Canon Vixia HR10 High Definition Camcorder

That’s correct. There’s no mic input, and no headphone output for monitoring. Canon doesn’t include these (IMHO essential!) features in its lower-end consumer cameras.

Good complete review here:

I have the tape based contemporary versions of this camera (HV-10 and HV-20). Image quality is great, but the DVD recording limitations of this model will be a hassle (this model won’t record video to SD card).

While it is true that at the highest bitrate (12mbps) you can only get 15 minutes on a single-layer disc and 27 on a double-layer disc - the other bitrate modes are still quite high quality.

Both 9mbps and 6mbps should still look quite good. So you can definitely record a higher amount of minutes for a negligible loss in quality.

I am not a fan of camcorders that use discs though - because it is very easy for the discs to get scratched / get off rotation if you happen to be in a car and hit a speed bump or if you are at a concert and get pushed a few times by the mosh pits.

SAYS IT ALL:

“Our conclusion is this: if you want a high definition camcorder, don’t even consider DVD for the time being.”

Just remember that the review was based on the MSRP of $1199, not on the woot price. I suspect their review would have been quite a bit more positive at $299.

Shipping Update

Canon Vixia HR10 High Definition Camcorder has completely shipped via FEDEX Ground. All tracking will be emailed to members who purchased this item. If you would like to find your tracking information sooner, please click the following link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING