Canon PowerShot N 12.1 MP CMOS

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Canon PowerShot N 12.1 MP CMOS
Price: $99.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days. (Wednesday, Oct 21 to Monday, Oct 26) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Canon PowerShot N 12.1 MP CMOS) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Canon PowerShot N 12.1 MP CMOS) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Canon - Google Shopping PowerShot N 12.1 MP CMOS)

Check out the product page and check out this review over at Cnet

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-n-black-refurbished

Yes it’s refurbished but for $90 + free shipping, $15 less than woot 100+5 shipping, you also get:
FREE PowerShot N Blue Jacket
FREE Neck Strap PSN-200
FREE 4GB SD Card

Reviews over at B&H Photo

I still suggest finding a compact camera that has a traditional optical viewfinder or one of the newer miniature electronic eyepieces. Or getting something a bit bigger that is either a DSLR or (again) a new model with a high quality electronic eyepiece viewfinder.

We all know how hard it is to compose a shot outdoors with only the big screen on back. Also those with vision problems may have to remove their glasses to get a look at the screen.

Sadly, a tradition optical viewfinder that zooms along with the lens is now almost only found in “boutique” cameras costing $1,000 or more.

I’ve found several excellent used Powershots with optical finders in the 8-10 MP range for $5-$50. Sure, it’s not 12 or 20, but I don’t care.

If you read to the very end of a lot of photomag reviews, the writer mentions that it would sure be nice to have a second finder. But the industry has done a great job of covering up the fact that they pulled out the second finder to simply save money and keep the price down.

Bottom line: if you can’t see what you are shooting, you are just taking a snapshot.

Get the right tool for the job.

That is a good consideration. Though it’s a bit like saying a Tablet is not as useful as a Laptop computer because of the Keyboard. Or a 2-door coupe is not as useful as a 4-door sedan.

I accept that. But saying such things is really not much of a review of the products.

I passed on this camera and waited for the N2. This is a great little camera, but doesn’t have sophistication of the N2 which can take amazing photos at any angle. It is a bit quirky to figure out how to use it vs. a conventional compact camera or a SLR, but for the size, portability, useability and price point it can’t be beat.

I liked the idea of making this mod to the PowerShot N, only because I want a waist level digital camera.

A better analogy for the usefulness of an eye level viewfinder on a camera would be: driving a car with a steering wheel vs. a tiller.

Viewfinder? I’ve been taking semi-pro photos for 30 years, and complaints about lack of viewfinders are just personal preference. An SLR-style viewfinder may be more useful to some for framing the image you want to take, but I find it more useful to have a display that shows the actual live image the camera is about to take. Having a viewfinder on this would be like adding a sidecar to a Jeep: this wasn’t a good choice for you to begin with.

I for one welcome our new mirrorless over1ords. The Powershot N is a perfectly serviceable point-and-shoot camera, with an interesting form factor. As some have noted, having a camera that can be set up for waist-level shooting, or strapped on for gopro-style recording can be really handy. Rev 2 adds some neat enhancements to remote live view and recording, but this R1 is a nice compromise between a gopro and a pocketable P&S.

Or a sailboat also with a motor.

Or a bathtub also with a showerhead.

Or a refrigerator also with a clock.

Or a desktop computer also with a touchscreen.

Or a guy that can cook and also remember to take out the trash without being told.

Just pointing out a fact to consider. I am not reviewing this camera, just offering an opinion on the style of shooting one chooses and finding the right camera to fi the style.

Removing the optical finder is a fairly recent move. I have a half-dozen 5 and 8 MP cameras and they ALL have optical finders. Removing them was certainly not triggered by consumer demand.

Although, I must admit, some of my students never even noticed their camera had a second viewfinder.

My point is that if you can’t see the image on the screen (bright sun, etc,) you might as well just close your eyes and press the shutter.

If this style of camera floats your boat, go for it. But there are those who prefer a more studied approach.

Some of the new mirrorless cameras can now display in the eyepiece a variety of views, one showing what the image will look like and another showing a more optical-like image.

[How did you shoot a film camera 30 years ago without a viewfinder?]

“If you can’t see the image” is a narrow use case. I would use a DSLR with a viewfinder for quick framing of action shots in bright sunlight, but most of what I shoot is indoors, low light, or astrophotography where live image preview is critical for good results. For the latter especially, having a viewfinder is useless and the movement of a reflex mirror when attached to a telescope always degrades the image quality. (Sensor-shift IS is great, but can’t handle oscillation induced in a larger lens from the mirror movement.)

“More studied approach” is a bit of baseless judgement. Optical viewfinder was all we had back then. I studied it plenty, and find I get better images from live view displays in most cases.

“30 years ago” I used the viewfinder. And when live view displays became available, I appreciated them for what they could do.

Still debating whether I’m in for 1…

FYI to those who ordered but have not yet received - this new camera from Woot does come with both the blue jacket and the neck strap. I was pleased to find that out when I opened the box!