Canon EOS Rebel Digital SLR

If it’s an EF lens then it can be used without a problem. However other lenses (say one with a M42 mount) can often be used with an adapter (depending on the distance from the mirror) but you will not have autofocus.

I use my Canon (5D MKII not this camera) for video all the time with old lenses but that tends to be better for video that pictures. However if you know what you’r doing it’s not an issue. After all a good deal of lenses back in day were manual focus.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Canon-T3i

You can compare specs on most popular cameras.
Very good entry level camera.

Also, if you’re serious about getting into photography. Look into the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Great lens for under $120.

The T3i shoots video, the T3 does not.

That was it. His was an FD mount. Thanks for triggering my memory.

T3 does shoot video, just 720p while the T3i shoots full 1080

One of the neat features of Canon SLRs is the diopter adjustment.

I wear glasses, but I can take them off and get my eye right up to the viewfinder of my camera, which gives me a much better view of what the lens is seeing.

Edit: the diopter adjustment is like having a built-in adjustable glasses lens.

One thing none of Canon’s cameras have any more, and apparently only had on my last film camera, was the ability to select the active focus point by looking at it. With this camera and others you can fairly easily select a focus point manually, but it was both cool and useful to be able to set one by looking at it.

Not true, I have the T3 and it shoots video. Can’t change very many settings but it does do video.

I’ve had this camera for a year and I’ve made money with it. It’s a lower end model than the t3i but it’s a great starter dslr.

One thing you should know is that it doesn’t have “self-clean” which just costs more money to buy the cleaning tools just for some annoying dirt. It’s also not weather sealed and the zoom lenses that come with it lauch dirt all over the lens if you are outdoors.

The noise levels on higher iso’s are awful… so don’t expect to not use a flash with this in low light. Unless you don’t mind noisy pictures. iso 100 is fine for the above point and shoot user.

Auto focus is a joke and unreliable in auto modes. I’ve never ever tried using auto focus since the first day I got it, and I use it with a 17-55mm EF-S 2.8 USM IS lens. (best walk around lens you can buy for aps-c)

You can use ANY EF-S (aps-c) or EF (full frame) lens with these, but the EF lenses will actually become 1.6x more than the actual mm. So, like I have the 50mm 1.4f lens, it’s actually 80mm… and I recommend at least the 50mm 1.8 II lens which is only 100$ or so on amazon, it isn’t a zoom, but that lens is AMAZING (for the price)! The 18-55 it comes with is awful and only sharp at f11 and above, which is terrible. Everything is soft and it gathers dust so fast it’s annoying.

Other than the dust issues, and the no selfclean, this is a great starter or for the casual. If you were serious about photography though and you wanted something cheap I’d go with the 60d or the t4i or even the 7d which is one of, if not the best aps-c sensor camera’s you can get. Just depends on what you’re looking for.

For the casual user this camera will stomp any point and shoot out there.

So you have to buy a lens separately just to use this camera? I have absolutely NO knowledge with anything other than point and shoot. However I was at a concert tonight and the people next to me were taking amazing photos while my iphone and sony point and shoot were pathetic.

I think a T3i kit would cost about $150 - $200 more than this deal. But, these are the major differences to me:

1. Swivel LCD vs. fixed. This is useful for photos like: self-portraits, tight spaces, stuff on the ground, etc.

2. 3.7 FPS vs. 3.0(JPG)/2.0(RAW) shooting speeds. This is useful for photos like: kids, sports, etc.

3. 18 Megapixels vs. 12.2. This is useful if you plan to print large photos or crop them in post-processing.

Overall, this is seems like a great price on a solid entry DSLR. You can get amazing shots with this bundle as-is. Unless you are already a seasoned digital photographer, I don’t think you’ll be missing anything the other cameras have. When it comes down to it, lighting and lenses are much more important that tech specs on your camera body. My advice would be:

1. Get this deal
  2. Pick up an old speedlite flash off craigslist/ebay that can do “bounce flash” for around $75
  3. Save your money for a good lens (L-Series?) to fit your shooting style.

actually, a great lens for the CMOS cameras is the 17-40 f/4 or the 16-35 f/2.8. As for telephoto, I’m more of a prime lens user so I have the 100 2.8 L and the 85 1.8. those on a crop sensor will be plenty good and they are SOLID lenses.

lol well DSLR is a huge step up from point and shoots. There is a lot to learn… however this is a starter kit, and comes with a zoom lens, so you don’t have to buy anything. As you get more into it, you’ll realize the lens isn’t sharp, and doesn’t perform in low light. Which is why anybody would recommend the 50mm 1.8f lens for 100$… this is a great kit for someone starting out. Has a zoom lens, and has simple buttons and menus. It takes a few weeks to get the hang of manual modes, but it has auto modes for those who don’t know.

If you are just starting out, and you want better images than point and shoots… then this is the way to go.

Agreed, it is a great beginner DSLR. We basically use it as our traveling camera because it captures great images, but you won’t be devastated if it gets broken or stolen.

You will LOVE the difference between your point n shoot or camera phone and the T3! Worth the investment.

If you want a really detailed review of this camera, known in Europe as the EOS 1100D, check out this:

That’s the conclusion page of a 19-page review from April 2011, complete with sample images and videos, and more detail than I’ve been able to absorb. It is written by someone who understands the rest of Canon’s line of cameras, so comparisons are provided. I don’t know yet if I’ll order one but I thought I should mention that review site.

Check out Hoodman, great eye cup for people that wear glasses. Blocks out the stray light if you want to keep your glasses on. Although kind of a pain for vertical shots.
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1071

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Canon-T3i

Sorry, last thing I can do tonight:
previous woot
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5142257

bye

reply to cjbennett4

yes, you would need at least one and then about ten because lens lust sets in and it doesn’t let go and then a new lens comes out…camera bodies are the free goldfish, lenses are the bowl.
That being said, this is a good deal and you will be much happier with the quality of your pictures over a point and shoot. Of course, you’ll then need a retina MacBook pro because you have all these wonderful pictures…

This camera is so tempting and reading through the posts it’s brought out the best in the Woot community,lots of great information on the product.

Several companies (Canon included) make adaptors for old SLR lens with new DSLR’s. You will loose any autofocus or vibration reduction features. Just manual modes function. Adapters cost less than $100.

the T3i has a articulated (multi position)screen (very cool) while the T3 does not