$49.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: Red
Products:
1 2006 Calcareous Zinfandel
1 2006 Calcareous Syrah
1 2006 Calcareous Cabernet Sauvignon
CT links above

Winery website

TIWBM still in effect, but I’m discouraged by the increase in offerings that won’t ship to Vermont. Used to be maybe 1 in 20 offerings wouldn’t, but now it seems closer to 1 in 4 or 5. We may be the per capita microbrew capital of the US, but we likes our wines, too!

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create a thread now!

No TN either. Sad.

$34 each at the winery before shipping, so at 49.99 plus shipping this is a very good deal going by those prices. Has anyone had this that could comment on the quality?

Edit: Tempted to be in for 3.

Please labrat me! It would be my first :open_mouth:

This is the people that brought us the TLC Chard and Cab/Shiraz blend, right?

Wow a little heavy on the alcohol.

Cheers!

For all those new to “Labrat” and/or “rattery” ……

Cheron98 has kindly put all information about the Labrat program at the beginning of the Labrat Thread (where she kindly and graciously cross-posts all the labrat posts into one convenient place).

She has the rules of “rattery” there, as well as a listing of the labrats and offers from June 2 of 2008.

Only the Monday offer will have labrats. Offers later in the week will not.

In essence, once you sign up for the labrat program, you are eligible to receive an additional bottle from the current offer (via FedEx overnight) if:

a) You must be 21.
b) Sign up for the labrat program (a page that you can go to and fill out a form).
c) You purchase the new Sunday/Monday offer before the deadline (usually 10 am CT, Monday).

There are no set guidelines other than doing your best to present your opinions about the labrat bottle in a timely manner (since there may be some people on the fence about the current offer, and are waiting for your opinions). You can be as creative (or not) as you want. Read thru some of the previous labrats to get an idea. There are a lot of humorous reports, as well as serious ones.

Some have used the UC Davis Wine Scoring System and others have used the Parker 100 point system. Others have just used “It’s Good!”. There is no right or wrong way to report.

For a quick overview of the majority of wine scoring systems, the DeLong Wine Ratings Review is available as a PDF.

DeLong Wine has been on Wine.Woot before with their Varietal Chart and Tasting Books, and sponsors The Century Club for those who have tasted over 100 different varietals (and we have several Wine.Wooters as members, with others on the verge). Check out Century Club thread in the World of Woot Wine for more info. And they’ve added a “Doppel Member” status for those who have tasted over 200 different varietals. They are supposed to have a new form (Word and Excel) in May to help with the 200.

I’m in need of an acronym update. I know SIWBM (I’m on my fourth one right now), and I have a SWMBO (but my SWMBO and SIWBM are not connected). But I’m not sure of the “T” in TIWBM. Is it a temporarily imposed wine buying moratorium?

Yeah, I was intrigued on the varietals, but these sound like beasts.

Does the high alcohol content have a big effect on the way these drink? Alcohol levels this high are common in Zinfandel, but not so much for the Cabernet and Syrah.

Hmm… seems a little high on the alcohol %… though I’m not so sure since I’m pretty new to wine…

But seems like a too good of an offer to pass it!

In for 1

What kind of flavours does the algae component impart to these wines?

Though this is their Paso Robles wines, not aussie imports, last time they were here we discovered that Calcareous as winemakers are not into overripe.

It’s a TWIN Imposed Wine Buying Moratorium. Two beautiful girls (obviously taking after their mother) who are almost 12 months old!!! Time flies.

Unfortunately for WD’s daughters’ college fund, I’m on a AWLFWBM.

All Wine Lockers Full …

This may be a bit off topic, but I’m hoping one of the many knowledgeable wine connoisseurs who populate this forum can answer a question for me.

For the last year or so (in addition to buying wine from Woot), I have purchased a few bottles at a time from a liquor store in Florida, which were shipped directly to me in my home state of Texas. However, after placing my most recent order a few days ago, I received an email from them today which said “Sorry, we cannot ship into TEXAS anymore, your state changed the shipping laws 3 weeks ago. I will go ahead and close this order.”

Huh?

I haven’t been able to reach the retailer due to the holiday weekend; can anyone tell me what might have changed? I am aware of something called “H.R.5034” that has been brewing (no pun intended) in Congress which might affect interstate wine shipments, but I didn’t think that had passed yet and can’t find any current info about it. Plus the guy said “YOUR STATE” changed the laws, which seems like he’s citing something that happened in Texas and not at the national level.

I see that Woot still has Texas on the “ship-to” list, but I’m not sure if that’s because they’re located in-state or not. The WINE is coming from California, so that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

If anybody can explain what might be going on here, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

http://www.thevinofile.net/2010/04/twisted-sisters-of-calcareous.html

Looks like this guy tasted all the wines in this woot, some good reviews overall. Looks like the Syrah is very nice.

Labrat here. In for two and at home all this week, able to sign for the Golden Ticket. Quick analysis guaranteed.

Not necessarily: found a good link aboutalcohol ph and and ripeness. Doesn’t answer specifically about these wines, but may help us understand a little more what to discover from the winemaker. Fits with what I’ve been learning via gcdyersb and rpm’s posts.