Cameras & Accessories

Great photos! Thank you for sharing. Can you share what 4 lenses you carry around? Thanks!

Trying to figure out which Q is being sold - this is the one from two generations back, right?

So it’s the model that was replaced by the Q10, which was in turn replaced by the large-sensor Q7? Is this correct?

Wow - Absolutely beautiful photos!

Does anyone know if the lens on the Pentax 1277212 X-5 can be removed and if it’s interchangeable with other Pentax lenses?

I own a Nikon V1 & a Pentax Q, and for the record, I’d spring for the extra $50 and get the J1. You can get an adapter for the J1 and use full size Nikon lenses. I use a 35mm prime on the V1 and get phenomenal pics in low light. The Q is okay, but feels (and acts) more like a toy camera. If you want to get the Pentax-01 Standard Prime lens be prepared to shell out $176 @ Amazon… for a lens that seems to be only available overseas.

Ah, I see how that could be a problem. Some ILCs are very much like DSLRs functionally (Olympus OM models, or their E-M10 for instance), but others are quite a bit different, like the Nikon and Pentax models listed here.

A class targeted at DSLRs would be easier to teach, since a lot of stuff on DSLRs is very standardized from one brand to another.

Definitely hard to to tell… looks like it’s from late 2012. This Newegg video is dated November 2012, and cites the specific model number.

I think the Q’s biggest enemy (and the reason why Woot has so many) was the absolutely ludicrous price Pentax tried to charge when it was new.

What’s really eye-opening is that we are (about) 15 years into digital cameras. Remember what film photography was like when it was 15 years old?? Think Matthew Brady in the Civil War!

I can’t imaging what it will be like in another 10 years. Already, Nikon has a pro ($6,000) DSLR body with an ISO above 400,000! That’s how many times faster than old Tri-X ISI 400 film?

Aaaaand I missed the MX-1… AGAIN.

Do they just have, like, three of them to convince people they offer screaming deals, leaving people to buy the slightly inferior other options?

Sigh. Double sigh. Of course, I need another camera like I need a square tire, so perhaps it’s saving me from myself.

You mean the fixed-lens, fixed-focal length, full-frame camera that normally sells for around $2500? I’d love one as much as the next photography buff, but that’s definitely an extremely niche camera. More realistically, I’d like to see Woot offer the first-gen RX100.

Why Sony decided to release a revision so soon after the first one came out I have no idea… makes no sense to spend $650 on the first-gen model when the second-gen is only $50 more. If you’re already spending that kind of money, why settle for the old model? Weird decision on Sony’s part, but still an incredible camera.

Great shots and also a very expressive tabby cat!

If you get a k to q adapter, make sure you get one with an aperture ring. You probably won’t need to use it with your m50 lens, but if you have any other automatic pentax lenses that don’t have an aperture ring, this will let you stop the lens down for greater sharpness. A lens that I’ve found to be really good and is cheap is the Pentax DAL55-300 - for less than 200 bux, you can have a equivelent 1500mm!! Just make sure to do the firmware updates on the Q so the image stabilization will work with the adapted lenses.

The original Q and the Q10 are pretty much the same except the build quality of the Q was much higher since it has a magnesium shell vs plastic on the q10. The q10 was brought out to lower the pricepoint of the Q.

The item sold here is the original Q. Which I’ve dropped. Then kicked. Then stood in horror. Then cried with happiness when everything was just fine. Ok, I didn’t cry, but I was pretty dang happy.

It can not.

I use the 02 zoom (the one that comes with this deal - its a 28mm-70mm), the 06 (80mm-250mm, the 01 prime (50mm f1.9) and it used to be the fisheye 03 lens, but now I’m bringing the 08 lens as my fourth.

My favorite? Probably the 06. The thing that I like about the Q is that it’s so small and easy to hold and use one handed (unlike the Nikon V1 I have), nobody notices I’m taking photos so I can get great candids from somewhat far away. I also use it a lot for flower shots if I want the background to be blurry but the flower to be sharp. And since it’s an f2.8 lens, it works awesome for concerts. And since this thing is so small, I hardly have any problems with bringing this camera in whereas my dslr - fuhgetaboutit.

But the close second favorite lens is the 02 - picture quality wise, it’s very good and it’s tiny. It’s a great walk around range.

Actually the Pentax Q is very DSLR like - it does have an auto mode but it also has S, T, A, TAV, M, Bulb, modes just like a dslr. it has a exposure compensation mode. It has iso, flash, drive and WB buttons. It even has a dial up front where you can make custom modes for cross processing, tone expansion, sepia, and even custom black and white modes where you can assign what color filter (blue red green etc) and what level of contrast you want the image to have. It has a hot shoe so if I want it to trigger flashes either on or off camera, no problem. Honestly, this thing is super easy to use and that’s why I use it.

I’ve gone through 4 point and shoots and one MILC that just didn’t give me the level of control that I’ve grown used to on my DSLR - the Q fits the bill beautifully for my compact kit.

Yes, I can and do use it like a point and shoot at times. But when I see a shot that I have to have, I have all the control (including exposure bracketing) I need to get the shot. And if I need a different lens to create a different look, I have that option.

vagrant10: Thanks for taking the time to answer Wooter questions. We really appreciate it.

Jordy is my neighbor’s cat, but he likes to hang out. He’s super nice and talks a lot - so it’s fun to take photos of him. I love his eyes - you’re right, they are very expressive. Thanks much!

I benefit tons in discussions where I don’t know much so it’s nice to be able to help out!

Don’t get me wrong, at that price it’s a great deal, especially when you consider what they were trying to sell it for originally ($800!). If I didn’t already have a pair of Nikon DSLRs (D40 and D5100) I’d be very tempted.