Canihan Family Cellars Sonoma Syrah (2)

I wondered a little, but yes, there are Syrahs that expensive. Ever hear of Sine Qua Non …

2006 Sine Qua Non Raven Syrah – $465.00
2007 Sine Qua Non Labels Syrah – $500.00 (on the site I found, $300 on Wine.com)
2008 Cayuse Amanda Vineyard Syrah – $300.00
2008 Cayuse En Cerise Vineyard Syrah – $385.00
2010 Saxum Paderwski Vineyard – $310.00
2002 Lewis Cellars Cuvee L Napa Valley Syrah ($175)

Worth its weight in gold? / Why some people happily pay $500 for a bottle of wine

Edit: 2007 Sine Qua Non Dangerous Birds Syrah – $525.00

And that was the cheapest for it!

Penfolds Grange currently releases at about $600.

You want to buy one set and split it?

Rather an odd question, since he mentioned SQN in his post.

That’s a good call. And the SQNs Sparky mentioned are all secondary market so they wouldn’t be in the same price category as cited since that wasn’t the release price.

Perhaps I should be more specific. What Syrah(s) that retail(s) at $500 that are submitted for competition (and not magazine scoring) did this wine beat? What wines under $500 but over $150 did this beat?

Kyle. I actually think that you and tytiger would probably like this wine and that you two would also be apt to let it breathe enough. You should goad him into getting a set and then opening one with you! :stuck_out_tongue: Buy wine vicariously through your nearby woot bretheren!

Actually I’ll one up that. If you or Tytiger buys a set and do not like the first, I will buy or trade the other from you at whatever the woot total cost for a bottle is.

Thank you for your comments.
While the label is 14k gold, and the glass is from Saver Glass in France (pricey) the added expense of label & glass is less than $3/bottle as compared to lesser quality glass (with obvious flaws)and a paper label. The farming costs are the expensive ingredient, exceeding $10/bottle. Farming costs are high due to the costs of dry-farming (1/4th the yield) and being certified organic, which requires additional labor, such as weed removal by shovel rather than the use of sprays.

Thank you,

How much is the certification fee to be able to legally say that you’re “certified organic”? One-time or yearly payment?

Thank you for your message.
In 2011 the Vintners Club (www.vintnersclub.org) held Tasting # 1497 where the 2007 vintage Exuberance ranked higher than the Shafer Vineyards, Relentless ($70), the M. Chapoutier, Ermitage “Le Pavillon” Northern Rhone ($163), and the Chateau de Beaucastel, Homage a Jacques Perrin, Grande Cuvee, Chateauneuf-du-Pape($502).
One year earlier,(Tasting # 1489) the Exuberance Syrah
out-rated Stephan Vineyards, L’Aventure Cote-a-Cote Estate, Paso Robles ($93), Chateau de Beaucastel, Chateauneuf-du-Pape ($82), Colgin Cellars, IX Estate Syrah ($192), and Shafer Relentless ($66). Granted, this was a tasting of 2007 vintage Syrah & Rhone Blends; however, we’ve not submitted the two recent vintages to the Vintners Club (because being a 1-person winery is super busy). Thank you!

Noticed that AFTER I posted. :tongue:

Sheesh! Don’t you have a classroom of chillen to corrupt? :wink:

Phew, you left my name off that one! This sounds like an interesting wine, to be sure, and I’m hoping tytiger has some left that I can sample tonight.

The California Certified Organic Farmer’s Certificate is based on tonnage, and since ours is relatively low (less than 20 tons annually grown on 14 acres) the cost for the annual audit and certificate approximates $600. The State of CA Dept of Food & Agriculture charges an additional $300-$400 annually.
While these fees are reasonable, the added costs of not using commercial, non-organic products in the vineyard results in labor costs approximately twice that of conventionally-farmed vineyards. Thank you,

I’ve had the '05, '06 and '07 and while they were solid, especially with an hour or so of air, I can’t say I was blown away. At $30+ per bottle, this has to be a pass for me. I’m not saying it’s not a well-made product, it’s just that I like a bit more there there for 30 bucks.

That was my intention but I left the bottle in my fridge last night and I think my daughter and her boyfriend loved it because the bottle was drained this morning :frowning:

Well done and thanks for the specifics. I find it odd that they put yours, a 100% Syrah up against a CdP, at least 51% Grenache, but still well done.

Thanks for another very detailed answer. Out of curiosity, why spend the $1k? Why not just do your thing and save the $$?

Typically Saturdays between 11 am & 4pm are best, and Tues-Fri between 11am & 1pm, but yes, I’m usually conduction the tours & tastings which typically consist of two Pinot Noirs & two Syrahs and occasionally a Cab Franc, Rose or Viognier. For a reservation, please email bill@canihanwines.com Thank you!

It’s really not so much about the cost of organic certification (less than 1/2% of our annual fixed operating costs) but rather more about doing what’s best for the environment and avoiding pesticides in our food (and wine). The rain run-off from our vineyard flows into SF Bay.
I’m just trying to minimize the effects on our neighbors & larger environment.

I agree that it’s a bit odd for a 100% Syrah to be tasted alongside a CNdP, but I think their goal was to compare & contrast Rhones vs. California, and clearly the California wines were preferred in the blind tasting.