Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR

Here’s all the details, and more than you’d probably think of knowing about the camera Canon Rebel T3 / EOS 1100D Review: Digital Photography Review

I’m waiting for a good deal for a DSLR body only. Personally I’d rather save money and not have the kit lens.

Again Woot offers a Digital SLR Camera.

While many already know that SLR stands for, Single Lens Reflex and in fact knows what that is, I am sure there will be a visitor or two here that does not. So their question would be, What is SLR or, Single Lens Reflex?

So for those of you that do not know and while giving thought to buying this camera or another SLR, here is the link to explain exactly what SLR or Single Lens Reflex is.

Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR and 18-55 IS II Lens Kit - $399.99 + $5 S&H - Good Deal?

Price Comparisons

Amazon = $499.00 + Free Shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B004J3Y9U6

Target = $499.00 + shipping

Sears = $549.00 + ships free
http://www.sears.com/canon-eos-rebel-t3-18-55mm-12.2-megapixel/p-00353399000P

In comparison the price today on Woot is a good deal.

The Canon T3 is an excellent entry in to Digital Single Lens Reflex. One person posting stated that some “serious” photographers kind of looked down there nose at his T3. Well, there are ‘snoots and snobs’ every where you go and in photography, we have about double the number. This Camera, will deliver great pictures right out of the box but, if you take the time to go past the auto settings and learn exactly what the capabilities are and use them, your photos will really shine. You may even then decide to step up to a higher priced camera. Bottom line, this is not a bad deal on a great starter DSLR from a quality manufacturer. Until that time the T3 will have you in the world of SLR without you having to get a second mortgage.

My husband and I bought this camera last December in preparation for the birth of our first child. We got a package deal from Best Buy which included the telephoto lens as well. I’d say the telephoto lens is the better of the two. It’s given me some amazing shots (which look very professional, and I’m far from a professional photographer).

If you want a good camera that will give you good pictures with good options, this is the way to go. Keep in mind there is somewhat of a learning curve if you want the really nice pictures, but the internet is a plethora of tutorials.

This is a very solid camera … I have owned it for over a year. When they first came out around 2010, they were going for $600.

Picked one up last time around, and have been very pleased with it. I’m just learning the ropes on a DSLR (had a 35 mm SLR years ago, but set it when we picked up our first digital point-and-shoot).

Have noticed that when you shoot several shots using the built-in flash (in this case, outdoor portrait shots, with the flash for fill light) that there was a bit of lag sometimes until the camera was ready to take the next pic. Not sure if that was necessarily delay in the flash charging for the next one, or that it was taking a while to save the image to the SD card.

Other than that little nit, I’m having a lot of fun with this camera.

I was excited to see this until I noticed it’s missing the “i” in the model name :frowning:

With the T4 series out now, I’m waiting for it to push the T3i down further in price so I can pick one of those up instead. It’s nearly twice the camera the T3 is in every way.

I’ve been waiting about a year to upgrade my oldschool Rebel XT.

If you just want a cheap DSLR, this would be it. If you want to step into a cheap DSLR you can keep for the next 10 years that sits on the “prosumer” level, look at spending the extra for the T3i.

What’s different between the models? I think you know how google works.

Attention “gym photographers:” This outfit is not going to deliver the results YOU want if your goal is to get frozen-action shots of your kid scoring the winning basket in the high school tournament.

The lenses do not have large enough apertures to allow sufficient light in to permit a high shutter speed. Things are getting better with each new model, but (right now) there ain’t no free lunch.

Every time I have a class or tutoring session, somebody pulls out this basic “kit” set (great for outdoors) and then looks like I just told them their dog has died when I deliver the bad news about shooting in the gym.

You need to learn some photo basics (apertures/shutter speeds/ISOs) and you will be able to make a much more informed decision.

Not want to do all that? Locate some magic fairy dust and sprinkle it on the camera to make it all better. I’m sure Woot! will have some again next week.

Looked around for a while, and true, this is a bit high for this camera…especially since you can get the T3i updated version, plus an additional AF zoom, plus a case, plus a printer for $599 (after a $400 rebate):

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2997

You can find that bundle at B&H photo. I got it two weeks ago.

[BR][BR]

Bought this last time it was on Woot b/c we wanted a real camera for getting action kids pictures so far it has delivered. The lens was good enough to capture many great shots of our recent dark gymnasium grade school play without using a flash. Also had great results using the sports mode shooting my son’s soccer game in overcast Oregon weather.

Yes, it’s basic, and yes if you need a new printer and a case (we did not) you might find a better deal for a few hundred dollars more but if you only want a camera that takes great shots I think this is a great deal. When I shopped around there was nothing better, anyhow.

I bought a Canon EOS Rebel about 3 years ago. It’s been nothing but a joy. I’ve taken over 9,000 pictures with it. Very reliable and capable of extremely great quality pictures. You won’t be disappointed.

Can you find a link for that on B&H website? I believe it has expired. I was waiting to order the same bundle and then the link I saved no longer exists. :tired_face:

obligatory ‘DSLR GEAR No Idea’

I definately agree. I bought this camera from Woot last month and I just got a Canon 28-135mm lens to extend the range of pictures I could take and the pictures come out simple beautiful. The big thing with this camera and any DSLR is knowing how to use it properly. The full auto mode is really good for those who have no clue how to use the manual settings but the real magic begins when you start using the manual modes to adjust the aperture and shutter speeds. I’ve searched all around and couldn’t find a better buy for this camera anywhere else.

I though that was the point of the SLR body, ability to interchange lenses. I have the model previous to this and with a 200mm telephoto you can get very good action shots indoors. I also have 400mm and get very crisp shots from across the soccer field. It is a good camera body to start with, learn the basics, determine what kind of photos you want and get a lens that will best suite your desires.

Or, instead of wading through all the details, just read the final section, entitled “Conclusion”. This is a very mediocre camera, as evidenced by the 69% score given by dpreview.

I bought this T3 the last time around, to quickly and affordably replace my stolen 10 year old Nikon- I was a little nervous about switching over to Canon, but I have to say I have really enjoyed this camera- my long range plans are to keep investing in Canon lenses, then upgrade the body to maybe a 5D down the road- this has been the perfect way to do that- I have bought 2 other lenses so far, as well as a battery grip- when I bought it (for this price) it was $100 less than anywhere around including Wal-Mart, so for me, and what I was looking for, this was and still is a really good deal to move into a DSLR affordably…

Unfortunately, the pkg you speak of is not available anymore…bummer!!

I forgot to mention the video capability- although this model is not full frame, the video quality is incredible- 2 days after I got this T3, I was at an event where they asked me if I could take video with the camera- I stumbled around and figured out to use manual focusing, but the footage was used in a television commercial- yes it was THAT good…