Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens

I hate to say this, but Woot’s price on this item in no way represents a good deal. In fact, the very same lens is available elsewhere (including Amazon, where it is currently $99, with free shipping) at lower prices.

UPDATE: I believe I stand corrected. See Woot’s comment below.

I think you’re looking at a different lens. Here it is on Amazon for $125.

Wow, a whopping ten bucks less than Amazon. Only five bucks to ship. Now a five buck savings.

Not to mention, with Prime, I can have the lens in my hands today and return it if I don’t like it, no questions asked. That’s worth the extra $5.

Heck with Prime Now I can have it in my hands within the hour!!

That’s taking the short view :frowning:

Buy 3 lens, spend $344.97 + $5 to ship ALL THREE. Now your looking at a windfall of $28.

Throw it on the bed and roll around in CA$H
:slight_smile: GOLDEN :slight_smile:

Good fixed focal length lens with minimal noise for taking videos, the lens comes with good street cred. Lightweight and compact, it handles lower light subjects and portraits (equivilent of 75mm for APS size imagers. compared to full frame 35mm imagers). Most new users with the standard kit zoom lens - who make their video viewers sea sick from lots of zoom shots, or those shooting at a firelite backyard party at ISO 1600 - will be pleased with adding this to their stable and getting better results. But this is also not a true “pro” lens either.

So is this a deal? Depends on your point of view, but you’d be likely to get a similar deal on price or with additional accessories (filter and hood) from a photo discount house, or Amazon if you are willing to wait and watch. Is it a bad deal then? No, paying slightly less for anything you need now makes it a better deal.

So, Woot wins this deal matchup by going the distance and getting a 3-2 decision by the judges. Thankful, I watched it on “Pay per View” and bought my PBR beer at the warehouse club.

I’m not going to comment on if this is a deal or not (sounds like it’s close), but I can say that this lens will give you the most bang for your buck. If you bought a Canon SLR that came in a kit with a couple of zoom lenses it’s mandatory that you buy this lens.

Unfortunately the kit lenses give you photos that look like they’re from a point and shoot most of the time, especially if you leave your camera in green mode. When you’re ready to learn about all that your camera has to offer buy this lens and google a tutorial on how to get the most out of your camera (aperture, shutter speed, iso, and how they all interact). This is the cheapest lens that Canon sells, and it also offers a very shallow depth of field (easy to get blurry backgrounds) when you open it up to f1.8.

Bottom line is that this needs to be standard in the big box retailer camera and lens combo kit. It’s a fantastic lens for the price.

great lens, not so great deal. I love my nifty fifty. I went with the 1.4