Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR

I use this camera at work and it takes great shots as any other DSLR does. It will blow any point-and-shoot out of the water in terms of picture quality. However, the auto-focus takes an incredibly long time to focus on small or near objects. Point and shoots have their purpose and it is pretty well described by their name :slight_smile:

I second that!

Good camera, at a decent priceā€¦even though I prefer Nikon.

Please take the time to learn how to use this camera. Infuriating seeing people never stray from ā€œautoā€ mode. Practice. Make mistakesā€¦all you have to do is hit the delete button.

So, does this mean that the camera is good, but you would need a different lens to shoot indoors? If so, what size indoor lens would you recommend?

If you use this camera the same as your point-and-shoot, it will probably give you only marginally better results.

The areas youā€™ll notice are light sensitivity for low light situations, image size (pixel count), and optics.

But youā€™ll have room to grow by experimenting, and the option to buy better lenses and accessories.

This is a good entry-level DSLR at a good price.

For what itā€™s worth, itā€™s a really good camera. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s worth getting 3 ā€¦

No. It is. Buy 3.

This is a great starter DSLR that offers a lot at a very reasonable price. Do not confuse this model with the T2i that was offered on Woot not long ago and goes for some more bucks.

Price comparisons,
Amazon = $457.96
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B004J3Y9U6

B&H Photo Video = $457.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753766-REG/Canon_5757B002_EOS_Rebel_T3_Digital.html

Ebay = $416.50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Model-Canon-T3-1100D-18-55-Lens-EOS-Digital-Rebel-SLR-Camera-Kit-NEW-/140839799258?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item20cab4c9da

reviews = 336 hit link and scroll to bottom. Average 4.5 out of 5 stars
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753766-REG/Canon_5757B002_EOS_Rebel_T3_Digital.html

If you want to step up to DSLR and you do not want to do it with a mortgage payment, this outfit will do very nicely and you will see from the reviews owners really like it.

The Canon T3 will probably have higher ISO (gain) settings available than most point-and-shoot cameras. That gives you flexibility (at the cost of extra noise/grain) for low light.

You can buy expensive glass, but I think the kit is actually pretty well-balanced for beginners.

Note: the zoom lens says f3.5/f5.6 which means you get more light when zoomed out (wide).

My sister and I bought the Rebel T3 for our mother on Motherā€™s Day. It is a fantastic entry into the DSLR world. Remember the adage ā€“ buy the body, invest in glass. If youā€™re going to enter the Canon world of lenses, this is a good body to use to get started.

I was surprised at how light it is compared to my Pentax K7, but the Pentax has a metal body and weather seals, where the T3 isnā€™t either. For carrying around, the T3 seems like it would be more comfortable over a long day.

This does not have the higher-res sensor, etc. as the T3i but if youā€™re coming from a point-and-shoot, regardless of its resolution, this is an upgrade in image quality.

Try this: Set your camera for aperture priority and the largest aperture (3.5)ā€¦then start to zoom. It almost instantly starts dropping to 5.6. So really, itā€™s a 5.6 lens that sometimes is a 3.5.

If you donā€™t need a lot of tele, the 50mm 1.8 (non-zoom) is a great lens. Acts like a 75mm 1.8 on these bodies.

2 of those ā€œlensesā€ in that kit are actually conversion lenses that screw on the front of the kit lens, not native EOS lenses. That type of lens are typically low quality

I donā€™t believe the T3 and D3100 are at the same level, so the Nikon should be ranked higher. I think the T3i (or even T4i) would be more comparable to the D3100. The T3 is at the bottom end of the Canon D-SLR chain. I have a 60D myself (upgraded from a T1i). I donā€™t recall the differences between the T3 and T3i, but I know the T3 is the lower model. It would still be an economical upgrade from a point-and-shoot.

Boston architecture, about to be destroyed to make way for a new high-rise, again. 6 stories high is the highest of the ones I can recall.

Of course, as you should know, Typing in the words ā€œWOOT-OFF KILLERā€ will always result in a post that reads ā€œWOOT-OFF KILLER,ā€ or something similar.

I have this camera, and Iā€™ve shot amazing sports (football and lacrosse) photos with it for the last 6 months. I do have a larger lens (75-300mm) than what comes with this camera, but itā€™s incredibily easy to use, takes wonderful photos (with the right lens). This is good price for this camera!

Just read some of my account information and I signed up with woot on October 22, 2008! Also, the ā€œdesignerā€ of my avatar is named Will Guy. My bosses name is Guy and his friend and business partnerā€™s name is Will. Also, my last BOC was on October 11, 2011, so I think Iā€™m due for another!

I have been out of the game for a while, but do those show up anymore? I thought they did them differently nowadays, like Facebooks giveaways and such. Like the treasure hunt and so onā€¦I donā€™t knowā€¦

And I photograph old people at work. They donā€™t move fast, so I donā€™t need a great ISO, right?

It really depends on your needs and budget. How much zoom do you want, are you shooting stationary objects or moving? It gets a lot tougher shooting fast-moving objects indoors (sports for example). You can spend thousands on a Canon L lens. For a smaller zoom range, I happen to have a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 which can be had for around $500. It allows you to lock in at f/2.8 even when zooming, which most of the kit lenses wonā€™t do. If you donā€™t need to zoom, a prime lens like a 50mm or 85mm f/1.8 is a great option. Thereā€™s really not one correct answer. Unless youā€™re loaded, then buy a bunch of Canon L glass. :slight_smile:

Love, Love, LOVE this camera! Totally worth the money. I take a lot of action shots of my kids playing sports and the photos are never blurry and the florecent lighting in gyms are not a problem either. I would however invest in a nicer lens that what the camera comes with.