immediately sprang up to cater to this new market of mainly young, single men. As a legacy to this early vineyard development, some of the oldest Zinfandel vines in the state are grown in Shenandoah Valley Wine Country.

Please :slight_smile:

How does this Zin compare to the OGP Zin that was on woot a few months ago? That Zin was terrific.

edit: And so was the Petite Sirah. And the Barbera.

I wish I knew more about Zin so I could write a decent review, but I really don’t. Truth be told, this was the first Zin I have evered stumbled upon on wine.woot (I’m a newbie when it comes to wine, just now feeling out my personal tastes, but I have wooted alot this year (something to the tune of 30 woots)).

I can say, however, CG Di Arie has been in my top 3 of all Woots wooted. I’m not going to say it’s my favorite bottle of wine from here, but it’s right up there-- given the price and quality.

I had all 3 of the CG Di Arie varietals when it was offered on Valentines day, and the Zin was, by far, the best of the 3. All were good, but this was GREAT. It just… pops. Punches you in the face and you just know it’s a great wine and you will enjoy it til the end.

I’ve been hoping this would show up again. I’m in for 2, without hesitation. Budget and frugality be damned-- this stuff is GREAT!

How did you come to develop Captain Crunch cereal(inspiration, flavors)? And did this in any way influence your wine making?

For the record, this isn’t the same Zin that was offered back in February. I agree that was a great Zin.

Yeah that’s interesting. I sure hope not! I have not heard of this winery … though it seems to have some nice reviews. However in the writing of the vintner’s bio, I would not have gone on about how he “created” many so-called foods, all of which are highly processed. This kind of information does not inspire confidence in a wine, imho, which I hope is created without xanthan gum, mono- and di-glycerides or maltodextrin.
That being said, I hope to read more good reviews of the current offering.

True, true-- it appears my excitement overcame me; but I really enjoyed all the wines that came from that offering. Perhaps I gushed too much (It really was very good) but I have a lot of faith in this particular wine, given all 3 of the last offering were so tasty.

Don’t you enjoy a good xanthan gum finish in a glass of red? :wink:

That’s Gary V A Y - N E R - C H U K !!!

Gary’s cereal/wine pairing video is a classic, love that guy!

You can certainly tell that Mr. Gur-Arieh’s passion in life is wine making from the video, he really lights up when speaking about starting his winery.

What’s the drinking age on these?

Very interested in these, especially after my 4-pack of Sola Winery Napa Valley Zinfandel cooked on it’s way from Napa to New Jersey and back to NorCal during the blazing hot summer (I thought it shipped directly from the winery!). Now I’m low on Zin!

sounds yummy

Can’t resist. The last CGDA offering was one of the best wine.woot surprises of the year. I will happily report on the quality of this stuff within 12 hours of when it shows up, because I’m not waiting a single moment more to drink one!

[QUOTE=bsevern, post:15, topic:322111]
What’s the drinking age on these?

I believe it is 21 in all states.

I shouldn’t have read the write up while eating breakfast.

I normally use 20% new oak, 20% one year old, 20% 2 years old, etc. In this vintage the new oak was mainly French, with a barrel or two of American oak. I racked this wine every three months and after having racked it three times transferred it to neutral oak.