Canon DSLR & Lenses

Good price on the lenses. They are just kit lenses, but I still rock mine and use it professionally every week (18-135 IS).

Skip on the “non-i” cameras though. (as in T5 vs T5i) If you do comparisons, you will want the ones with the “i” after it.

If you’re spending that much already on a camera, spend a little more and get the one with the better options and be done with it.

I love my Canon.
I use a T4i

Can you explain a bit more?

Costco has the camera, a memory card, a bag and the $109 lens for $449 right now. You don’t have to be a Costco member.

Buy all three, get no training and shoot a wedding: the complete fauxtography package!

Same price at Amazon also.

Comparison between the two bodies:

I have the 75-300 lens, and it has some significant shortcomings. Focus frequently misses beyond 200mm, chromatic abbreviation is significant in the images, and the focus motor is loud, slow, and rotates the external element. This will be annoying with graduated or polarizing filters. Also no image stabilization.

I do not own the 55-250 lens, but I hear good things about it. The focus motor is much better and doesn’t miss as often. The image quality is also much better. The only downside for this lens is that it’s APSC cameras only, so it won’t work on your Canon 6D, 5D, or 1D. But if you have one of those, chances are you’re not reading this anyway.

The T5 + the 22-250mm lens would be a great start kit for distant landscape, wildlife, etc.

Do these come with the Canon USA 1-year warranty?

They do. You can see the warranty information towards the bottom of the features listing.

Regardless of what the previous poster said, these are not pro lenses and should never be perceived as such. They are soft and slow. A short step from an iPhone.

To add something constructive: You will get far more value out of Cannon’s new “nifty fifty” for under $200 than any of these.

A nifty fifty should be the first lens someone buys when they get a DSLR. Having said that, I bought the 55-250 lens a couple months ago for my t5i and it is a wonderful lens for the price. No, it is not L glass and you should not be using it professionally unless you are charging next to nothing and disclosing that you are using hobbyist level equipment rather than professional. It is FAR more versatile than an iPhone, albeit much bulkier. :wink:

Google “Canon T5 vs T5i” and you will probably see about 4-5 different comparison sites for cameras and electronics that will show you these differences.

Don’t confuse expensive cameras for quality end results.

All things considered, yes the exact same shot will be better quality with higher end cameras and lenses, but not everyone can fork out $1000’s on full frame cameras and L glass.

Knowing how to use your cameras, understanding all the basics and learning the ins and outs of post processing go a long way.

Once you can afford more expensive glass and camera bodies, all the knowledge you gained from earlier cameras will instantly be usable.

Don’t forget that on a canon crop camera, its a 1.6x multiplier… which makes that 50mm really 80mm. For me that’s way too magnified.

There’s a couple lenses in the 30-40mm range that would put you closer to the magical 50mm.

That said, you can find the Nifty Fifty left and right on CraigsList for $100 or less. It’s on my list of lenses to add to my arsenal.

I shoot more landscapes than people so I kind of went the opposite way with a Tokina 11-16. You can get some ridiculously wide angle shots with this lens with very little distortion (not a fish eye). This one is my bread and butter lens.

I do laugh at the multiple commenters here bashing these as non professional level cameras. I’ve been shooting for years on “non professional” lenses and camera bodies and producing better quality output than people that charge multiple times more. Don’t ever mistake your expensive gear for quality output.

Yup, which is why I said this could make a great starter kit.

While it is true that people should spend more on the lens and perhaps not just buy the top-line body and a cheaper lens, these are not as bad as indicated.

http://www.jenniferlynnamie.com/how-to-avoid-the-fauxtographer/

On my crop sensor camera I’ve really started liking Canon’s EF-s 24mm 2.8. Not quite the low-light awesomeness and DOF of the nifty-fifty, but much easier when shooting inside or trying to get a bit closer
Imgur

As just a hobbyist (pretty much just shooting photos of family) I’d love to be able to put down some big money on a high-end body and lenses, but the $125 I paid for that lens is about my max :slight_smile: And I do still have and use my 50mm lens too, just not as often since I got the 24mm.

As a camera-loving woman I knew once said, "The camera body is just a BOX. Put your money into the lens!

If the fancy body has features you do not need, a lesser body will still capture the image the same way.