Cameron Hughes 2008 Flying Winemaker Margaret River Chardonnay - 6 Pack

I don’t understand why WOOT stopped shipping to NJ or PA or DE. What’s worse is Cameron ships me wine all the time here to NJ. A case of Lots 171, 185 & 193 arrived last night. If Cameron can ship to me, why can’t Woot ship the same wine to me? I’m living in a bizarre world!
Drexel

Thanks. Can you tell me TA and Brix on this?

NJ changed their wine shipping laws. Don’t blame woot. Blame the dirtbags you voted for.

Cameron,
We have your Lot 153 2008 Santa Barbara County Chardonnay locally.
How would you contrast/compare it with today’s offering?
Thanks!

In for one, but unfortunately not available to rat tomorrow’s offering.

LOL, Your wedding is made possible via w00t? will there be a tasting there? :slight_smile:

wait… i thought thursdays are non wine items? so confused…

Brix probably 24-25 and not sure on TA as I am on the road andcwod have to contact winery for that

Less tropical fruit profile, more stone and citrus fruit and less Mali so less caramel/butterscoth notes, in fact none

yes, i’ll have a great wine selection made possible by wine.woot. i’ve also purchased a small quantity (6 + 8 bottles) from a competitor, but the large majority of the wine at my wedding will be from here. I just need a case of pinot grigio and I’ll be set.

So, based on the notes and posts, it’s citrusy/peachy, dry and not oakey or buttery (and therefore hopefully not too acidic - and Cameron did address that). 13% alcohol - not hot either.

Sounds tasty for my palate - I like a little buttery taste or none at all (except with lobster - then a butterbomb goes obscenely well).

Of course, some folks like those high malo chards (I have a friend who drinks little else).

Circumstances :wink: forbid my purchasing this, but I think we’ve got a pretty good picture considering we have few Wooters’ notes and only one review on CT (there’s one on Snooth, but I’m not sure it’s the same vintage).

SmilingBoognish - are you sure the one you’ve tried is the Margaret River? You mentioned tropical fruits, and there is also a Flying Winemaker Chardonnay Santa Barbara 2008.

Cameron, what’s the drinking window look like on this? Do you have a 2009 release coming out early next year?

I just realized the bottle I thought I had of this was actually your Flying Winemaker Santa Barbara Chardonnay. Didn’t realize you had two Chardonnays on the Flying Winemaker label, so I think I’m going to go in for one of these Woots.

We drank a few bottles of their Gewurtz juice while my wife was pregnant. It’s so sweet that we started cutting it with sparkling water.

I’ll double check next time I’m in Jolly King, but I seem to remember that it was Australian and I got some pineapple flavors from the wine. However, I am not positive - it could have been the Santa Barbara stuff.

I am a Margaret River fan myself. The region location and climate bring about some very elegant well structured age worthy wines. Some exceptional Chardonnay is produced there. A primary example is Leeuwin Estate which is consistently regarded as the best Chardonnay in Australia. Albeit 10x the price of these, it is an excellent example of the high quality Chardonnay that can be produced in Margaret River.

So where exactly is this in Australia? Anywhere near Adelaide, where a rare rainstorm nearly prevented England from whopping the Aussies at cricket. By an innings!

Is this one of his mysterious “back of a lorry” wines, actually from a famous winemaker like the one you mention?

like Cali, Australia’s known for having rubbish Chards as it’s generally too hot.

Sounds like wonderful fresh Chard, nice and clean! Will it be too acidic even, perhaps malic? Anyway, how on earth did you persuade the Aussies to do that? And… how long can you keep this 2008, and [how] will its flavour change during its lifetime? Being cheap, is it an early-drinker?

The Margaret River lies in the South Western end of the Western Australia region. Off the Indian Ocean which a big influence on the temperate climate. Adelaide is to the South East nearer to the Limestone Coast. The hotter climates such as Barossa, although not far from Adelaide, is very different from both the Margaret River and Adelaide Hills. Chardonnay does well in both regions due to the cooler climates.

is wine woot EVER going to put up some Riesling??

It’s been up before. I can think of twice in recent memory. Scott Harvey’s three-pack and the magical riesling with acid levels that increase without addition of acid.